Connect with us

Bahamas News

Energy Minister announces major steps in local use of cleaner, renewable energy

Published

on

From: Bahamas Information Services
April 10, 2025

 

NASSAU, The Bahamas — Minister of Energy and Transport, the Hon. JoBeth Coleby-Davis on Wednesday addressed the signing ceremony of a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Eco Energy Bahamas Limited, which emanated from Request for Proposals (RFP) for New Providence Micro-Grids and New Energy Generation via Renewables, with Energy Storage Systems.  The RFP was  launched last year by the Government of The Bahamas and BPL.  The signing ceremony took place at the Office of the Prime MInister.

The goal of the RFP was to create more independence in energy generation on New Providence, utilizing clean fuel and renewables, with Wednesday’s signing representing a significant step forward.

In addition the minister announced the signing of three Power Purchase Agreements with EA Energy and The Exumas Renewable Energy Corporation for Abaco, Eleuthera, and Exuma as a result of Request for Proposals (RFP) for Family Island New Energy Generation via Micro- Grids, Clean Fuel & Renewables that was launched in 2023 by the Government of The Bahamas and BPL.  These agreements were also signed on Wednesday, at the Office of the Prime Minister.

The goal of the RFP was to identify Independent Power Producer (IPP) projects to offer electricity generation with clean fuel, renewables and battery energy storage systems in the Family Islands, she said.

The minister said these projects will regulate resource management, install energy storage capacity, facilitate new generation capabilities, and enhance sustainability efforts. Further, the development of microgrids on these various islands will ensure consistent and reliable power output for its inhabitants, 24 hours a day.

Minister Coleby-Davis said: “The requirement for battery energy storage systems to be incorporated in each project is crucial for us to ensure
seamless backup power in the event of a loss of the primary generation system. To ensure the success of these projects, microgrid controllers will be employed across all microgrids around the Family Islands. This will improve efficiency, maximize savings, and increase reliability by alerting BPL of any outages or changes to the system.”

To ensure the successful day-to-day operation of the microgrid, “BPL staff on the respective islands will be trained to manage and operate these new systems.  BPL will sign two PPAs with EA Energy – one for Abaco
and the other for Eleuthera.

“In Abaco, the goal is 30MW of LNG generation with 13.3 MW solar and a 15MW hours battery energy storage system. In Eleuthera, the focus is 19.97MW LNG generation with 8.7 MW solar and a 10 MW hours battery energy storage system.  The PPA with The Exumas Renewable Energy
Corporation will include 8.5MW LNG generation, 3MW solar, and a 6 MW hours of battery energy storage system.

“As I have said before, all PPAs include clearly defined key performance indicators and penalties for non-performance. Further, clear provisions have also been included to lock down rates, which will ultimately protect Bahamian households and businesses.  In signing these PPAs, we are taking a pivotal step forward in the transition to cleaner and more efficient fuels in our Family Islands.”

 

PHOTO CAPTION

Eco Energy Bahamas signing at the Office of the Prime Minister, April 9, 2025: Seated from left, BPL Director Samuel Brown; BPL Deputy Chairman Dylan Sawyer; Arnold Forbes; Managing Director of Eco Energy Bahamas Limited Vince Pedican.  Standing, from left: Energy and Transport Minister JoBeth Coleby-Davis; Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Philip Davis; Works and Family Island Affairs Minister Clay Sweeting; and BPL COO Anthony Christie.

(BIS Photos/Anthon Thompson)

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING