Connect with us

Caribbean News

Judge Paul Harrison dead at 84; Special court sitting to be held in his honour in TCI

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, February 8, 2021 – An esteemed member of the Caribbean judiciary died on Sunday, leaving those who cherished him as family, friend, colleague and accomplished judge with memories of the good times and his celebrated service, deeply saddened at the loss.

“Very sad news.  Former President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Paul Harrison, in my humble opinion one of the finest judges every to sit on the Jamaican Bench, has died.  This is an irreparable loss to the regional Judiciary,” said Gordon Robinson, in a Tweet on Sunday around 5:46pm.

Less than two hours later, Her Ladyship Justice Mabel Agyemang, Chief Justice of the Turks and Caicos Islands issued a statement.

“It is with heavy hearts that the Chief Justice and members of the Judiciary of the Turks and Caicos Islands announce the death of the Hon. Mr. Justice Paul Harrison…”

Judge Harrison, who died in his native Jamaica, had recently taken ill, explained the Chief Justice in the media release. 

“On 10 July 2012, Justice Harrison was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court and was assigned to preside over the R v Michael Misick & Ors because of his hard work and proven integrity. He gave of his best to the judiciary of the Turks and Caicos Islands in the 8 years that he presided over that trial.  He will be remembered with affection and respect.”

Harrison led the precedent setting trial, as the first judge to preside over a juryless trial in the UK overseas territory.  The case before him was also singular in nature as it charged a former premier, his deputy and several cabinet ministers with malfeasance and abuse of power while in office from 2003 to 2007.

Just last month, Harrison agreed to a plea deal which granted a suspended sentence to one of the accused – Lillian Boyce upon the condition she repaid a one million dollar penalty to the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The month prior, the high court judge disagreed with a legal argument asking him to return to the Turks and Caicos for continuation of the protracted trial.  The Justice explained the high risk for Covid-19 rating in the Turks and Caicos and advice for his vulnerable age-group to avoid risks were the reasons for his firm decision to carry on the trial, virtually.

Harrison was originally expected to complete the trial in 2014; that was seven years ago. 

In announcing the selection of the retired judge to hear the case back in 2012, the nation learned Harrison, a native of Jamaica, had previously served as president of Jamaica’s Court of Appeal, a judge of its Supreme Court and a Crown Counsel in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in Jamaica, among other positions.

He was admitted to the bar in London in 1969 as a member of Lincoln’s Inn.

At the time of his startling death, Judge Harrison was 84 years old and already there is steady stream of condolences to his family over social media.

“I am totally heartbroken over this. What a gentleman. What a scholar.  What a loss.  May his soul rest in peace and my condolences to his family,” was a Tweet from Annaliesa E Lindsay.

 “Heartfelt sadness and may God’s richest blessings comfort his family,” said Byron Ward, on Twitter.

“My sincere condolences to Dirk and the rest of his family.  May his soul Rest In Peace,” expressed VM3 on the same Twitter feed.

Chief Justice Agyemang informed that a special sitting in his memory would be announced, adding “May his gentle soul rest in peace.”

Caribbean News

Pres Ali declares three days of national mourning following MV Barima tragedy July 21, 2026

Published

on

His Excellency Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali has declared three days of national mourning following the tragic loss of lives in the M.V. Barima incident, as the nation continues to grieve alongside the families and communities affected.

The period of national mourning will be observed from Wednesday, July 22, through Friday, July 24, 2026, in honour of the victims of the tragedy. During this time, the National Flag will be flown at half-mast on all Government buildings and other appropriate locations across the country.

As part of the observances, Wednesday, July 22, has been designated a National Day of Prayer. A National Day of Prayer and Remembrance will be held at the Kingston Seawall in Georgetown, bringing together citizens in solidarity to honour the lives lost and offer support to grieving families.

The programme of remembrance will continue with a Night of Reflection and Prayer in Port Kaituma on Thursday, July 23, followed by another observance in Mabaruma on Friday, July 24.

The government is also encouraging religious organisations, civic groups and citizens throughout Guyana to organise candlelight vigils and moments of prayer during the three days as the nation collectively reflects on the tragedy and pays tribute to the victims. The declaration of national mourning underscores the government’s commitment to standing with the bereaved families and affected communities as Guyana mourns one of the country’s most heartbreaking maritime tragedies.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CARICOM Targets Affordability as Bahamas, TCI Continue to Feel the Pinch  

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

 

Cheaper shipping. Lower energy costs. Better access to healthcare. Stronger consumer protections.

Those are among the measures CARICOM Heads of Government believe could finally begin reducing the stubbornly high cost of living for millions of people across the Caribbean.

Meeting in Saint Lucia, regional leaders agreed that making life more affordable must become one of the Community’s highest priorities. Their emerging strategy includes reducing freight costs through a regional ferry service, accelerating renewable energy projects to lessen dependence on imported fuel, expanding regional healthcare partnerships, strengthening consumer protection, and encouraging governments to adopt successful cost-of-living measures already being implemented across the Caribbean.

“Our discussions over the past four days were guided by one central objective – ensuring that CARICOM delivers results that people can see and feel in their everyday lives,” CARICOM Chairman and Saint Lucia Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre said.

Few places may welcome that relief more than The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Although inflation has moderated in both countries from the sharp increases experienced following the pandemic, the cost of living remains stubbornly high. Families continue to complain about grocery bills that stretch household budgets, rising housing costs, expensive electricity, healthcare expenses and fuel prices that remain among the highest in the region.

