Connect with us

Bahamas News

Jamaica to help coordinate Irma relief

Published

on

#Jamaica, September 14, 2017 – Kingston – Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, says that Jamaica is to assist with the coordination of relief activities for Caribbean countries affected by the passage of hurricane Irma.

He said at the request of the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), the Government activated the Subregional Coordination Centre, which will provide support with rapid damage assessment and procure relief items for the affected states.   The Centre will also make logistical arrangements for transportation of relief and response resources.

Minister McKenzie was speaking during the sitting of the House of Representatives on Tuesday (September 12).   He informed that the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is actively pursuing the deployment of specialist teams for rapid needs assessment for the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) and The Bahamas.    This includes members of the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF), National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA), National Works Agency (NWA) and other technical-support partners.

He further informed that ODPEM is facilitating the movement of humanitarian workers, including a United Nations 16-member team, to the TCI and procuring and transporting relief to the TCI and The Bahamas, which includes emergency roofing supplies, water, hygiene kits and food items.

In addition, the Local Government Minister said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade has been working with the high commission office in Port of Spain, Trinidad, the consulate in TCI and community leaders in the affected territories in order to ascertain the number of Jamaicans affected by the disaster, and their immediate needs.

He informed that the Jamaican High Commissioner in Trinidad has deployed an officer to Antigua to meet with Jamaicans affected by the hurricane, at a reception centre set up by CDEMA at the V.C. Bird International Airport in Antigua.

“The Government is looking at the possibility of sending a delegation to at least have a first-hand look at what has taken place in the region and to offer much closer assistance and contact with our Jamaican nationals in these respective areas,”  Mr. McKenzie said.

Meanwhile, in response to a question from Opposition Spokesperson on Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Dr. Morais Guy, Minister McKenzie told the House that the Government is looking into the possibility of bringing back those Jamaicans, who are desirous of returning to the island.

“Based on what has taken place so far, it is difficult to find almost everybody.    A proper assessment has to be done.    There are many islanders who sound like Jamaicans, and you don’t want to take the wrong person,” he said.

“It is only fair that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, working through CDEMA, that some time is given to facilitate the information, so that the kind of decision that will be made will be one that will satisfy everybody.    We have been in contact with a number of individuals and already efforts are being made to ensure that that is done,” the Local Government Minister added.

Jamaica has also launched an Irma Relief Fund at the National Commercial Bank (NCB) Oxford Road in the name of ODPEM Donation.    Persons can make donations to the account number 212387304.

Release: JIS

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING