Connect with us

News

Three Days to Opening, Courtney and Arleigha named flag bearers for TeamTCI

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#TurksandCaicos, July 25, 2022 – A delegation from the Turks and Caicos Islands has officially landed in Birmingham England in preparation for the Commonwealth games.

The team includes Rebecca Bernardin, Yanique Haye-Smith; Angelo Garland; Courtney Missick; Ifeanyichukwu Otuonye; Ken Reyes; Wilkenson Fenelon; Arleigha Hall and Rohan Shearer.

Athletes will participate in several events across athletics swimming and cycling including the women’s 800m & 1500m; women’s 400m hurdles; men’s 400m; 4x100m relay & 4x400m relay; men’s long jump; women’s 50m backstroke; 50m butterfly & 50m freestyle and the men’s 50m freestyle; 100m backstroke; 100m freestyle & 50m backstroke

Godfrey Been, President of the Commonwealth Games Association had stern but encouraging words for the athletes at a press conference last week prior to their departure.

“Today is your day, you have been chosen to represent the Turks and Caicos.  This is an awesome task for you and it’s an awesome task for the country to get behind you, so as you’ve been doing over the last few years and months I want you to continue to put this country first. Be serious in everything you are doing, do your best, do it correctly.”

Alvin Parker, Deputy Director of Sports, encouraged them to do their best knowing that the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands are supporting them and behind them all the way.

“Although we are small, this is a big crowd cheering and rooting for you who loves you no matter the outcome. Whether we are winning or we are losing we are one.”

Rachel Taylor, Minister of Sport thanked the Association and coaches for their work in readying the athletes and called on everyone, private partners and the government included, to ‘put our money where our mouths are in terms of supporting the athletes.

Athletics Coach Randy Ford thanked the private sector for their investment in sport noting that when they gave money to sports they were investing in the human resources of the Turks and Caicos‘s islands. He used Ifeanyichukwu Otuonye as an example. Otuonye placed 9th in the long jump in the last Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast.

“When you are a nation of a little under 40,000 people and you can place 9th in the Commonwealth it’s a significant achievement.” he maintained

The Commonwealth Games will see more than 5,000 athletes from 72 nations compete at Alexander Stadium from July 28 to August 8. Patron of the Games, Queen Elizabeth will miss the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony to be held on July 28 and streamed live.

For the Turks and Caicos Islands, Courtney Missick and Arleigha Hall are named the flag bearers.

A contingent of about 30 Turks and Caicos‘s islanders will be at the Games, including Rachel Taylor, the Minister of Sports.

News

Salt Cay Water Shortage Unresolved as Residents Question Promised Relief

Published

on

SALT CAY — Residents say Salt Cay’s prolonged water shortage remains unresolved, with no visible activity or relief from the measures Government said would be advanced last week.

The crisis began in June after a critical filter failed at the island’s reverse osmosis plant, severely disrupting local water production. Residents told Magnetic Media Tuesday morning that neither the replacement filter nor the promised bulk shipment of emergency water appeared to have arrived.

Minister of Innovation, Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders, however, said the filter is already on Salt Cay.

“The RO filter is on Salt Cay and it’s being installed,” Saunders told Magnetic Media.

The large emergency water shipment has not materialised. Saunders said transporting more than 1,000 gallons in a single container requires a barge, and officials are still attempting to source one.

Government had previously indicated that it would try to deliver up to 2,500 gallons to partially replenish Salt Cay’s depleted storage tanks while repairs continued.

Saunders had initially projected that the RO plant would be fully operational by August 19. He now says the system is expected to return to full operation “in a few days.”

For residents, however, the immediate reality remains unchanged: the shortage continues, the bulk water has not arrived and the promised relief is not yet flowing.

Continue Reading

News

Beaches Turks & Caicos shares dining etiquette training at Provo youth summer camp  

Published

on

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands: — Beaches Turks and Caicos Resort recently collaborated with the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force and the Department of Social Services to support a youth camp hosted at the Oseta Jolly Primary School, underscoring the resort’s ongoing commitment to youth development in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The camp, which brought together security forces, government agencies and private sector entities, focused on equipping young participants with practical life skills and character-building tools. A team from Beaches Turks and Caicos’ leadership and training departments joined the programme to deliver sessions on basic table etiquette, dining mannerisms, polite demeanour and public speaking fundamentals, all designed to help the students present themselves confidently in formal and professional settings.

General Manager of Beaches Turks and Caicos, Deryk Meany, said the resort views national development as an integral part of its corporate social responsibility. “We are always happy to be supporters in the development of the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands. We continue to commit our team to help in creating the next generation of leaders who will provide support to the islands and help in its development,” Meany noted.

The initiative also received strong endorsement from the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Community Development, which has been championing holistic programmes aimed at building well-rounded young citizens. Minister Rachel Taylor highlighted the importance of collaborations like the camp in helping youth access structured guidance and mentorship. “We are happy to join in celebrating the growth and development of our youth here in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Beaches Turks and Caicos continues to be one of our primary supporters in helping to develop well rounded individuals. This commitment from this resort has grown with the vision of the youth ministry to help in their overall development,” she said.

Taylor further emphasized that the camp’s timing was especially significant, coming as youth across the islands seek positive outlets and constructive engagement. “This camp came at the most ideal time for our adolescents. With the support of our governor, the security forces, the social services along with Beaches Turks and Caicos, we are confident that the training needed for them to improve is on the right track,” she added.

Beaches Turks and Caicos Public Relations Manager, Orville Morgan, described the collaboration as an exemplary model of cross-sector partnership. “To be able to join with the security forces to provide support for the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands is exceptional. We are happy to provide the necessary support to equip them to grow into being productive citizens of these islands,” Morgan said.

He noted that the resort team focused on practical etiquette and hospitality-driven skills that can be carried into the youths’ future experiences. “As a team, we were able to share in the basic table setting and dining etiquette for them, skills we are sure that they will be able to use in their next fine dining experience,” Morgan added.

Organizers expressed optimism that the camp’s blend of discipline, mentorship and soft skills training will have a lasting impact on participants. With stakeholders pledging continued support, the Beaches Turks and Caicos team and their partners aim to expand similar initiatives, further investing in the personal and professional growth of the next generation of Turks and Caicos Islanders.

Continue Reading

News

ELECTRICITY BILL SHOCKER: PELICAN ENERGY WARNED GOV’T

Published

on

TCIG knew from April that fuel factor could surge almost 80%; Minister says $500 cost-of-living payment was part of Government’s response

PROVIDENCIALES — The Turks and Caicos Government knew months before July’s shocking electricity bills that consumers faced a potentially massive increase in the fuel factor.

Minister of Information Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders revealed Friday that Pelican Energy warned his Ministry in April that generation fuel costs were projected to rise from $3.09 per gallon in May to $4.79 in June and July.

That translated into a projected fuel factor jump from about 17.5 cents to 31 cents per kilowatt-hour — an increase of almost 80%.

Saunders said he personally advised Cabinet of the projected increase and presented options for cushioning the impact.

He characterised Government’s $500 cost-of-living payment as its “initial response” to rising fuel costs, before a separate fuel-factor subsidy was approved.

Cabinet records show Government agreed on June 24 to provide funding to mitigate the fuel-factor impact, with the relief programme approved July 8.

Eligible residential customers — those averaging less than $1,500 monthly over the previous three bills — are capped at 22 cents per kWh from July through October.

Pelican confirmed Friday that Government’s contribution was already applied to July bills, meaning the bills now triggering widespread public outrage would have been even higher without the subsidy.

Saunders did not disclose the programme’s total cost.

His admission that Government knew since April, however, raises another question amid the backlash: why were consumers not directly warned by Government about the scale of the approaching increase?

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING