Connect with us

Bahamas News

NEMA gets 10,000 meals-a-day assistance from RCCL for storm recovery

Published

on

#Freeport, GB, September 6, 2019 – Bahamas – International supplies for the residents of Grand Bahama who had been devastated by Hurricane Dorian began arriving in today, as Royal Caribbean Cruise Line brought in 10,000 cooked meals and water, along with boat loads of other food items and supplies.

Members of the international press were on hand for the arrival of the goods at the Freeport Harbour on Thursday morning.

“This is a coordinated effort on between Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and NEMA in Grand Bahama to assist victims of Hurricane Dorian disaster,” said President of the Senate, the Hon. Katherine Forbes-Smith, who is assisting the Government and NEMA in their restoration efforts.

“Royal Caribbean is one of our international partners who has had a working relationship with The Bahamas for some 40 years. So, they wanted to reach out and do what they could to assist Grand Bahama during this time.”

According to Alex De Roeck of Royal Caribbean, the effort is not a one-time affair.

“We will be delivering these 10,000 meals every day during the duration of this effort to be of service to the Grand Bahamian people,” said De Roeck, who works in hotel operations, RCCL Miami. “We will be diverting our cruise ships to this port every day to ensure that this effort continues.

“What will be happening is, we will provide the items and deliver them, but local Emergency officials will decide where they are to be delivered and distributed.

Thursday’s delivery of food items and supplies was accomplished by the Empress of the Seas.  Because of the possibility of debris in the water, the cruise ship did not dock at the harbor, but out to sea, where tug boats loaded the supplies and delivered them to waiting trucks on the dock.

Alex noted that this kind of humanitarian effort is a part of Royal Caribbean’s operational profile. Adding that the relationship between Royal Caribbean and the Bahamas has been a long, established one. “So, we try to reinvest in the local community and also try to assist that community when things like this happens.

“Because we have this long relationship with the islands, we want to do our part to support them and to get them back on their feet.”

While Royal Caribbean has most of its ships ported in Nassau, Alex said that the cruise line will use a different ship each day to make the trip to Grand Bahama to deliver the 10,000 meals.

He added that the company is seeking to set up a feeding kitchen on the island, but said that option was not concrete, as they have to work with NEMA to discuss the feasibility and location of such a kitchen.

Other items being donated by Royal Caribbean – in addition to the meals – include generators, blankets, towels, tissue, cereals, canned goods and other dry goods.

The joint effort was one which Minister of State for Grand Bahama, Senator Kwasi Thompson had made mention of during his live update on ZNS on Wednesday evening, when he noted that a number of international companies, corporations and individuals have expressed their interest in doing what they can to assist Grand Bahama during this time of natural disaster.

“We have been in contact with many of those people and there is a huge desire by our international friends to do what they can to help us,” Minister Thompson said on Wednesday night. “Through NEMA, we are organizing to properly bring in the aid that is being offered and to ensure that they are properly distributed to the residents of Grand Bahama.”       

Minister Thompson, along with Deputy Prime Minister, K. Peter Turnquest and other Parliamentary representatives are all working with NEMA (GB) in the effort to help restore Grand Bahama following the devastation by Hurricane Dorian on Monday, September 1, 2019.

Packing winds of 185 miles per hour Hurricane Dorian pounded Grand Bahama for two days as its movement slowed down considerably over the island. Many residents lost their homes due to flooding and high winds.

Once the all clear had been given on Wednesday, September 4, NEMA and the Emergency Center have been busy with the work of restoration of the island.

By Andrew Coakley

Release: BIS

Photo Captions:

Header: Crew Members of Empress of the Seas cruise ship help to unload food items delivered to Grand Bahama as a part of relief efforts following devastation by Hurricane Dorian. In addition to dry goods, water, generators, blankets, etc, RCCL also delivered 10,000 cooked meals for residents of Grand Bahama.

1st Insert: President of the Senate, Kay Forbes-Smith (center, pink blouse), along with Tammy Mitchell from NEMA (left) look over the list of items expected to be delivered to Grand Bahama on behalf of Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, which arrived on the island on Thursday, September 5, 2019 at Freeport Harbour.  At left, is a team of volunteers from RCCL, who helped to unload the items.

2nd Insert: Crew members and workers of Freeport Harbour helped to unload water donated to NEMA from RCCL as a part of Hurricane Relief efforts.

BIS Photos/Andrew Coakley

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS RATING UPGRADE: A WIN—BUT NOT A FREE PASS

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – With elections days away, The Bahamas has picked up a headline-friendly win: a credit rating upgrade.

Here’s the one-liner that matters most:

A higher rating can mean cheaper borrowing for the government—over time.

That’s the upside. When lenders see less risk, they demand lower interest. That can ease the cost of financing big projects and managing national debt.

But that’s only part of the story.

Moody’s Ratings has upgraded The Bahamas to Ba3 from B1, citing stronger fiscal discipline, improved liquidity and a more stable funding strategy. It also points to better tax collection, controlled spending and continued strength in tourism as key drivers.

Moody’s expects the government to maintain solid primary surpluses—essentially bringing in more than it spends before debt payments—and projects national debt to decline from 72.5% of GDP to around 68% by 2027.

That’s progress.

But here’s the reality check.

The Bahamas is still below investment grade. In plain terms, the country remains in speculative territory, meaning investors still see a higher level of risk compared to more stable economies.

Debt, while improving, is still elevated. And the economy remains heavily dependent on tourism—a sector that can shift quickly with global conditions, weather events or geopolitical shocks.

Even Moody’s signals that more work is needed. Further upgrades depend on:

  • sustained reductions in debt
  • improved debt affordability
  • and continued access to favourable financing

So while the upgrade reflects real gains, it is not a finish line.

It is a signal that the country is moving in the right direction—but must stay disciplined to keep that momentum.

For voters heading to the polls, the takeaway is simple:

The Bahamas has strengthened its financial position—but the fundamentals still need work.

The progress is real.

The challenge now is to make it last.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

VOTES SAFE, SAYS PRD AFTER BALLOT BOX FIASCO VIDEO

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 4, 2026 – The Parliamentary Registration Department is assuring the public that ballots cast during advance polling remain secure, following a viral video that sparked confusion and concern in eastern Nassau.

The footage, widely circulated on social media, showed a tense scene outside Thelma Gibson Primary School, where party supporters surrounded election officials as a ballot box was escorted to a waiting vehicle under police guard. The confrontation—loud, chaotic and closely watched—left many questioning whether proper procedures were being followed.

In response, the PRD moved to clarify.

In an official statement, the Department said the transport of ballot boxes in the Elizabeth and Yamacraw constituencies was conducted in line with established protocol. It explained that once polling concludes, the Presiding Officer is required to return sealed ballot boxes to the Returning Officer, who—accompanied by a senior police officer—then transports them to the Parliamentary Commissioner.

The PRD said it is satisfied that Returning Officer Sonia Culmer adhered to those procedures and that the ballot boxes remained sealed at all times.

But that account has been challenged.

PLP Elizabeth candidate Jobeth Coleby-Davis has called for an urgent investigation into what she described as alleged irregularities involving ballot handling. She claims that established procedures were breached, including the movement of sealed ballot boxes without the presence of party observers, and is urging authorities to review the matter.

The competing accounts have added to public unease following scenes that saw supporters from multiple political parties crowding officials during the transfer process, demanding clarity on what was taking place.

Individuals clad in PLP shirts, including incumbent Coleby-Davis swarmed the returning officer, police officers and the ballot boxes.  The charge was the woman in the crosshairs of the accusations was connected to the opposition FNM party.

There was nothing to validate this claim and there is no confirmed breach reported by election officials.

Ballots cast during advance polling are expected to remain secured until Election Day, May 12, when they will be merged with ballots in their respective constituencies and counted as part of the official tally.

For now, the PRD is standing firm on the integrity of the process—even as calls for further scrutiny grow louder.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING