Connect with us

Bahamas News

Leading Marine Sciences NGO Beneath the Waves; “Reef Sharks”

Published

on

#TheBahamas, April 19, 2022 – Even reef sharks think it’s better in The Bahamas.

That’s the key finding of data compiled by a group of local and international marine scientists after tagging and following 950 reef sharks over a period of 12 years, across six primary study locations in The Bahamas, from Grand Bahama to Eleuthera and The Exumas. While sharks remaining close to home may sound like a good thing for avoiding commercial fisheries exploitation off North America, the long-term dataset revealed new insights into the limited migration and stunted growth of the species.

“Analyzing data from over 950 individual sharks, our results indicate that the Caribbean reef shark may have slower growth rates than previously estimated, underscoring the regional sensitivity of this species,” says Dr. Oliver Shipley, a world-leader in using chemical tracers and movement to understand the role large predators play in connecting marine ecosystems. Shipley has been conducting research in The Bahamas for nearly a decade, initially obtaining his training at the Cape Eleuthera Institute.

“The research showed no evidence of seasonal migration throughout the islands,” said Shipley, who recently signed on as a Senior Research Scientist with the leading marine NGO, Beneath the Waves.

“It is important, however, to reinforce that this species’ populations are actually stable and relatively healthy in The Bahamas, who proactively protected these sharks over a decade ago,” he added. “Because of the stable native population here, we are able to make predictions for other areas where the species is also found.”

Indeed, the findings may be a bellwether for other locations where this keystone species – critical for maintaining healthy populations of small reef fishes – is not protected. The results of this study also highlight the value of long-term research activities.

“Preserving The Bahamas’ status as a shark sanctuary is critical as Caribbean reef shark populations elsewhere in the Americas continue to decline with active exploitation especially South America,” Shipley noted. The findings support large no-take zones in the effort to preserve the vulnerable species given continued exploitation for meat and incidental bycatch.

Publication of the study in March coincided with Beneath the Waves’ announcement of Shipley’s joining the organization full-time.

“Dr. Shipley is highly respected, and knows so much about this ecosystem,” said Beneath the Waves CEO and chief scientist Dr. Austin Gallagher. “Together, we have explored many areas of the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and we have done a lot of great science in The Bahamas.  To have him join us full-time now as we work to use science to mitigate the effects of climate change and restore native populations of species, will be a great benefit to our ongoing programs and ambitious goals for impact in The Commonwealth and beyond, particularly as we see a growing importance placed on marine science globally.”

Shipley is known for his keen interest in the movement, foraging and nutritional ecology of marine predators. “His approach to conservation is also diverse,” said Dr. Gallagher, who also praised his focus on getting youth and students involved in the research.

“The work of Beneath the Waves is contributing to a deeper understanding of marine biology so that we can collaboratively – and authentically – work with national decision makers to advance strategies needed to keep our coasts resilient to change and restore our oceans to abundance”” said Shipley “This is all possible in the years ahead, and it is very exciting for me to be part of this team that one week is in Exuma in The Bahamas affording school children the opportunity to observe and participate in shark tagging, and the next is in the Red Sea exploring fundamental aspects of the deep ocean. I always like to answer people who say ‘Why do you do this? Why do you risk going down so deep or tagging a live shark?’ To me, that the answer is simple: the planet is 70% water, this is an ocean planet, and the secrets it holds are powerful and inspiring.”

Press Release: Beneath the Waves

Photo Caption: Dr. Oliver Shipley, co-author of recently published paper revealing the importance of The Bahamas archipelago to the long-term population health of the Caribbean reef shark, a regional keystone species, joins leading marine science NGO Beneath the Waves, whose long-term work has called international attention to the marine resources of The Bahamas.

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS RATING UPGRADE: A WIN—BUT NOT A FREE PASS

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – With elections days away, The Bahamas has picked up a headline-friendly win: a credit rating upgrade.

Here’s the one-liner that matters most:

A higher rating can mean cheaper borrowing for the government—over time.

That’s the upside. When lenders see less risk, they demand lower interest. That can ease the cost of financing big projects and managing national debt.

But that’s only part of the story.

Moody’s Ratings has upgraded The Bahamas to Ba3 from B1, citing stronger fiscal discipline, improved liquidity and a more stable funding strategy. It also points to better tax collection, controlled spending and continued strength in tourism as key drivers.

Moody’s expects the government to maintain solid primary surpluses—essentially bringing in more than it spends before debt payments—and projects national debt to decline from 72.5% of GDP to around 68% by 2027.

That’s progress.

But here’s the reality check.

The Bahamas is still below investment grade. In plain terms, the country remains in speculative territory, meaning investors still see a higher level of risk compared to more stable economies.

Debt, while improving, is still elevated. And the economy remains heavily dependent on tourism—a sector that can shift quickly with global conditions, weather events or geopolitical shocks.

Even Moody’s signals that more work is needed. Further upgrades depend on:

  • sustained reductions in debt
  • improved debt affordability
  • and continued access to favourable financing

So while the upgrade reflects real gains, it is not a finish line.

It is a signal that the country is moving in the right direction—but must stay disciplined to keep that momentum.

For voters heading to the polls, the takeaway is simple:

The Bahamas has strengthened its financial position—but the fundamentals still need work.

The progress is real.

The challenge now is to make it last.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING