Connect with us

TCI News

Joint Statement: TCI Tourist Board and Ministry of Tourism on New York’s Quarantine Requirement

Published

on

#TurksandCaicosIslands – October 1, 2020 – The Ministry of Tourism, Turks and Caicos Tourist Board and our friends in the private sector including the TCHTA are following closely and with much interest the New York state executive order which mandates international travelers entering New York from CDC identified level 2 and 3 countries to quarantine for 14 days. Currently Turks and Caicos is identified as a level 3 country by the CDC.

The east coast, and particularly New York, is a major gateway for visitors to our destination. Additionally, the USA market as of 2019 accounted for 82% of air arrivals to the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Consequently, the Tourist Board and Ministry of Tourism have taken actionable steps in response to this decision. The Tourist Board, has reached out directly to New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office and the Ministry of Tourism is working closely with the Ministry of Health to address the CDC’s categorization of Turks and Caicos as a level 3 country.

The Turks and Caicos Islands has made significant progress in its efforts to minimize the spread of COVID-19. This is evident given the decrease of positive COVID-19 cases reported in recent weeks. The Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands has prioritized the health and wellness of both our residents and visitors by introducing stringent public health protocols which are proving to be successful. Therefore, we will continue to engage our partners and work diligently to ensure that Turks and Caicos Islands is excluded from being subject to the quarantine order expeditiously.

Hon Ralph Higgs, Minister of Tourism, Turks and Caicos Islands

In closing the Minister of Tourism Hon. Ralph Higgs stated, “Since the reopening of our borders on July 22, 2020, we have welcomed thousands of visitors, who have enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of our islands and people. And while we are confident that we can continue to do so, I urge all residents and visitors to strictly adhere to the health protocols that are currently in place to help combat this virus”.

PRESS RELEASE

Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.

Bahamas News

Imminent Worldwide Measles Threat; 25 Million CHILDREN miss First Dose

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

December 2, 2022 – Forty million children are at risk of Measles as what the World Health Organization is describing as an “imminent threat” takes shape. A joint report between the WHO and the U.S. Centres for Disease Control revealed that a record number of children missed their measles dose with 25 million children missing their first dose and 14.7 million children missing their second dose in 2021 alone.

Nine million cases of measles were recorded last year, twenty-two countries experienced large and disruptive outbreaks and 128,000 deaths occurred, the report says.

“The paradox of the pandemic is that while vaccines against COVID-19 were developed in record time and deployed in the largest vaccination campaign in history, routine immunization programmes were badly disrupted, and millions of kids missed out on life-saving vaccinations against deadly diseases like measles,” said Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General.

Measles is easily one of the most contagious viruses in the world and while many people think itchy spots when they think of the disease it can cause pneumonia, seizures and brain damage in about 30 percent of infected individuals.

Herd immunity will not work with this disease, say experts, unless 95 per cent of people or more are vaccinated; only 71 per cent of children in 2022 are fully vaccinated.

“Measles anywhere is a threat everywhere” the report said, emphasizing that no WHO region has achieved and sustained measles elimination.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Safe and Responsible Whale Watching Practices

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, December 2, 2022 – As the migrating Humpback whales begin to grace our shores once again, the Department of Environment and Coastal Resources would like to appeal to all whale watching enterprises to carefully consider practices employed when enjoying and sharing encounters with these majestic animals.

Typically, the whales are migrating from the colder, nutrition-filled waters of the North Atlantic, to the warm waters of the West Indies. Along the way females will be accompanied by young, recently-calved juveniles, or may calve in warmer waters. Males may be solitary or move in larger groups in search of an appropriate mate.

As such, we are to respect this age-old migratory passage and act as custodians and stewards, ensuring the animals do not incur stress through overcrowding, inappropriately close encounters, racing vessels or an overstayed welcome.

Please adhere to the following etiquette to ensure a safe and sustainable whale-watching season in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

For further information on humpback whales, the Turks and Caicos Islands Whale Project, or responsible whale watching practices, please contact the DECR at 338-4170 or environment@gov.tc .

Continue Reading

News

FIREARM HOLDERS RENEWAL NOTICE

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, December 2, 2022 – The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force is notifying ALL Firearm Holders,  that renewal of Firearm Licenses for 2023 , commences December 01st  2022,  from Monday- Friday between  the hours of 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.

Firearm Holders residing on Providenciales, will have renewals done at the Tactical Office, Criminal Investigations Department (CID)  Headquarters , Airport Road, Providenciales.

Firearm Holders residing on Grand Turk, will have renewals done at the Grand Turk Police Station.

North and Middle Caicos, can access renewals at the North Caicos Police Station , while South Caicos renewals will take place at the South Caicos Police Station.

Firearm Holders are also reminded to walk with the following ORIGINAL documents and COPIES of same: the National Health Insurance Plan (NHIP), National Insurance Board (NIB) , Driver’s Licence and Passport .

 

Release: RTCIPF

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING