Providenciales, 07 Oct 2015 – A Lew 1 Shipping tug boat was lost, a barge owned by Clay Arthur is ruined and vehicles in the parking lot of Belfield Landing in Kew, North Caicos were destroyed and that is just some of the damages on the country’s bread basket island after the recent storm.
Reports continue to come in on the losses from Hurricane Joaquin, which last week, for three days battered the islands in its outer bands as it moved up the TCI and Bahamas archipelago.
It is said, some owners of those parked vehicles at Belfield are not yet even aware of the loss.
The Premier, following a Saturday damage assessment tour of affected islands did say the Government farm was hard hit and Magnetic Media has learned that specifically means trees are uprooted with a substantial loss in fruit trees at the site.
FortisTCI has also been summoned to North Caicos to sort out a twist of trees and power lines near the Government farm. Flooding this time around in the North was minimal, water has subsided and only debris is left for clean-up.
The causeway is under phase two construction right now following battering in the 2008 hurricane season, and the temporary roadway created as a bypass between North and Middle Caicos while work continues, has been underwater since the storm; reports are it was impassable.
There was also a truck lost in the hurricane; the Public Works Department vehicle was washed away by a giant wave, we are told.
The Disaster Management Department will speak to Magnetic Media later today as it continues damage assessment and confronts public criticism that there was insufficient information coming and that caused residents to be unprepared for the ferociousness of Hurricane Joaquin.
Jamaica declares DENGUE OUTBREAK; control measures amped up
#Jamaica, September 29, 2023 – As Jamaica battles a dengue outbreak, the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development is taking steps to fortify the country’s resilience to the mosquito borne disease.
The Department announced it will be providing funds for the emergency response to contain the dengue outbreak, according to Desmond McKenzie, Minister of Local Government, as reported by JIS.
McKenzie was in talks with Journalists at the Spanish Court Hotel in Kingston this past Wednesday, September 27th when he revealed that the resources will come from the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA).
In fact, work, he expressed, is already being done as he informed that discussions have started with Jamaica’s Minister of Health and Wellness to see to the roll out of clean-up programmes to ensure communities do not morph into breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
It was reported that: “International health authorities have reported elevated dengue fever activity across multiple areas in Jamaica, with more than 560 suspected cases (78 confirmed) reported Jan. 1-Sept. 22. This is compared to the 59 cases reported over a similar period in 2022. Majority of the confirmed cases were reported in Kingston, Saint Andrew, Saint Catherine, and Saint Thomas. The Jamaican Ministry of Health & Wellness has deployed vector control workers across the island to high-risk communities. This report represents the most complete data available as of Sept. 29.”
These clean up initiatives, the minister points out, will be in operation in the days to come and they will commence in areas identified by the Ministry of Health; the plan is to later extend the efforts other communities.
In continuation, Audley Gordon, Executive Director of the NSWMA, spoke of vulnerable areas which he termed the “problematic sites”, informing that they are scheduled for action, including the removal of bulky waste by his teams, adding that the “NSWMA is fully ready to play its part in what we are asked to do, starting this weekend”.
Not only will the programmes clean the respective areas, they will call community members to practice proper garbage disposal, as people often fail to acknowledge the importance of these hygienic habits.
New Look, New Tactics as TCI Border Force set to start October
#TurksandCaicos, September 29, 2023 – The Turks and Caicos Border Force will be up and running by next month according to Arlington Musgrove, Minister of Immigration and Border Services who gave a national update on the progress of the squad during a recent parliamentary meeting.
“We now have a date of October 30th, 2023 for the launch of the first phase,” he explained. The force has been described as ‘revolutionary by Anya Williams, Deputy Governor.
Musgrove was speaking in the House of Assembly on September 20th and revealed that this initial phase will incorporate the Customs and Border Protection agencies as well as the Intelligence and Corporate Units.
Musgrove explained that the Corporate Unit would serve as a sort of auditor for the Border Force and the Ministry.
“Our Corporate Unit will include our assurance functions that will audit our processes and our actions to ensure that we are upholding the mission, vision, and principles of our Border Force,” he said.
The minister is promising updated operating structures, agents with new skills and a new look with updated uniforms, all in an effort to tighten the country’s security at its very porous borders.
The Force is aiming to secure the TCI against human and drug trafficking (which in recent weeks have shown an alarming correlation), arms trafficking, poaching and more.
“Not only will we look different, but we will also work differently – and that is what is key,” the minister promised.
The Force will be under the control of Emilio Seymour who was appointed Director General back in April.
More security features, including the long-awaited container scanners for the country’s ports, are also on the Minister’s agenda.
CUBAN MIGRANTS DETAINED ALONG EXUMA CHAIN
Defence Headquarters 28 SEP ’23: HMBS P-45 under the command of Chief Petty Officer Acadia Smith detained a group of Cuban migrants in Cistern Cay, Exuma on September 27, 2023, due to information received from a Good Samaritan vessel in the area that handed them over to the Royal Bahamas Defence Force.
Members of HMBS P-45 retrieved twenty-eight (28) Cuban nationals and transported them to HMBS Coral Harbour in New Providence. All individuals appeared to be in good health and will undergo further processing and assessment by Immigration officials.
The Royal Bahamas Defence Force remains dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in guarding our heritage and appreciates the sharing of information and intelligence provided by the boating community to affect migrants and other unlawful interdictions at sea.
(For additional information, contact the RBDF Public Relations Department or visit our official website at www.rbdf.gov.bs. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates and explore our engaging content on our YouTube channel).
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
News6 days ago
Police say DNA confirmed identity of headless body
News6 days ago
Carnival cruise port is open to others Cruise ships — Management
Caribbean News6 days ago
Smart City Project a Testament to Innovation, Progressive – Dr. Morris Dixon
Finance6 days ago
UK holds steady on interest rates
News6 days ago
Grand Turk drops in Rank for Cruising, Port profits down; Still Optimism High after major meeting with Carnival
News6 days ago
Environmental Health Officers participate in Legionella Training
News4 days ago
SIPT Trial Verdicts; TWO GUILTY, Two Not Guilty with Hall and Green taken into Custody
News6 days ago
Suriname President calls for Swift Action to fend off Climate Change at UN