Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Minister Dames Highlights Crime-Fighting and RBPF Initiatives

Published

on

#Nassau, January 10, 2019 – Bahamas – Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin H. Dames, said, on January 6, 2019, that, despite the accomplishments that the Royal Bahamas Police Force officers may have had over the previous year, the nation was still faced with an unacceptable level of crime and fear of crime.

“Our Government understands that we cannot simply ‘arrest’ our way of this issue,” Minister Dames said, during the RBPF Annual Church Service, held at Annex Baptist Cathedral, Wulff and Pinedale Roads. “So since coming to office almost 2 years ago, we have attacked crime from its roots by making criminal justice improvements, increasing educational achievement, improving social justice, reintegrating offenders, and creating economic empowerment initiatives.”

Among those in attendance were Prime Minister Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis; Acting Permanent at the Ministry of National Secretary Eugene Poitier; Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson; Commander of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force Commodore Tellis Bethel; Acting Commissioner of Correctional Services Charles Murphy; Comptroller of Customs Dr. Geannine Moss; Director of Immigration Clarence Russell; senior officers and heads of uniformed branches of Government, including the Road Traffic Department and the Airport Authority; President of the Bahamas Christian Council Bishop Delton Fernander and numerous BCC members; members of the clergy; and family members of those members of the uniformed branches present who died in 2018.

Minister Dames stated that the Citizen Security and Justice Programme was one such initiative, that had already impacted the lives of many at-risk youth.

“Last year, we signed a contract with the National Training Agency for a programme that equips at-risk youth with the skills they need to make an honest living,” he said. “There are now 278 participants who will be completing the programme at the end of this month; 30 of whom have already secured full time jobs.”

Minister Dames noted that the Government had also signed a contract with the Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute which allows inmates at the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services to earn technical and vocational skills before they are released back into society. This will allow them to have skills to earn an honest living and a second chance of living a crime free life, he noted.

“The first cohort of 110 inmates graduated last year and the second cohort of 110 are now in the programme,” Minister Dames said. “This is an important aspect of our rehabilitation and reintegration efforts, which will have a positive impact on crime in the medium term.”

Minister Dames noted that the establishment of the Advisory Council on Crime was another initiative that his Ministry would be completing in 2019. He added that Dr. David Allen had been identified as a suitable Chairperson.

“With his guidance, the Council will provide us with creative ideas and advice that will bolster our Government’s crime fighting plan,” he said.

Investments in the “latest and greatest” police technology and equipment were ongoing and were another key component in supporting the professionalization of Bahamian armed forces, Minister Dame stated.

“In a few weeks, we will be signing a contract for the Shot Spotter Technology,” he added. “This technology revolutionizes crime fighting. It uses acoustic surveillance technology to detect, locate and alert the police of gunfire.”

Minister Dames continued and said that real-time data of precise locations, number of shots, and type of gunfire would be transmitted to the police control room, allowing analysts to pinpoint and subsequently dispatch units to the scene with the foreknowledge of particulars before their arrival.

“Getting to a gunfire incident faster not only improves the likelihood of apprehending a perpetrator, but may also save the life of a gunshot victim,” Minister Dames said.

The second phase of the expansion of the police fleet of vehicles was in motion, as another $3.4 million dollars would be spent to provide additional police cruisers, SUVs, T-3 Segways and ATVs, Minister Dames noted. Those vehicles, he said, would be hitting the streets across The Bahamas – from Bimini to Inagua – within the first quarter of 2019.

Minister Dames said that the National Neighbourhood Watch Council (NNWC), which was launched by Prime Minister Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis in April 2018, was already having a major impact on the safety and quality of life within communities.

“The 77 nationally recognized groups in New Providence and eight in Grand Bahama have been busy working to strengthen their relationship with the police,” he said. “By conducting foot patrols, vehicle patrols, and communicating with their divisional liaison officers, NNWC members have helped to reduce incidents of crime, particularly with thefts of vehicles.

“The NNWC is already affiliated with an international neighbourhood watch organization called Neighborhoods USA and will participate in its first international conference this summer.”

Minister Dames pointed out that the 134 new police officers had already been posted to various divisions in line with recommendations from the Manpower Audit. An additional 130 recruits would begin training shortly, as “we move to bring the Force’s strength up to appropriate levels”.

He added that the Police Reserves Audit would be completed shortly and its recommendations were aimed at addressing the concerns that reservists and regular officers share alike.

“Let me assure you that we will get this right,” he said.

Minister Dames stated that succession planning was a very important aspect of any progressive organization as it prepares and develops future leaders.

“A number of you in the senior ranks are nearing the end of your prestigious careers; and before we know it, the Force will need a new generation of leaders,” Minister Dames said. “Now is the time to look throughout ranks and identify officers who demonstrate the capacity to hold the top ranks in the Force.

“These officers must be trained, tasked, exposed and prepared to assume these critical positions in the dynamic field of policing.”

Minister Dames noted that a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the University of The Bahamas and the Ministry of National Security would be signed shortly.

“This MOU will also involve a partnership with the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, which is one of the top schools for criminal justice in the United States,” he said. “The MOU will facilitate two Professional Certifications programmes; one in Law Enforcement Management and the other in Law Enforcement Leadership.”

He noted that mid to senior-level law enforcement officers would be targeted and specific courses would include finance, budgeting, human resources and critical issues facing police leaders globally.

“This programme is a key aspect of a broader succession plan for all law enforcement agencies,” Minister Dames said. “As a result, within the next few years, each law enforcement agency will have a cadre of competent officers from which the new generation of leaders will be selected.”

 

By Eric Rose

Photo Caption: Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin H. Dames, highlights a number of crime-fighting initiatives, on January 6, 2019, during the Royal Bahamas Police Force Annual Church Service, held at Annex Baptist Cathedral, Wulff and Pinedale Roads.

 

(BIS Photo / Eric Rose)

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING