Connect with us

Bahamas News

Next U.S. Ambassador?  Walker Pledges Business-Driven Approach as U.S. Looks to Counter China in The Bahamas

Published

on

Deandrea Hamilton | Editor

 

The Bahamas, September 16, 2025 – For the first time since 2011, the United States is on the cusp of sending an ambassador to The Bahamas — and the nominee, former football star turned entrepreneur Herschel Walker, is promising to bring his business instincts to the diplomatic table.

Speaking before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week, Walker underscored that his background in food-service companies and small business leadership has prepared him to think practically about investment. “I know how to run a business, how to create jobs, how to make payroll. Those lessons translate into building relationships and building trust,” Walker said.

Walker, who was nominated by President Trump in December 2024, faced the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on September 11. As of now, he has not yet been confirmed; his nomination remains under review, pending a committee vote before it can move to the full Senate. If approved, he would become the first U.S. ambassador to The Bahamas since 2011.

For years, U.S. officials have stressed security and counternarcotics cooperation with The Bahamas, including through “Operation Bahamas, Turks and Caicos.” But in areas like infrastructure, medical care, and long-term investment, Washington has often been absent.

Hospitals and clinics remain under-resourced, and hurricane recovery has been slow in many islands. Chinese state-backed firms, by contrast, have shown up with financing packages and construction deals — a presence that has raised alarms on Capitol Hill.

“Only 50 miles off our shore, The Bahamas is too important for us to ignore,” warned Senate Foreign Relations Committee leaders during Walker’s hearing. They called China’s inroads “strategic, not charitable,” suggesting Beijing’s long game is about ports, proximity, and political leverage.

Walker positioned himself as a nontraditional but pragmatic envoy. He argued that his business career, rooted in private sector success, equips him to champion American investment in The Bahamas.

He pledged to:

  • Promote U.S. companies interested in medical and infrastructure projects.
  • Support an environment that encourages American investors to see The Bahamas as more than just a beach destination.
  • Highlight opportunities for partnerships that improve public services, healthcare, and resilience against hurricanes.

“I’ve built businesses. I know what it takes to attract investors and create opportunity. That is exactly what I intend to bring to our relationship with The Bahamas,” Walker said.

The Bahamas is not just a tourist paradise. It’s a frontline state in migration, drug interdiction, and hurricane response. More than six million U.S. visitors travel there annually, making stability and safety a U.S. domestic concern as much as a foreign policy one.

And yet, with the ambassador post vacant for 14 years, the U.S. has often looked detached — opening space for China’s ambitious Belt and Road agenda. The fear is that infrastructure deals signed today could give Beijing leverage in the region tomorrow.                                                                                                                                                                                                                Walker’s confirmation would symbolize a course correction, signaling Washington’s intent to re-engage not only in security but in the economic future of The Bahamas.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Not everyone is convinced Herschel Walker is the right man for the job. His nomination revived controversies from his 2022 Senate run, including past allegations, public gaffes, and doubts about whether he has the diplomatic polish the post demands. Some senators and analysts questioned whether celebrity and business experience were enough for a role requiring nuance in foreign policy and geopolitics.

Critics argued that The Bahamas, sitting just 50 miles from Florida and facing intense Chinese interest, deserves a seasoned diplomat rather than a political ally.

Walker confronted those doubts head-on. “People have underestimated me all my life — in academics, athletics, and business,” he told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. “And I have always proven them wrong, through discipline, determination, and by outworking everyone.”

He admitted he had never served as an ambassador but countered that his career prepared him in other ways: building businesses, managing payrolls, and connecting with people from all walks of life. He framed his business background as a strength, promising to use it to encourage U.S. investment in healthcare, infrastructure, and hurricane resilience projects in The Bahamas.

Rather than sparring with critics, Walker leaned on confidence and persistence: “I know how to build trust and find common ground. That’s what this relationship needs.”

If confirmed, Walker would have to balance his role as diplomat with expectations of being a commercial cheerleader for U.S. firms. His emphasis on entrepreneurship suggests a willingness to push U.S. businesses toward opportunities in healthcare, ports, and post-storm reconstruction — areas where Bahamians say they need the most support.

For Bahamian officials, the question will be whether Washington is prepared to back words with financing. U.S. private sector dollars, paired with aid and development partnerships, could help shift the tide against Chinese influence.

For Walker, the test will be whether his business acumen can translate into diplomatic wins — giving Bahamians alternatives to Beijing, while deepening the U.S. role in the Caribbean.

Analysis: If Walker delivers, this appointment could mark a turning point: a U.S. strategy that recognizes that in the Caribbean, investment is diplomacy.

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS RATING UPGRADE: A WIN—BUT NOT A FREE PASS

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – With elections days away, The Bahamas has picked up a headline-friendly win: a credit rating upgrade.

Here’s the one-liner that matters most:

A higher rating can mean cheaper borrowing for the government—over time.

That’s the upside. When lenders see less risk, they demand lower interest. That can ease the cost of financing big projects and managing national debt.

But that’s only part of the story.

Moody’s Ratings has upgraded The Bahamas to Ba3 from B1, citing stronger fiscal discipline, improved liquidity and a more stable funding strategy. It also points to better tax collection, controlled spending and continued strength in tourism as key drivers.

Moody’s expects the government to maintain solid primary surpluses—essentially bringing in more than it spends before debt payments—and projects national debt to decline from 72.5% of GDP to around 68% by 2027.

That’s progress.

But here’s the reality check.

The Bahamas is still below investment grade. In plain terms, the country remains in speculative territory, meaning investors still see a higher level of risk compared to more stable economies.

Debt, while improving, is still elevated. And the economy remains heavily dependent on tourism—a sector that can shift quickly with global conditions, weather events or geopolitical shocks.

Even Moody’s signals that more work is needed. Further upgrades depend on:

  • sustained reductions in debt
  • improved debt affordability
  • and continued access to favourable financing

So while the upgrade reflects real gains, it is not a finish line.

It is a signal that the country is moving in the right direction—but must stay disciplined to keep that momentum.

For voters heading to the polls, the takeaway is simple:

The Bahamas has strengthened its financial position—but the fundamentals still need work.

The progress is real.

The challenge now is to make it last.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING