Connect with us

Caribbean News

Opposition Leader:  Dismantle of Tourist Board by Uncaring PNP Government

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, February 6, 2023 – Voters of all stripes in the Turks and Caicos Islands are now in fear of recession, inflation, crime, and rising costs, and they see a PNP government not doing anywhere near enough to help, and is doing everything to worsen the condition of most of our people. I call out the fact that what those folks say they are not going to do, they almost always do.

We are now seeing the discharge of the current Tourist Board; the staff is being laid off. Staff which they, the current PNP Government, said last year, during the 2022 Government Budget Debates and on other forums, was not going to happen.

The Hon. Premier and his Team claim that this is a “restructure”, of the Tourist Board, but we all know “demolition” when we see it.

It is now very alarming that an elected government, that won all but one electoral seat, could be so uncaring, and unsympathetic to their own people who put them in office, and that they can be so disrespectful and insensitive to such a cornerstone organization as the Tourist Board, which has been in existence since the early ’70s.

This current PNP Government, led by Premier Misick and his Cabinet Ministers, has demonstrated an apathetic and uncaring attitude towards our people, the workers of the Tourist Board as it relates to their current and future employment status. Additionally, they are saying that the staff was given the chance to apply to the DMO for employment, but we know how that always plays out; we have seen this play out many times before, where persons are asked to apply only to say that Turks & Caicos Islanders were interviewed, and with no intention of hiring them. As the government did with the Airport fireman, all the existing staff should simply be reassigned to the DMO.

I must remind the Hon. Premier and his team of elected officials that this is the same tourist Board that has been instrumental in seeing our Tourism numbers grow to the high levels that we are currently experiencing.

I must remind the Premier and His Ministers that this is the same tourist board that received the honor of being awarded Island Destination’s 2019 Ultimate Partner.

I must remind this PNP Administration that this is the same Tourist Board whose director won Caribbean Tourism Director of the Year, won by Pamela Ewing – During one of the most challenging years in Caribbean tourism history. And I remind them that it was said that “Director of Tourism, Pamela Ewing, expertly led the Turks and Caicos Islands to historic levels of performance – solidifying the destination as one of the Caribbean’s most desired countries, while keeping the safety of both visitors and locals at the forefront.”

I must remind this PNP Administration that this is the same Tourist Board and its staff that was instrumental in positioning the Turks & Caicos Islands to receive an impressive eight nominations and a winner of two awards – Caribbean’s Leading Beach Destination and Caribbean’s Most Romantic Destination, at The World Travel Awards, Caribbean & The Americas Gala Ceremony in Montego Bay, Jamaica on August 31, last year.

I am in full agreement with those who see this dismantling and shutdown of the Tourist Board by the current PNP Government as a wrong move for our country, our tourism industry, our local people and our employees of the Board. In particular, I align myself with the comments and commentary of the former Minister of Tourism, Hon. R. Higgs, and former management staff member Mrs. Pauline Saunders.

In my response to the Premier’s and his government’s Budget on May 4, 2022, in addressing the funding being allocated for the setting up of a Destination Management Organization, I stated that “Instead of spending these millions of dollars on developing this new body, we should have been spending it on product enhancement in all our Islands. Don’t just follow the trend. You have to figure out if something really makes sense, or if it is just what everyone else is doing. Is this the right move Mr. Speaker? I think not.

Mr. Speaker, what about the current staff of the Tourist Board, will they be guaranteed a place in the new DMO, or will they will be sent home? I have seen this movie before in person; Mr. Speaker when the Government’s secondary health care services were closed down and contracted out to InterHealth Canada- they told us the same thing that we would not lose our jobs but said that we all had to apply for the same position that we currently occupy. We were not presented with a job description, terms of reference, pay scales, or anything. Needless to say, many of us found ourselves unemployed at that time. This must not happen to the staff of the Tourist Board Mr. speaker. We have to protect our people, and ensure that they are not left out.”

I went on to say that “Mr. Speaker, we are spending millions of dollars on developing this DMO, and Closing the Tourist Board which is a proven champion, and one of the top award-winning Tourist Boards in the region, and we have seen how successful tourism has been in our country. Why not recruit additional specialized staff for Tourist Board? Why not increase their marketing and product development budget? Why not send off staff for more specialized training in the area of Tourism? Why not create specialized units within the Tourist Board such as a Destination Management Unit?”

I still believe that, what I said in the above caption from last year’s House of Assembly Budget Debates can still be done- strengthening and enhancing the current staff and the capabilities of the existing Tourist Board.

Honorable Premier, Madam Minister of Tourism, Cabinet Ministers, it is not too late to readjust your course and head in the right direction. Listen to the people who elected you 14-1. It must be heartbreaking for these employees to bear witness to the occurrence that a government overwhelmingly elected by the people is intentionally destroying their livelihoods in this manner. And it is heartbreaking for the country to see our awards winning, superstar, Tourist Board, and Staff being treated in such an uncaring and dismissive manner.

You did not listen to my voice last year during the budget debate, however, for our people’s and our country’s sake, listen to our people’s cries now, and do the right thing.

A PDM Government would not be dismantling the Tourist Board, but rather we would offer advanced and specialized training opportunities to existing staff, enhance performance, greater boost capabilities, strengthen and expand partnerships, and diversify the functioning and structure of the existing Tourist Board and its staff complement, in order for the Board to be fully capable of leading our Tourism Sector into the future.

By; Hon. Edwin A. Astwood

Leader/PDM/Opposition

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF STEWART TOURISM EMPIRE PLAYS OUT IN COURTS

Published

on

May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute.  It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.

At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.

The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.

In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.

One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.

For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.

But the matter is far from settled.

Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.

The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.

Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.

Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.

For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge.  He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.

Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Sandals and Beaches Women Master the Art of Hospitality Leadership  

Published

on

Montego Bay, Jamaica, April 22, 2026 — At Sandals and Beaches Resorts, leadership excellence is par for the course. This is increasingly evident as the Sandals Corporate University (SCU) continues to provide team members with extraordinary opportunities for higher education, growth and professional development.

Facilitated through the SCU, the programmes offered executive team members the opportunity to pursue advanced studies with Les Roches, an internationally recognised Swiss hospitality university accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Renowned for its comprehensive hospitality curriculum, Les Roches was also recently ranked #2 in the world in Hospitality & Leisure Management by the QS World University Rankings 2026.

The graduating group included EMBA recipients: Heather Effs, regional manager, entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucian and Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional manager, entertainment in the Eastern Caribbean. Also graduating was Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper who completed the EMIHM programme.

While studying for their degrees, the EMBA students were able to enhance their experience through immersive classroom learning, travelling to the Les Roches campuses in Switzerland and Dubai to participate in the institution’s Residential Weeks. Both weeks, which took place at the start and toward the end of the course, provided the leaders with opportunities for in depth academic exposure, training and collaboration with fellow students from around the world.

Reflecting on their experiences and their decisions to pursue higher education through the SCU, each graduate expressed long standing aspirations to further their education and earn their master’s degrees and extended gratitude to the SCU for making those dreams a reality.

John, who graduated with distinction, shared that it was a proud and emotional moment when she crossed the stage to collect her certificate. She recalled that while the programme was demanding, the opportunity to deepen her knowledge of the hospitality industry on a global level made the journey a rewarding one.

“Education has always been intrinsic to who I am. I believe we must continuously learn so we can grow in this industry where we serve and lead others. This programme allowed me to sharpen my tools as a leader while gaining a broader global perspective on hospitality and tourism. Collaborating with professionals from different countries and cultures was an incredible experience and it challenged me to think differently about the future of our industry,” she remarked.

“My journey continues as I will keep sharing what I have learned to strengthen our teams and our brand every single day.”

For Giddings, the opportunity to network, study with her colleagues and lean into the vastness of hospitality was all the motivation she needed to embark on her Les Roches journey.

“I thought to myself, this was my chance to learn, expand and grow with two women I highly admire and respect.”

She noted that the coursework itself was not without its challenges, but she recognised the value in pushing forward to earn her degree which would inevitably allow her to take the next step in her career.

“It is an investment in yourself. I feel a profound sense of achievement and confidence and I feel prepared and excited about the opportunities that lie ahead,” she added.

Smith-Cooper shared that the EMIHM programme was the perfect opportunity to discover what she was capable of. However, between  designing dream destination weddings for couples and navigating parenthood and life in general, she admitted that the undertaking was no small feat.

“One of my biggest challenges was balancing school with my everyday responsibilities at work, at home and in my personal life but this experience showed me that my capacity could grow.”

Despite the demands, she credits determination, self-belief and the encouragement of a strong support system for helping her see the journey through.

“Today, I feel proud, relieved, accomplished and more confident. This programme has helped to build my skills and prepare me for new responsibilities and future opportunities.”

Effs, who also earned her EMBA with distinction, regarded the experience as a transformative step in her professional journey.

“Pursuing this programme was truly a leap of faith for me. The coursework challenged me intellectually and professionally, but each module stretched me in the best way. I was constantly learning, applying and evolving.”

The regional entertainment manager also encouraged other team members to take advantage of the opportunities available through SCU.

“To anyone considering taking the next step through SCU, my advice is simple: take the leap of faith. Trust yourself. Tap into your superpowers. Growth begins the moment you step outside of your comfort zone. The journey may challenge you, but it will also transform you,” Effs added.

Speaking on the partnership with Les Roches, Senior Corporate Director of the SCU, Dr. Luz Longsworth expressed her appreciation for the calibre of hospitality training offered by the institution.

“Les Roches’ commitment to working with the Caribbean really impressed us and we were excited to take a team to Marbella to visit their campus and explore the possibilities for collaboration. The quality of the programme strengthens the capacity of our leaders to navigate the complex and ever evolving world of hospitality and it is highly relevant to the needs of our region,” she shared.

The Sandals Corporate University remains committed to empowering team members through world class training and educational opportunities. By investing in leadership development and professional advancement, SCU continues to equip its people with the tools needed to grow while helping to shape the next generation of hospitality leaders across the Caribbean.

Captions:

Header: SCU Grads 1: Regional Manager, Entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Heather Effs can’t help but strike a playful pose after crossing the Les Roches stage to collect her degree; and SCU Grads 2: Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucia is snapped on stage with the Les Roches team at the graduation ceremony held in Switzerland.

1st insert: Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper takes a quick selfie moment post-graduation.

2nd Insert: Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional entertainment manager for the Eastern Caribbean is all joy after completing the postgraduate programme.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING