Connect with us

Bahamas News

Bahamas Caucus Youth Climate Change

Published

on

#TheBahamas, February 23, 2022 – During his remarks at the One Young World Bahamas Caucus, on February 17, 2022, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Hon. Philip Davis noted that, when he addressed the ‘One Young World Ambassadors’ in October 2021, just before COP26 in Glasgow, he focused on the environmental and economic damage being inflicted by the adverse effects of climate change – on the world at large, and on The Bahamas in particular.

“I implored you to join me in spreading the word about the urgent need for global climate action,” he said at the event held at the Culinary Arts and Tourism Studies Building of the University of The Bahamas, under the theme, “Climate Action: The Roadmap to Climate Recovery in the Caribbean”.

“After COP26, one thing is clear in my mind: the word has been spread; the world knows.

Leaders know,” he added.

Among those present at the event included Co-Founder of One Young World David Jones, and UB’s Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. Maria Woodside-Oriakhi.

Prime Minister Davis recounted that one by one, leaders of various countries stood on theCOP26 stage, and recited a litany of the damage and risks associated with the adverse impact of climate change.

“In my own contribution, I emphatically made the point about the particular vulnerabilities of low-lying, Small Island Developing States such as ours,” he said.  “And I made sure that it wasn’t just what I believe younger generations refer to as a ‘Pity Party’.”

Prime Minister Davis said that he urged his colleagues to “act and to act now, to help us to help ourselves with the financial support and technology transfers which would enable us to rebuild our country to be resilient against the onslaught of climate change”.

He said: “The Leaders know.  The world knows.  It is the action which must now follow which leaves much to be desired.”

Prime Minister Davis said that he hears the frustration of many young people about the lack of action.

“I hear your fears and anxieties about your future, and the kind of world you will inherit,” he said.  “I understand that amidst this existential threat and the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic greater sacrifices are demanded from you.”

Prime Minister Davis urged them to not despair.

“Even though the world seems to remain stubbornly addicted to a way of life that produces carbon emissions, there are signs that the largest-polluting countries and the highest-polluting industries, are hearing the message,” he said.

He noted that steps taken so far were not nearly enough — and certainly not fast enough; and all must not be fooled by attempts to ‘green-wash’ and confuse the debate.

“But we mustn’t give up, and all our lives depend on it,” he added.

Prime Minister Davis pointed out that two particular features of the ‘One World Caucus’ being held that day, gave him great cause for optimism and hope.

The first feature he noted was their commitment to internationalism.

“Even while there are worrying signs that some nations are being tempted into isolationism and nationalism, your organisation’s continuing commitment to international partnership and international action, is a real cause for optimism,” Prime Minister Davis said.

“It may seem normal to you that you come together in this way,” he added.  “But, be aware that even now, as old geo-political conflicts flare up, and new ones emerge, there will only be justice and peace in this world if we find meaningful ways to come together and to work together.”

Prime Minister Davis said that the second cause for optimism lay in their potential for serious, consequential activism.

“But even as you take on the great issues of our time, remember that no activist cause worth fighting for, was won overnight,” he noted.  “Just because the present reality seems so stacked against it, doesn’t mean that success, however defined, is not possible.”

Prime Minister Davis then spoke briefly on historic international activism pertaining to women’s rights, racial equality and social rights.

“The ongoing battles of various ethnic minorities for their security, of other groups of people for economic justice, for gender equality, for the ability to live your own truth and be who you are – whoever you are — these are not yet fully won,” he noted.  “But the activist efforts behind them continue to yield positive results, however small.”

“I offer these examples to you by way of inspiration,” he added.  “Don’t give up.  Keep on keeping on.  And in not giving up, keep pushing the battle forward.”

Prime Minister Davis told participants that, through their continued activist efforts, many of those who once denied the reality of the negative impacts of climate change, have fallen silent.

“This is partly due to the evidence of two-storey waves of devastating Category 5 hurricanes, the terrifying tornadoes, the furnaces of wildfires which have spread across many continents, and the floods and the landslides which threaten so many communities,” he said.  “But it is also because young people like you, have made it clear that they want more than irresponsible debate.

“Don’t give up. Keep on keeping on.”

Prime Minister Davis pointed out that in The Bahamas, they were making their own effort.

“Yesterday, I was proud to tell Parliament about this Dialogue today,” he said.  “It was in the context of my reporting on the achievements of COP26 by The Bahamas, and the actions since taken by my government.

“In my Communication, I devoted an entire section to ‘Youth Empowerment and Capacity-Building’.”

Prime Minister Davis briefly set out some of the key announcements that he made in the House of Assembly.

“I advised my fellow parliamentarians that this engagement today is the first of several initiatives by my Administration, to connect, collaborate and strategize with young people on matters relating to climate change,” he related.

“I also formally announced that my government has agreed to host a ‘Youth Climate Conference’ at the University of The Bahamas later this year, from July 6th – 8th.”

He added that he was happy to report that they were excited to hear that young people from around the world will be invited to engage with Bahamians from 15-30yrs old, to debate and discuss issues relating to climate change mitigation, adaptation, loss and damage, and climate justice.

“Hopefully, many of you already know that we are an archipelago of some 700 islands.

Of these, there are 16 main islands which are inhabited, which we call the Family Islands,” Prime Minister Davis said.  “To demonstrate the scale of our commitment to the Conference, we promised to ensure that at least two students from each of our Family Islands are able to participate in the ‘Youth Climate Conference’.

“Yesterday, I also informed Parliament that we have appointed two ‘Climate Youth Ambassadors’ to help us to engage and empower young people on the world stage. This was also extremely well-received.”

Prime Minister Davis noted that, as they prepared for The Bahamas to be well-represented at COP27 in Egypt, he announced that his Government is committed to ensuring that at least eight Youth Representatives will form part of the delegation from The Bahamas.

“We hope to stimulate as much interest as possible by young Bahamians, and hope that all young people interested in climate change will put themselves forward to be considered in this competitive selection process,” he said.

“These measures are only the beginning,” he added.  “We are already closely considering much bigger, much more tangible measures that will allow The Bahamas to play a bigger role in helping to secure all our tomorrows.”

“I concluded my Parliamentary Communication by pointing out to my fellow lawmakers, that ‘at no time in our history have the Bahamian people been so actively involved and aware of what is happening on the international stage in respect of climate change.

And at no time has the presence of our people been so necessary.

We are one of the countries most vulnerable to climate change.

To do nothing, to say nothing, not to show up, not to raise our hands and voices and be counted: for my Government, this is simply not an option’.”

Prime Minister noted that that was also his charge to the Caucus.

He said: “Continue to do all you can. Continue to show up. Continue to speak up. Continue to raise your hands and voices. Continue to be counted.

“This is nothing less than the battle of our lives, a battle that we have to win.”

 

By: Eric Rose

Bahamas Information Services

Photo Caption: Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Hon. Philip Davis speaks, during his remarks at the One Young World Bahamas Caucus, on February 17, 2022, held at the Culinary Arts and Tourism Studies Building of the University of The Bahamas, under the theme, “Climate Action: The Roadmap to Climate Recovery in the Caribbean.” (BIS Photos/Eric Rose)

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING