Connect with us

TCI News

Mike slams Governor; says COVID should not stop Elections

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, February 6, 2021 – A former country leader is blasting the Governor, saying comments he has made to a local newspaper are based in biased and have little to do with Turks and Caicos actually being unable to carry on with the February 19 General Elections.

“There are two weeks to elections.  He can do what he likes to do and bring in police from other overseas territories if extra police are needed. In relation to poll workers, I am sure there would be enough volunteers.  There is more than enough time to prepare,” said Michael E. Misick to Magnetic Media.

An article published in the most recent edition of the TCI Sun Newspaper features comments from H.E Nigel Dakin, TCI Governor.  Governor Dakin says the precarious position of Turks and Caicos having such a surge in positive cases of the coronavirus could threaten the territory’s ability to stage the 2021 General Elections.

Misick, on Facebook said, “The governor has finally gone Crazy.  Must be the vaccine.”

The ex-premier, who has joined the campaign trail in support of the Progressive National Party draws comparisons and points to other countries where General Elections have been held despite the grip of the pandemic, naming Bermuda, Dominican Republic, the United States and St. Vincent and the Grenadines in his post.

To Magnetic Media, Misick said the comments made by Governor Nigel Dakin exposed that he did not prepare.  Missick adds that constitutionally he has a duty to ensure free and fair elections happen in a timely manner.

“He knew months ago that elections were imminent and should have prepared for it.  He also knows that we are in the middle of a pandemic.  There is no excuse.  In other Caribbean countries like Jamaica and the Dominican Republic with millions of voters, they could hold elections; so can we.”

The Governor said the possibility of a postponement of the national polls could be decided if there were insufficient election workers to manage the process or if the islands were too overrun with Covid-19 cases that holding the vote posed too great a risk to public health.

The Elections Supervisor has been asked to build a reserve team.  The Chief Medical Officer would advise on the public health risk, but Governor Nigel Dakin informed the decision would be his to make and a delay up 24 March is permissible.  Any delay beyond that time would require an Order in Council he told the Sun.

“…a delay would be the very last option I would wish to employ – I would be loath to do it – and through consultation I know this is also the position of Leaders of the two main political parties.  I doubt there is anyone in the TCI that wishes this to happen either.”  

Michael Misick flatly states if a postpone were to materialize, it would fuel the perspective that  “He fell down in his duties by allowing Sharlene Robinson to have not set a date when the House was dissolved.  Elections should have been in December, or January the latest,” explained Michael Misick.

The former PNP party leader added, “The present government’s mandate expired since December 16.  It’s unacceptable that the PDM has exceeded their mandate and still playing with the people’s democratic right to choose a government for the next four years.”

At this time, the governor says the elections are firmly set for February 19, 2021 with voting hours extended from 7am to 9pm; with three slots for voting including 2 to 3 hours for Covid-19 patients and those under observation or quarantine to turn up in order to exercise their constitutional right to vote. 

The Elections Office on Friday revealed the voting plan and the health protocols for General Election Day.

Health

Grand Turk Residents Fear Norovirus-Linked Cruise as Health Ministry Approves Docking

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 22, 2026 – Residents in Grand Turk raised concerns last week after a cruise ship previously linked to a major norovirus outbreak was cleared to dock in the Turks and Caicos Islands days after passengers were reportedly denied disembarkation in The Bahamas over health fears.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the outbreak sickened 115 people — including 102 passengers and 13 crew members — during a voyage which ran from April 28 to May 11. The illnesses involved symptoms commonly associated with norovirus, including vomiting and diarrhea.

The outbreak became public on May 7 and quickly triggered concern across the region.

Authorities in Nassau reportedly refused to allow passengers off the vessel because of public health concerns connected to the outbreak.

That decision later fueled anxiety among some Turks and Caicos residents when the ship proceeded to Grand Turk on May 15.

Residents’ concerns were not without cause.

Norovirus is a highly contagious viral illness often associated with cruise ships, hotels, schools and other environments where large groups of people share close quarters. The virus primarily causes sudden vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and nausea, and spreads rapidly through contaminated food, water, surfaces and person-to-person contact.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most healthy people recover within one to three days, but norovirus can become serious — and occasionally fatal — for elderly individuals, young children and people with weakened immune systems because of severe dehydration. While the overall fatality rate is considered very low, the CDC estimates norovirus contributes to hundreds of deaths annually in the United States, mainly among vulnerable populations.

The Turks and Caicos Ministry of Health and Human Services had said in a press statement on May 15, it believed the risks had been effectively neutralized before the vessel arrived in Grand Turk.