Governments have responded.

In The Bahamas, successive reductions in Value Added Tax on selected goods and other targeted tax measures have sought to ease pressure on consumers. In the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Government this weekend opens applications for its $500 Cost of Living Relief Programme, acknowledging that many households continue to struggle despite the country’s economic success.

Yet affordability remains elusive.

The contradiction is difficult to ignore.

The Turks and Caicos Islands continues to post one of the region’s strongest tourism-driven economies, with robust investment, record visitor spending and sustained construction activity. The Bahamas has also strengthened its economic position, earning improved sovereign credit ratings as tourism, government revenues and fiscal performance continue to recover.

Yet those encouraging economic indicators have not translated into noticeably lower household expenses.

The reason is largely structural.

Both The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands produce relatively little of what they consume. Food, fuel, medicines, vehicles, building materials and countless household essentials are imported. Both countries also record significant trade deficits, illustrating their dependence on overseas suppliers. Every increase in global shipping costs, fuel prices or supply chain disruptions is eventually reflected in supermarket prices, utility bills and the cost of everyday living.

That is why CARICOM’s agenda matters.

If regional leaders succeed in lowering freight costs through an inter-island ferry network, expanding renewable energy, improving regional cargo movement, strengthening consumer protections and making healthcare more accessible through cooperation, the benefits could extend far beyond government balance sheets.

For Bahamians and Turks and Caicos Islanders, success will not be measured by another tourism record or another credit rating upgrade. It will be measured at the supermarket checkout, on the monthly electricity bill, at the gas pump and in the simple ability to afford a better quality of life.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

From Pathways to Investment: Tackling the US $6 Billion Food Challenge for the Caribbean

Published

on

By Kenroy Roach

The Caribbean’s food systems challenge is fast evolving into a broader development challenge.

Despite decades of policy attention and investment, the region remains one of the most food import-dependent in the world, spending over US$6 billion annually. At the same time, countries continue to grapple with food insecurity, high rates of diet-related non-communicable diseases, climate vulnerability, and exposure to external shocks that can disrupt supply chains and drive up food prices almost overnight.

For Small Island Developing States (SIDS), food security has shifted from an agriculture focus alone, it’s about economic resilience, health, climate resilience and sustainable growth.

Recognizing this reality, Caribbean governments have elevated food systems transformation as a regional priority through the CARICOM 25 x 25 Plus Five Agenda, which seeks to reduce food import dependence while strengthening domestic production, regional trade, and resilience. Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, governments have also developed National Food Systems Pathways that identify the investments, partnerships, and policy reforms needed to transform food systems and accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Yet one challenge has remained persistent: financing.

In the face of high levels of public debt and limited fiscal space, while public investment remains critical, Caribbean governments simply cannot shoulder the financing burden alone. Transforming food systems at scale requires mobilizing far greater private capital, alongside development finance and public resources.

This was the rationale behind the recent convened in Barbados.

The Forum brought together governments, investors, international financial institutions, private sector leaders, regional organizations, and the United Nations around a simple proposition: food systems should be viewed not only as a development priority, but also as an investable asset class.

A distinguishing feature of the innovative gathering was its focus on attracting private investment—particularly private equity, impact investment, and blended finance solutions capable of supporting businesses and infrastructure across food value chains. By helping enterprises access growth capital and connecting investors with scalable opportunities, the initiative sought to unlock financing that complements public investment rather than adding to already constrained public balance sheets.

A key outcome was the launch of a regional Deal Book comprising approximately US$320 million in investment opportunities across seven countries, spanning agriculture, fisheries, agro-processing, logistics, and strategic food systems infrastructure. The Deal Book created a practical bridge between capital seeking opportunities and opportunities seeking capital, while enabling direct engagement between governments, enterprises, and investors.

The results were encouraging.

Across four sector-focused deal rooms, participants explored investment-ready and near-investment-ready opportunities and discussed blended finance private equity, risk-sharing, and partnerships to advance projects toward implementation.

The Forum highlighted a shift in perspective: food systems are now seen as strategic drivers of economic diversification, resilience, competitiveness, and growth. Investments across production, processing, logistics, and distribution can strengthen regional supply chains, create new businesses, generate jobs, and reduce vulnerability to external shocks.

For the United Nations, this experience reinforced an important lesson.

Transforming food systems requires more than the technical expertise of individual agencies. It requires integrated solutions that connect agriculture, nutrition, health, climate resilience, trade, private sector development, and financing.

This is where the Resident Coordinator System plays a critical role.

Across Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, the Resident Coordinator Office has united UN system capabilities around a common food systems agenda. Working with FAO, WFP, the UN Food Systems Coordination Hub, and other partners, the RCO has helped align policy support, technical expertise, partnerships, and financing with nationally identified priorities.

The Forum demonstrated this integrated approach by convening governments, investors, development finance institutions, private sector actors, and UN agencies around a common objective. It showcased the UN’s comparative advantage as a trusted broker capable of connecting development priorities with investment opportunities.

The Forum’s success will be measured not by dialogue generated, but by investments mobilized, businesses expanded, and progress made toward resilient, competitive Caribbean food systems across the Caribbean.

Its most important outcome may therefore be what comes next.

The work starts now.

Kenroy Roach is Head of the UN Resident Coordinator Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING