#TheCaribbean, July 7, 2021 – This morning, we awoke to the very sad and disturbing news of the death of Jovenel Moise, the President of the Republic of Haiti, who was killed at his residence at about 1:00 am today, Wednesday 7 July 2021. A statement by Prime Minister Dr. Claude Joseph released this morning confirmed the assassination of President Moise and that the President’s wife, First Lady Moise, was also seriously injured. The Government of The Bahamas is deeply saddened by these developments and strongly condemns the actions of the perpetrators. We offer our deepest condolences to the Government and the people of Haiti. The Heads of Government of CARICOM at its 42nd meeting, which concluded on 6 July 2021, discussed the ongoing situation in Haiti and offered its assistance in finding a peaceful resolution to the political crises. I have been in contact with the Honourable Gaston Browne, Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda, Chairman of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs remains in contact with our Embassy in Haiti. All staff are safe. The Embassy is monitoring the situation. We pray for the people of Haiti and for a peaceful resolution to the political crises.
Dr. Hubert Minnis, Prime Minister of The Bahamas
“I have met and spoken with President Moise many times and in all my interactions with him, particularly within the context of CARICOM, I found him to be a man committed to seeing Haiti take her place in the world. This heinous act is a stain on Haiti and a sorrowful time for the region.”
Andrew Holness, Prime Minister of Jamaica
“The assassination of President Moise of Haiti is an atrocious act which Barbados vehemently condemns. Violence can never be a solution, and must be rejected in all circumstances.”
Mia Mottley, Prime Minister of Barbados
“The late President was mired in a debate as to whether his term ended months ago, or continues until early next year. This uncertainty, as well as, the presence of armed gangs determined to claim control over parts of Port au Prince, the capital, made governance extremely complex and dangerous.
All of CARICOM feel the pain which has been inflicted on Haiti by this killing.”
Gaston Browne, Chairman of CARICOM, Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda
“I am shocked and saddened at the death of President Moise,” Johnson said after Haiti’s interim prime minister announced the president had been shot dead by in his home by unidentified attackers.
“Our condolences are with his family and the people of Haiti. This is an abhorrent act and I call for calm at this time.”
Boris Johnson, UK Prime Minister
“We’re deeply shocked & grieved by the assassination of President Moise & the wounding of the first lady. The government & people of Taiwan condemn such senseless violence & stand in solidarity with Haiti at this difficult time.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the incident in the strongest terms, according to a statement issued. The Secretary-General calls on all Haitians to preserve the constitutional order, remain united in the face of this abhorrent act and reject all violence.”
The United Nations
French Foreign Minister Jean Yves Le Drian has condemned the “cowardly assassination” of Haitian President Jovenel Moise at his private residence and appealed for calm. “All light must be cast on this crime that took place in a deteriorating political and security climate. I call on all actors in Haitian political life for calm and restraint.”
Jean Yves LeDrian, France Foreign Minister
“It is absolutely unacceptable and not something anyone wants to see anywhere in the world. Canada has been and will continue to be a close friend to the Haitian people.”
Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister, Canada
“We condemn this heinous attack and I am sending my sincere wishes for First Lady Moise’s recovery,” Biden said in a statement. “The United States offers condolences to the people of Haiti and we stand ready to assist as we continue to work for a safe and secure Haiti.”
“We need a lot more information but it’s just, it’s very worrisome about the state of Haiti.”
Joe Biden, President of the United States of America
“On behalf of the Government and People of Saint Lucia, I convey our deepest sympathies to Haiti. We condemn the heinous assassination of President Jovenel Möise and all acts of violence. We pray for stability and peace as the Region mourns his passing.”
Allen Chastanet, Prime Minister of St Lucia
“It is with profound sadness that the government and people of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines learnt of the assassination of Jovenel Moïse of the Republic of Haiti, a member-state of our Caribbean Community (CARICOM). This senseless and cowardly act of unbridled violence has shocked and outraged many throughout the Caribbean Community and the world. In our Caribbean Community we settle political differences peacefully through democratic institutions; we do not use violence and thuggery which undermine democracy and the rule of law.”
Ralph Gonsalves Prime Minister of St. Vincent and the Grenadines
“The Turks and Caicos Islands Government was saddened to learn of the news of the death of President of Haiti, Jovenel Moïse this morning. There are no words to describe or justify such an abhorrent act.
On behalf of the Turks and Caicos Islands Government and the people of the TCI, I extend sincere condolences to the Moïse family, to the Haitian Government, the people of Haiti and the Haitian diaspora in the TCI. Our hearts go out to you in your time of mourning.
To President Moïse’s wife, First Lady Mrs. Martine Moïse, our thoughts and prayers are with you as mourn and as you recover from this horrific incident.
My Government have been briefed on the situation in Haiti and will continue to monitor the latest developments. Our National Security Council will be engaging with internal stakeholders to discuss possible implications for the Turks and Caicos Islands and other territories in the region.
My prayer is that the perpetrators are found and held accountable for their malicious actions and that peaceful resolve and good order can arise from such a horrible tragedy.”
Washington Misick – Premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands
Photo Credit (Pres. Joe Biden): Matt Rourke/AP/Shutterstock
Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.
Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.
According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.
The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.
Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.
However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.
The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.
NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.
The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium. Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.
During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.
During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.
CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.
Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.
“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.
Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.
They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.
After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.
“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.
For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.
NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.
NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.
“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.
The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”
The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.
NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.