Connect with us

Caribbean News

Provisions of electricity opens opportunities for communities – Energy Minister

Published

on

 #Jamaica, August 22, 2017 – Montego Bay – Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley, says the provision of electricity in communities which were previously without the service forms part of the Government’s push to create economic opportunities for everyone.

Addressing a National Energy Solutions Limited (NESol) ceremony to officially commission electricity service to the Park Lee and Ridge Pen communities in Mountainside, South West St. Elizabeth, on August 18, Dr.   Wheatley said getting electricity to the community should also be viewed as mission accomplished, following a commitment he made to the residents early last year.

“By bringing electricity here, we are opening the doors and providing opportunities for the people,” the Minister said.

He encouraged the residents who will benefit from the electricity to remember the responsibilities which come with the service.   “It is not free…it comes with responsibility, so I encourage you to be responsible and to practise energy conservation,” he said.    He told the residents that following representation from Member of Parliament for South West St. Elizabeth, Hon. Floyd Green, a community access point (CAP) will soon be opened in the area.

This, the Minister said, is part of the Ministry’s push to get Jamaica on the information superhighway as the country works to attain its Vision 2030 developmental goals.

“The community access point is to ensure that we build out a knowledge-based society − a truly digital society − so that Jamaica can embrace the opportunities that are presented as the economy grows.   We do not want South West St. Elizabeth to be left behind,” he said.

“We want to create opportunities for young people, such as skills in animation and app development.   Even in the farming communities, you will be able to use technology,” the Minister added.

Meanwhile, the Member of Parliament said the installation of electricity in the communities forms part of efforts to restore hope for the residents.

“This is part of the reason why I went into politics…to make the lives of people better.   There is a lot more work to be done and we are going to ensure that we go community by community and look at the critical issues and treat with them.   In this modern-day Jamaica, you must have road, water and light that you can turn on. It is now a necessity,” Mr. Green said.

Also addressing the ceremony was Mayor of Black River and Councillor for the Mountainside Division of the St. Elizabeth Municipal Corporation, Derrick Sangster, who said residents of the communities are really happy that the service is being made available to them.

Some 150 households in the Park Lee and Ridge Pen communities will benefit from the electricity service.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

CARICOM Presses for Peace as Hormuz Conflict Drives Up Caribbean Costs 

Published

on

May 22, 2026 – The Caribbean Community is warning that the escalating conflict surrounding the Strait of Hormuz is now directly threatening Caribbean economies, driving up the cost of fuel, food and freight across a region heavily dependent on imports.

In a statement issued this week, CARICOM expressed “serious concern” over the worsening hostilities in the Middle East and the growing instability affecting one of the world’s most critical shipping corridors.

CARICOM said it is alarmed by: “the severe loss of life, threats to civil infrastructure, and the instability in global markets” resulting from the conflict.

The regional bloc warned that disruption in maritime transit through the Strait of Hormuz is reverberating across the global economy through: “energy markets, supply chains and increased freight costs.”

For Caribbean citizens, those consequences are already becoming painfully visible.

In Nassau, gasoline prices have surged again, with regular fuel now nearing or exceeding seven dollars per gallon at some stations. Consumers in other CARICOM countries are also reporting higher transportation costs, rising grocery bills and mounting pressure on household budgets.

The fear among regional leaders is that the crisis is far from over.

Roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas normally passes through the Strait of Hormuz, making it one of the most strategically important waterways in global trade. Analysts warn prolonged disruption could trigger even higher global inflation and deeper supply chain instability.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has now warned that the crisis could become a: “systemic agrifood shock” capable of triggering a severe global food price crisis within six to twelve months.

The Caribbean is especially vulnerable because of its dependence on imported fuel, imported food and imported manufactured goods.

A recent UN regional analysis warned that shockwaves from the Middle East conflict are already reaching Caribbean nations, where rising oil prices and freight costs are increasing the price of imported food, electricity and transportation.

Global institutions are also sounding increasingly dire warnings.

The World Bank projects energy prices could surge by 24 percent this year because of the conflict, while fertilizer prices may jump by more than 30 percent — increases likely to feed directly into higher food costs worldwide.

The International Monetary Fund has meanwhile warned the global economy could face a “much worse outcome” if the conflict drags into 2027 and oil prices continue climbing.

CARICOM is now calling for all parties to respect international law and preserve safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The Community stressed that transit passage:  “should not be contingent on any license, levy, or authorization,” and warned that bordering states should not “hamper or suspend” the movement of vessels through the corridor.

CARICOM also called for:  “cessation of hostilities” and urged “de-escalation and restraint by all parties.”

But for many Caribbean citizens, the economic pain is already here.

And with fuel nearing seven dollars per gallon in parts of The Bahamas, regional governments are facing renewed pressure over cost of living concerns, inflation and the Caribbean’s continued dependence on imported energy and food supplies.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF STEWART TOURISM EMPIRE PLAYS OUT IN COURTS

Published

on

May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute.  It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.

At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.

The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.

In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.

One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.

For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.

But the matter is far from settled.

Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.

The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.

Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.

Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.

For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge.  He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.

Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING