Connect with us

Bahamas News

NEMA’s ‘Operation Relief’ Makes its way to Sweeting’s Cay and East End, Grand Bahama

Published

on

East End, GB, October 8, 2019 – Bahamas – The National Emergency Management Agency’s (NEMA) Operation Relief made its way to the quaint and peaceful settlements in East End and was received by residents with grateful hearts and opened arms.

Recently, the team, led by Senator Kay Forbes-Smith NEMA’s Grand Bahama Coordinator, loaded up a box truck of hurricane relief supplies and with a convoy of volunteers, headed to the communities of Grand Bahama that were the hardest hit by Hurricane Dorian when it blew through the island on September 1, 2019.

The trip to the East was more of a reconnaissance mission as much as it was a mission of supplying needed relief items.

Sweeting’s Cay was the destination, but obvious needs in communities along the way diverted the route, as Senator Forbes-Smith; Grand Bahama Christian Council President, Robert Lockhart; Island Administrators and NEMA volunteers stopped to deliver cases of water, canned goods, hygiene products, dry goods and words of encouragement to residents in other communities.

“The purpose of the trip was to really get a view of where we are as it relates to our efforts in East Grand Bahama,” said Senator Forbes-Smith. “East Grand Bahama was severely impacted by Hurricane Dorian and we need to really check on a daily basis on how we are progressing in East Grand Bahama, because it is an area that has been devastated so much.”

The trip to East Grand Bahama was carried out by all of NEMA support services working on post Dorian efforts. Bertha McPhee led the team from the Department of Environmental Health, along with the Commander of the Defence Force, Special Forces from the Trinidad police force and local NEMA volunteers.

At each stop, where care packages were delivered to residents, Senator Smith, Pastor Robert Lockhart, East End Administrators and NEMA volunteers listened as home owners and even children expounded the horrors they faced in riding out Hurricane Dorian in East Grand Bahama.

“We wanted to talk to residents in McLean’s Town, in High Rock, in Pelican Point and on Sweeting’s Cay about what their needs are and where they are following Hurricane Dorian,” said Senator Forbes-Smith.

Words of comfort and encouragement were offered, as Pastor Lockhart told home owners to continue to stay strong and to believe in the fact that things will get better.

As the team moved further and further east, the devastation got more severe. In High Rock, only the frames of homes remained. The government complex (which housed a police station, National Insurance Board and a small post office) was obliterated. The High Rock clinic across the street was flattened, with the four walls of the small building lying in four different directions, as if someone had intentional pulled the building apart to see what was inside.

By the time the convoy reached McLean’s Town devastation and the idea of losing everything took on new meaning. The once thriving, robust, active community, where Grand Bahamians would gather by the dock awaiting a boat to get to Abaco or Sweeting’s Cay lie deserted.

Homes that had been abandoned by its occupants during the height of the storm, sat shattered, some had roofs caved in, some had walls blown out and some were only concrete foundations, the only indication that a house at one point stood there.

The remnants of toys, clothing, yard equipment, house appliances and other personal items were strewn over yards where houses had been destroyed.

However, the destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian would also show up in the nearby sea, during the boat ride from McLean’s Town to Sweeting’s Cay, where cars littered the water near the dock. It was unclear how so many cars ended up in the sea surrounding McLean’s Town, but speculations suggested that the high tide that had moved on land, receded, pulling cars with it into the sea.

Sweeting’s Cay would suffer the same fate as McLean’s Town. Not one home or building on the small cay escaped Hurricane Dorian’s wrath. Some were more damaged than others, but all were basically uninhabitable. Yet the people on Sweeting’s Cay insisted on staying, not wanting to leave what they had worked so hard to accumulate, in spite of the fact that it was all lying in rubble.

On the surface, one looking from the outside in, would have found it difficult to believe that Sweeting’s Cay residents had gone through a major hurricane and that they had lost all that they had to that storm, because they greeted the convoy of NEMA volunteers with welcoming smiles, hugs and genuine appreciation.

Supplies were unloaded and taken to a central location on the Cay, where residents gathered and the supplies distributed based on individual need. A tour of the Cay would reveal destruction that seem unimaginable, yet miraculously, no one on Sweeting’s Cay lost their life to Hurricane Dorian.

According to Senator Smith, the trip gave NEMA some insight as to where residents on Sweeting’s Cay and in East End stood in terms of their needs.

“From this trip, what we found is that we have to come up with a different strategy for debris removal in east Grand Bahama and we also have to talk about the education that we need to provide to the community as it relates to mold remediation.

“There’s a thousand things that we need to do in East Grand Bahama, as we have to do for the entire island of Grand Bahama that was flooded and hit hard. There is still a lot of work left to be done in restoring the island of Grand Bahama. But if we take it one step at a time, then we will eventually get there.”

By: Andrew Coakley

Release: BIS

Photo Captions:

Header: Pastor Robert Lockhart (left) and NEMA Coordinator (GB), Kay Forbes-Smith (right) offers words of encouragement and comfort to a resident in High Rock who suffered great loss as a result of Hurricane Dorian that devastated the Eastern part of Grand Bahama when if passed through the island on September 1, 2019.

1st Insert: A resident of Freetown, East Grand Bahama shares his experience of Hurricane Dorian with NEMA Coordinator (GB), Kay Forbes-Smith and Grand Bahama Christian Council President, Pastor Robert Lockhart, during a recent NEMA distribution of hurricane relief supplies to the residents of East Grand Bahama.

2nd Insert: Senator Kay Forbes-Smith, NEMA Coordinator (GB) chats with a resident of Sweeting’s Cay, while the hurricane relief supplies for the community was off loaded from a boat and placed at a central location on the island, during NEMA’s distribution of supplies to residents in East Grand Bahama.

3rd Insert: A well-known resident and business owner from High Rock, affectionately known as “Bishop” points out the severe damage that was done to his restaurant and villas in High Rock as a result of Category 5 Hurricane Dorian. At right is NEMA Coordinator (GB), Senator Kay Forbes-Smith.

(BIS photos by Lisa Davis)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING