Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Successful achievements of students in 2020 National Exams celebrated

Published

on

#TheBahamas, June 5, 2021 – As students sit the 2021 national examinations, Evelyn Sawyer, Assistant Director, Education, Examination and Assessment Division, reflects on the 2020 examinations and recognizes the successful achievements of public and private school students, their teachers and parents.

“When we consider the resilience of the children, those who actually turned up to write the exam, they can only be better for it. They put whatever behind and moved on. That group of students is going to make it,” said Mrs. Sawyer.

“The parents who insisted that their children write the exams, it’s a testimony to them too. There were some teachers who went over and beyond; they enforced the coursework — some really had a vested interest in the children.”

In 2020, to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the country, the Ministry of Education (MOE) temporarily suspended national examinations leaving a period of uncertainty over whether national examinations would resume. With marking centres shutting down because of exposure to COVID-19, fears associated with the infectious disease, anxiety and discouragement, Mrs. Sawyer described this period as “very challenging.” She opined that the decision to administer the exam was the best decision that could have been made.

“This was hard fought. There was back and forth. We had to try to proceed with the administration of the exams. If we failed in our trying at least we were satisfied that we tried. The mere fact that we were able to administer the exam and get through despite COVID-19 itself was a major accomplishment.

“We believed the children deserved to have an opportunity.  At the end of the day we wanted to know that we did what we could for the children.”

Mrs. Sawyer recounted that the students experienced their own stress. “Imagine that you spend 12 years in school and you don’t know what’s going to happen. Depending on where they were, the children bought into what was fed to them. For example, the student from Queen’s College [Kamori Sawyer] who got 13 As, she had to have somebody behind her, pushing and saying you could do this.

“Some parents were afraid of [exposure] to the pandemic. Some said their child was in the University of The Bahamas (UB). UB allowed students time off to write the exam but some of them said because their child had already been accepted in UB they did not need to bother. I encouraged parents to write the exam. The child may not have needed it then but may need it later,” she said.

Mrs. Saywer informed that in comparison to 2019, the turnout for the percentage of persons who took the BJC exam, was 85 per cent better in 2020. With regard to the BGCSE, she said only half of the children who were registered showed up for the exams.

“It’s unfortunate that a lot of them chose not to write it but we applaud those who did and some did extremely well like the child who got 15 BGCSE subjects with grades from A to C.

“For 2020, this year and maybe another year or so we have a group of individuals who through no fault of their own, were shortchanged.

“I think a lot of children have regrets or their parents have regrets that their children did not do the exams last year. The BGCSE is a level playing field. I don’t mind what degree you get, when you go for a job, they ask for BGCSE results. I think a lot of children did not realize that they will still ask for them,” she said.

Family Islands

Mrs. Saywer noted that NGM Major in Long Island, is among the schools that have consistently done well in national exams and 2020 was no different.

“It has a small school environment and population and is on an island where education is still very important. A lot of persons from Long Island have done extremely well in education and otherwise over the years,” she said.

Abaco

Mrs. Sawyer said with Abaco on the rebound after Hurricane Dorian, only students representing Patrick J. Bethel High School, SC Boodle High School and Moore’s Island All Age School sat national exams in 2020.

“A lot of them [students] were displaced. A lot of them who were registered, for example students from St. Francis De Sales Catholic School, were transferred to Aquinas College [in Nassau]. They registered under Aquinas College but went back to Abaco to take their exams.

“We had to make arrangements to accommodate them. Dominique Russell, the District Superintendent there, did a phenomenal job to make sure the students were accommodated.

“Students from other schools who were stuck in other Family Islands had to be accommodated. They returned to whatever island they were from or have relatives in. We had to ensure that all of the special circumstances were accommodated,” added Mrs. Sawyer.

For 2021, only Smith’s Memorial Academy, Long Bay School and Agape Christian School have come back on stream with national exams.

“It’s very encouraging that they have returned.”

Mrs. Sawyer underscored that the success of the 2020 National Examinations could not have been achieved without the extraordinary strength of character of the students who opted to take the examinations.

She assured that the MOE celebrates the achievements ofthe students who did their best under extremely daunting circumstances.

“We celebrate your spirit and the spirit of the people who were behind you, school administrators, teachers, parents, other relatives and community leaders; yes, behind you and beside you and in front of you, encouraging you,” said Mrs. Sawyer.  (BIS Photos/Patrick Hanna)

BGCSE Best by Island

Criteria: The student receiving the best results on the island: At least 4 subjects at ‘D’ and above.

ANDROS

Jonae Rahming, South Andros High – 2Bs, 4Cs, 1D

BIMINI

Maya Saunders, Louise McDonald High – 1B 3Cs, 1D

BERRY ISLAND

Cherolle Pierre, R.N. Gomez All Age – 1A, 2Bs, 2Cs

CAT ISLAND

Zoe O. J. Turner, Arthur’s Town High – 3As, 1B, 1C

ACKLINS

Keyshawn Cox, Acklins High – 1B, 1C, 2Ds

ELEUTHERA

Perrell Cooper, Windermere High – 6As, 1B, 1C

EXUMA

Carys Thompson, L.N. Coakley High – 1A, 5Bs, 4Cs

GRAND BAHAMA

Rashad Tobias Rolle, Bishop Michael Eldon – 7As, 1B

LONG ISLAND

Silas Turnquest, NGM Major High – 3As, 3Bs, 2Cs

SAN SALVADOR

Shania Knowles, San Salvador High – 1A, 2Cs, 2Ds

NEW PROVIDENCE

Kamori Cori Sawyer, Queen’s College – 13As

BJCs Best by Island

Criteria: The student receiving the best results on the island: At least 4 subjects at ‘D’ and above

ABACO

Remelda Jean, Patrick Bethel High – 3As, 4Bs

ANDROS

Sarah McKinney, South Andros High School – 5As, 2Bs, 2Cs

BIMINI

John Johnson, Gateway Christian Academy – 3Bs, 1C

THE BERRY ISLANDS

Javan Mott, R.N. Gomez All Age School  – 1B, 4Cs, 1D

CAT ISLAND

Nehaj Campbell, Old Bright High School – 1A, 3Bs, 4Cs

CROOKED ISLAND

Jason Thompson, Admiral Ferguson High – 1B, 2Cs, 3Ds

ACKLINS

Aalijah Bullard, Acklins High School – 3Bs, 3Cs, 1D

ELEUTHERA

Alexandria Culmer, Central Eleuthera High School – 8As, 2Bs

EXUMA

Wayne Curtis, L.N. Coakley High School – 3As, 3Bs

GRAND BAHAMA

Hazell Taylor, Tabernacle Baptist Academy – 6As

LONG ISLAND

Hope Knowles, NGM Major High School – 5As, 5Bs

SAN SALVADOR

Anaya Young, San Salvador High School – 2As, 4Bs, 1C

INAGUA

Tajanique S. Cooper, Inagua All Age School – 2Bs, 2Cs, 1D

MAYAGUANA

Aneko Smith, Abraham’s Bay All Age School – 2Bs, 2Cs, 1E

NEW PROVIDENCE

Cherkadin Wells, Queen’s College -12As

By Kathryn Campbell

Release: BIS

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING