#TurksandCaicos, September 1, 2017 – Providenciales – His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 21st meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday, 30 August 2017, at the N J S Francis Building on Grand Turk.
All Ministers were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
- Received a presentation by Mr Justine Pierre of Dunn, Pierre, Barnett and Associates on the outcome of the National Skills Audit and Migration Survey consultancy. Cabinet thanked Mr Pierre for the extensive work that had gone into the audit and survey and would reflect on the recommendations in his report;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the first registration of approximately 0.14 acres of accreted Crown Land lying seaward of Parcel 60804/6 on Providenciales and to grant a long-term 99 year lease to Mansfield Hotels Ltd over that parcel of land for the purpose of regularising its occupation of that land. Cabinet called on the Crown Land Unit to prepare a policy on accreted land as a matter of priority;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to grant a long-term lease to the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Library Services over Crown Land Parcel 61113/268 at Long Bay Hills, Providenciales, for the development of a public primary school in accordance with the Crown Land Ordinance subject to an environmental impact assessment being carried and other environmental considerations being met;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the allocation of Crown Land Parcels in Block 10403 at East Suburbs on Grand Turk to successful applicants who filed applications under the Grand Turk Residential Land Allocation Scheme GDT002 in accordance with the Crown Land Ordinance;
- Noted the financial performance of the TCI Statutory Bodies for the period April-June 2017 as submitted in the First Quarter Financial Report for the Financial Year 2017/18 and approved the publication of the report as required by Section 147 of the Public Financial Management Regulations 2014. Cabinet expressed concern about the financial position and management of some of the Statutory Bodies;
- Noted the financial performance of the TCI Government for the period April-June 2017 as submitted in the First Quarter Financial Report and approved the publication of the report as required by Section 36 of the Public Finance Management Ordinance 2012;
- Received an information paper from the Hon. Premier, as Minister of Finance, Trade and Investment, up-dating Cabinet on the status of the loan portfolio purchased from TOLCO which was formerly managed by Invest TCI;
- Approved MSME concession orders to North Win Unites and Bayside Estate to operate vacation rentals in Grand Turk and North Caicos respectively in accordance with the MSME Development Ordinance 2015;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to revoke the appointment of Mrs Natasha Hall as Secretary of the Immigration Appeals Tribunal with effect from 30 August 2017 and to appoint Mrs Lillian Gibbs, a civil servant attached to the Employment Services Department, as her replacement with effect from 31 August 2017 in accordance with the Immigration Ordinance 2015;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the extension with immediate effect of appointments to the TCI Health Practitioners Board for a period of one year in accordance with the Health Practitioners Ordinance to the following:
Dr Nadia Astwood, Chairman/Ex-Officio Member
Dr Dionne Lightbourne, Member
Mrs Audrey Ewing, Member
Mr Shanwell Gardiner, Member
Dr Kendra Gardiner-Hall, Member
- Endorsed a proposal by the Hon. Minister of Education, Youth, Sports and Library Services to designate the Long Bay High School on Providenciales as a junior high school for students in Forms 1-3 and the Clement Howell High School on Providenciales as a senior high school for students in Forms 4-5 on the condition, as confirmed by the Hon. Premier, as Minister of Finance, that the re-designation incurred no additional costs;
- Received an up-date from the Hon. Minister of Home Affairs on the refurbishment and other works being undertaken at HM Prison on Grand Turk;
- Received an up-date from the Hon. Premier, as Minister of Finance, on the latest financial position of the National Health Insurance Board (NHIB) including on measures to increase revenue inflows to the NHIB. The Hon. Minister of Health up-dated Cabinet on steps being taken to arrest expenditure by the NHIB. Cabinet agreed on measures to be taken to address the management problems at the NHIB.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.
Press Release: TCIG