Bahamas, July 13th 2017: Ken Dorsett is expected to be officially charged before a court on Friday on a total of Nine Charges. The charges brought against Former Environment and Housing Minister include, a single count of misconduct in public office, four counts of extortion, and bribery totaling One Hundred and twenty thousand dollars ($120,000). Reports say Contractor, Jonathon Ash is said to be the tell- all man, as he has admitted to giving the one hundred and twenty thousand dollars to Dorsett.
Reports say he arrived at court this afternoon and has since been remanded in custody until August 31st, however, has been given the right to apply for bail.
On Wednesday evening, reports began circulating that Dorsett had been taken into police custody and was assisting the Royal Bahamas Police Force, with a Bribery investigation connected to the New Providence Landfill.
His attorney, Queen’s Counsel Wayne Munroe is describing the situation as a witch-hunt. However, he explains the investigation is connected to allegations that eighty thousand dollars to one hundred thousand dollars, were allegedly exchanged in connection with work done by a heavy equipment operator for the moving of debris from the landfill following fire at the site in March.
Munroe says the allegation has no proof, as there is no money trail showing this happened. He adds his client was contacted to come in and see the police, where he was told that a gentleman made the claim based on the payment for the cleanup at the dump. Munroe is warning the current government of the ongoing witch hunt, saying it sets a dangerous precedent without showing proof for their claims, as anyone can come forward and make allegations against the Prime Ministers and members of his cabinet and be brought into custody.
Dorset is an Attorney at Law, while he represented Southern Shores from 2012-2017 under the PLP administration . He lost his seat in the May 10th polls to the FNM’s Frankie Campbell.