Providenciales, 17 Dec 2015 – The Special Investigation and Prosecution Team trials will start on January 18th, 2016 as scheduled. Every motion put to Justice Paul Harrison was denied and dismissed earlier today as the controversial cases, which are three years behind a scheduled start seem to be poised to gain momentum once we are past the holidays.
For some of the defendants this is good news as they are ready to see the trial begin, for others including Michael Misick and Floyd Hall, there is disappointment.
Misick tried to stay the trial claiming it was unconstitutional, that it was an abusive process victimizing him for political reasons and that it rivaled the specialty rule of the treaty which supports that charges cannot be increased.
Still, Justice Harrison concluded that the treaty is irrelevant as it is not adopted by TCI law, that the constitutional infraction is also irrelevant and if Michael Misick deems it necessary he can appeal any verdict and that ‘there was no abuse of process’.
The Justice said the offenses linked to alleged bribery and conspiracy are properly laid.’ In the case of ex Deputy Premier, Floyd Hall the Justice ruled that the six month time frame for the trial start to be delayed is excessive.
While he empathized with the new attorney for Hall that the evidence and information for the trial is both complex and plentiful, the Justice said the attorney which Floyd Hall had from the start should be able to appraise the new team on the case.
Harrison today told Earl Whitter, ‘council will have to make some effort to adjust’ as the trial will start in January on the date already proposed.
It was moved also today, that Michael Misick would see his curfew relaxed for the holidays, this came from Andrew Mitchell, lawyer for the SIPT.
The proceedings are now adjourned until January.
Grants for farmers
#TurksandCaicos, January 31, 2023 – Good Morning to my colleagues in government, I recognize……..and most importantly good morning to the farmers. It is my pleasure today to have you here at this award ceremony. For the very first time in Turks and Caicos, farmers are getting relief for hurricane damage.
This shows that the government is committed to ensuring that the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands have access to a constant and nutritious supply of food, reduce the food import bill and retain money in the local economy. Food Security is the foundation of all human needs. Given the threat to the global supply chain and growing inaccessibility to enough nutritious food, the Government is committed to supporting the farmers to produce local food, to supplement the food requirement of the country. My government’s priority is to provide an enabling environment, to facilitate local investment within the Agriculture Sector as outlined in the People’s Plan for Empowerment
In February last year (2022) my government launched the Agriculture Finance Support Programme (Agro-Grant Incentive). This Finance Support Program for farmers is the first program of this kind in the Turks and Caicos Islands and shows Government’s mandate is to invest heavily in local food production through providing financial support. My government has allocated US$250,000.00 in this first year to promote agriculture development. This Finance Program has 3 areas of support
- Improvement Programmes – to upgrade farms, Existing registered farmers who wish to perform farm upgrades can receive a maximum of $20,000
- New Farm Start Up/Young Entrepreneurs– For new or younger farmers between the ages of 18-25 years can receive a maximum of $15,000
- Disaster Relief – this is specifically in response to National Natural Disasters “Acts of Nature” inclusive of earthquake, hurricane and storms and other approved natural disasters. The value of this grant will be 10% of the assessed damages (up to a maximum of $20,000 USD
To date 12 farmers have received grants in the first 2 categories. Today we are here to give disaster relief to those registered farmers who would have suffered from losses due to the passage of hurricane Fiona in September last year.
Government knows that Farming is an expensive business, farmers livelihood depends on the investment they make on their farms. We live in a small island state that is vulnerable to natural disasters such as hurricane. These disasters can have devastating effects on farms, destroying years of productive work and effort farmers would have put in.
Government in recognizing the important contribution farmers make to Food security and the vulnerabilities they face has moved into action to provide much needed support towards the rebuilding of the farms. Today 15 registered will be receiving funds for disaster relief to assist with their rebuilding efforts. This monies I know will be used for the purposes granted.
I want to thank my Cabinet colleagues and Premier for supporting the continued efforts to grow the Agriculture Sector.
My department of Agriculture recognizes farming is dynamic and as such has lobbied Cabinet for continued support. I am pleased to say that in August last year through a Cabinet Paper, government had approved amending the Agriculture Policy to provide full exemption of import duties for farm vehicles registered farmers can now apply through the department for this support. At that meeting we also agreed for the Department of Agriculture to develop a comprehensive Agro-Incentive Program to support farming in the TCI.
Once again I would like to commend the farmers who are benefiting today for their hard work and dedication and look forward to serving you as your minister
U.S. Supports the RBPF With Additional Crime Fighting Vehicles on The Bahamas’ “Road to 50”
#TheBahamas, January 31, 2023 – Since 1973, the United States and The Bahamas have enjoyed a long-lasting security partnership. To mark this valued friendship, the United States Government, on January 31, 2023, renewed its support for the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) with 20 new Ford Police Inceptor Hybrid SUVs valuing nearly $1.4 million. The United States’ Chargé d’Affaires Usha Pitts; Prime Minister, the Hon. Philip Davis; Minister of National Security, the Hon. Wayne Munroe and RBPF Commissioner Clayton Fernander were on hand for the donation at RBPF East Hill Street Headquarters.
The 20 hybrid vehicles will be added to the 32 vehicles previously donated to the RBPF by the US government to help replace crucial infrastructure lost during Hurricane Dorian. Recovering from a hurricane is an arduous process that requires support at many levels, from roads and housing to mental health services. The U.S. government hopes these vehicles will contribute to one key step in the process: citizen security. These vehicles will not only assist the RBPF’s efforts to combat crime but will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions on the islands.
In her remarks Chargé Pitts noted, “these vehicles are just one example of the United States’ continued efforts to help for The Bahamas’ keep its citizens and visitors safe.”
Prime Minister Philip Davis showed his appreciation for this timely vehicle donation as it will assist with added capacity and increased saturation patrols on the streets. The Prime Minister added that residents will notice an increased police presence and the police will have new capacity to respond quickly to any criminal activity.
RBPF Commissioner Clayton Fernander highlighted that “we have noticeably taken more illegal firearms and ammunition off our streets in 2022. We have also seized more illegal drugs including marijuana and marijuana plants than in [previous] years. Suffice to say, we have efficiently utilized all 32 vehicles previously donated by the U.S. government in our crime fighting efforts.”
In recent years, the U.S. Government, through U.S. Embassy Nassau, has delivered more than $25 million to assist The Bahamas with efforts to fight crime. On behalf of the Bahamian people, Minister of National Security Wayne Munroe extended his gratitude for the U.S. government’s assistance noting “It seems that when we’re together there [is] always an occasion where they [U.S. government] have helped us and assisted us substantially.”
Captions: Credited to U.S. Embassy Nassau
Minister of Health & Wellness thanks Cuban nurses for their service during the COVID-19 Pandemic
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Health1 week ago
PAHO platform brings health monitoring of chronic diseases to remote populations
Caribbean News1 week ago
Trinidad and Tobago gets a new president, the second woman to be elected to the position
Caribbean News7 days ago
Building community, economic, and environmental resilience through the Turks and Caicos Islands’ Covid-19 recovery
Caribbean News1 week ago
Long Stay Tourist Arrivals Up over 40% says TCIAA
Bahamas News1 week ago
The first IHOP in the Caribbean to open its doors in February; destination Bahamas
Bahamas News1 week ago
BBSQ and EU officials discuss national quality infrastructure advancements under Standby Facility project
Education1 week ago
Transformative math opportunity for TCI; Singapore style is coming
Caribbean News7 days ago
Usain Bolt and 30 others to get FBI Help in massive fraud case at SSL Jamaica