In a statement issued Thursday, the Ministry said the ship had already returned to Florida, where passengers disembarked and “comprehensive sanitization and deep-cleaning procedures were completed” before operations resumed.

The Ministry also stressed that its Public Health Team maintained “close and continuous communication” with the ship’s medical personnel, Carnival Cruise Line officials and stakeholders at the Grand Turk Cruise Centre before approving the docking.

Routine inspections and standard port health procedures were also carried out, according to officials.

The Ministry further reassured the public that there were “currently no public health concerns” associated with the vessel’s arrival.

Still, the situation once again highlighted the delicate balancing act Caribbean nations face between protecting public health and sustaining tourism economies heavily dependent on cruise arrivals.

Officials are now encouraging vendors, taxi operators, tour companies and businesses to continue practicing strong sanitation and hygiene measures as an added precaution.

Residents were also reminded that frequent handwashing remains one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of norovirus and other infectious illnesses.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Education

TCFFA and TCICC sign historic MOU to launch Turks and Caicos’ first Sustainable Fly Fishing curriculum

Published

on

Twenty+ Turks Islanders will become the country’s first endorsed and regionally-recognised flats-fishing guides and Train-The-Trainers under the new partnership — part of a programme designed to secure a local stake in the Caribbean’s multi-million-dollar sport-fishing economy.

 

PROVIDENCIALES — Twenty+ young Turks Islanders are about to become the country’s first nationally-certified flats-fishing guides and instructors. Their training — and the industry it anchors — began this week with the signing of a landmark partnership agreement.

On Wednesday, the Turks and Caicos Fly Fishing Association (TCFFA) and the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College (TCICC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to deliver the country’s first endorsed and regionally-recognised Sustainable Fly Fishing curriculum. The programme is funded by the UK Government through the Darwin Plus Local initiative, delivered through TCICC’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Blue Economy programme, and built on a proven Bahamian model developed with the Bahamas Fly Fishing Industry Association.

The first cohort will certify Twenty+ Turks Islanders as Flats-Fishing Guides and Train-The-Trainers — drawn from Providenciales, North Caicos, South Caicos, Middle Caicos and Grand Turk, and supported by Invest Turks and Caicos Islands through its MSME Programme’s Technical Assistance.

The stakes are not theoretical. Next door in the Bahamas, recreational fisheries contribute over US $500 million annually to the national economy and employ more than 18,000 Bahamians (FAO, 2016). The flats fishing sector alone generates approximately US $169 million a year, supported by more than 250 certified guides and the equivalent of 7,800 full-time jobs across lodging, meals, transport and retail (Fedler, 2019, Bonefish & Tarpon Trust). Guided anglers spend roughly three times more per trip than other visitors, and more than 90 percent say they would not travel to the destination if the fishery were unavailable.

Turks and Caicos has the same flats, the same bonefish, and one small but meaningful edge of its own: waters that run a touch warmer through the winter months, when cold fronts can slow fishing elsewhere in the Caribbean. With this MOU in place, the country now has the institutional foundation to match.

For TCFFA, the programme is more than a training initiative. It is a monumental milestone in building livelihoods around nature and nature-guiding — an approach the Association considers the way forward for Turks and Caicos tourism. It is a direct expression of the country’s own national promise: Beautiful by Nature.

“This MOU is more than a document. It is the foundation of a national industry. For the first time, Turks Islander fly fishing guides have an endorsed and regionally-recognised, locally-delivered pathway into a profession that has long been built on their knowledge but not always on their terms. We are building an industry where the value of our flats stays with our people.”

— Levardo Talbot, President, Turks and Caicos Fly Fishing Association

The programme has been formally endorsed by senior education, tourism and government leaders, who underscore its national significance:

“This partnership represents the future of education in action. At TCICC, we are intentional about designing programmes that are not only academically sound but also economically relevant and globally competitive. Through this Sustainable Fly Fishing curriculum, we are transforming indigenous knowledge into a structured, internationally recognised profession. This is how we build capacity, create opportunity, and ensure that Turks and Caicos Islanders are not just participants in our tourism economy, but leaders within it.”

— Dr. Candice Williams, President & CEO, Turks and Caicos Islands Community College

“This initiative exemplifies the kind of forward-thinking, industry-aligned education that we are committed to advancing across the Turks and Caicos Islands. It reflects our national priority to equip our people with skills that are both relevant and transformative. By embedding certification, sustainability, and entrepreneurship into this programme, we are empowering our young people to access new pathways for meaningful employment and to contribute to sectors that are critical to our economic future. This is education with purpose, and education that delivers impact.”

— Hon. Rachel Taylor, Minister of Education

“This partnership signals a defining moment in the evolution of our tourism product. Sustainable fly fishing represents a high-value, low-impact niche that aligns seamlessly with the Turks and Caicos Islands brand and our broader vision for sustainable tourism development.

By investing in the certification and development of local guides, we are not only strengthening the authenticity of our tourism offering, but also creating a new entrepreneurial pathway for Turks and Caicos Islanders within the blue economy. This initiative ensures that more of the economic benefits generated from this growing global market are retained within our communities while empowering Islanders to build businesses around their knowledge, skills, and natural environment.

At the same time, this partnership positions the Turks and Caicos Islands to compete in a lucrative international niche while safeguarding the very natural assets that make our destination unique.”

— Hon. Zhavargo Jolly, Minister of Tourism, Environment, Fisheries and Marine Affairs

ENDORSEMENTS AND SUPPORTERS

Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands. The Hon. Rachel Taylor, Minister of Education; The Hon. Zhavargo Jolly, Minister of Tourism, Environment, Fisheries and Marine Affairs; the Department of Tourism Regulations; the Department of Fisheries and Marine Resources Management; the Department of Environment and Coastal Resources; and the Department of Maritime and Shipping.

National industry and investment partners. Turks and Caicos Islands Community College (TCICC/TVET); Invest Turks and Caicos Islands; Experience Turks and Caicos; and the Bahamas Fly Fishing Industry Association.

National and international conservation partners. The Bahamas Fly Fishing Association, The Turks and Caicos National Trust; the Turks and Caicos Reef Fund; the Environmental Defense Fund; the Marine Conservation Society; the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds; and BirdsCaribbean.

PHOTO CAPTIONS:

HEADER – Members of the Turks and Caicos Fly Fishing Association Ltd. (TCFFA) following the official Memorandum of Understanding signing ceremony with the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College (TCICC).

INSERT – Dr. Candice Williams, President and CEO of TCICC, and Mr. Lavardo Talbot, President of TCFFA, during the official signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the two organisations.

Continue Reading

News

Holness Hails Jamaican Police Impact in TCI

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 19, 2026 – Jamaica’s Prime Minister Dr. the Most Honourable Andrew Holness used his weekend visit to Turks and Caicos to spotlight a security partnership now being credited with helping to drive down murders and major crime across the islands.

Holness was in Providenciales for the official opening celebrations of Sandals Resorts International’s US$150 million Treasure Beach Village at Beaches Turks and Caicos, where he joined regional dignitaries, including Her Excellency the Governor Dileeni Daniel-Selvaratnam and Premier Hon. Charles Washington Misick.

But beyond the tourism headlines, Holness also met with the Jamaica Constabulary Force contingent currently deployed in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

“I am in Turks and Caicos Islands, where I am meeting with a contingent from the Jamaica Constabulary Force,” Holness posted. “These officers have been instrumental in helping to reduce crime here in the islands.”

The Jamaican Prime Minister said the officers’ work reflected the strength of their training and added that the TCI Government was pleased with their service under Commissioner Fitz Bailey.

The deployment began formally on May 20, 2025, when the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force welcomed 30 JCF officers, who took oaths of office during a swearing-in ceremony. Police said at the time the deployment was part of a strategic move to strengthen operational and tactical capacity.

Current reporting from The Gleaner describes the Jamaican team as a 28-member contingent now stationed in TCI. Premier Misick told the newspaper the officers have had a “tremendous and positive” impact. He said murders fell from 47 in 2024 to 27 in 2025, with no murders recorded from September to mid-May, while major crimes declined by roughly 50 to 60 percent.

Local media in the Turks and Caicos Islands have reported similar historical context, listing TCI murders at 48 in 2024 and 27 in 2025, after years of fluctuating but worsening violent crime.

Governor Daniel-Selvaratnam described the partnership as one that is “building capability, delivering tangible results and helping to keep our communities safe.” Her office said Holness, the Governor and Premier Misick met the Jamaican tactical officers to thank them for their service and discuss transnational threats, social drivers of crime and sustainable growth.

The partnership has also expanded into training. In March, officers from the JCF, RTCIPF and TCI Regiment completed joint Level Two tactical training in Jamaica, with 31 law enforcement officers participating, including 20 from TCI and 11 from Jamaica.

Holness praised the officers as ambassadors for Jamaica, saying their work showed the JCF’s ability to operate regionally and internationally.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING