Bahamas, June 19, 2017 – Nassau – The NHI’s catastrophic care programme will begin the process to alleviate the massive financial burdens that families shoulder, Minister of Health Dr. the Hon. Duane Sands said.
The $40 million, which will be allocated to NHI for the 2017/18 Fiscal Year, will be carefully managed to cap expenditure on primary care to about $15 million and catastrophic care to $15 million, Dr. Sands explained during his Budget Contribution, Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
“We will cap the per patient benefit and specify the benefits.
“We will isolate the benefits from political interference and ensure value for patients and the public purse.”
The Health Minister added, “We will not damage existing industries and businesses, but seek partnerships in the delivery of care.”
He said the new Public Health Authority Board has been mandated to eliminate waste and inefficiency so that next year the Government would be able to commit as much as $100 million to the NHI programme.
Dr. Sands said contracts with existing providers and vendors will be reviewed and renegotiated.
“The NHI infrastructure will be downsized and made to function as a lean efficient team under the leadership of Dr. Delon Brennen.
“Many of the big ticket contracts for professional consultation and public relations will be dramatically reduced and redirected where possible to utilize local Bahamian expertise,” Dr. Sands said.
“We will re-engage local providers and stakeholders to develop a product which is less a political tool and more a national solution.”
He said this new shift forward on NHI starts immediately and the Government will be working quickly to ensure:
1. The broader acceptance of NHI and increase physician participation in the program to ensure that Bahamians can see the doctor of their choice and receive high quality healthcare.
2. That a robust catastrophic care program is managed fairly and free of political interference.
3. That a proper governance structure with a high-functioning board is put in place by the end of the first quarter.
“Looking ahead, NHI will need to be sustainably funded. The priority to achieving this is to aggressively pursue savings within the existing health system, and de-fund programs that are not providing value to Bahamian people. Longer-term sustainable financing measures will need to be identified as NHI provides value to Bahamians and expands its benefits.”
He noted that Bahamians pay enormous amounts for healthcare now and do not get the same value for money spent as certain other countries.
The Health Minister said before this administration demands a tax, levy or contribution above or beyond what is already collected, the Government must and will ensure that waste and inefficiency are cut out of the system.
“Let us remember that NHI is a social programme that is more than three decades in the making in The Bahamas, and one that has continued to evolve across administrations.
“This administration will continue its implementation but in a way that is sustainable, collaborative and increasingly more focused on the catastrophic episodes that can bankrupt families,” Dr. Sands said.
U.S. Supports the RBPF With Additional Crime Fighting Vehicles on The Bahamas’ “Road to 50”
#TheBahamas, January 31, 2023 – Since 1973, the United States and The Bahamas have enjoyed a long-lasting security partnership. To mark this valued friendship, the United States Government, on January 31, 2023, renewed its support for the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) with 20 new Ford Police Inceptor Hybrid SUVs valuing nearly $1.4 million. The United States’ Chargé d’Affaires Usha Pitts; Prime Minister, the Hon. Philip Davis; Minister of National Security, the Hon. Wayne Munroe and RBPF Commissioner Clayton Fernander were on hand for the donation at RBPF East Hill Street Headquarters.
The 20 hybrid vehicles will be added to the 32 vehicles previously donated to the RBPF by the US government to help replace crucial infrastructure lost during Hurricane Dorian. Recovering from a hurricane is an arduous process that requires support at many levels, from roads and housing to mental health services. The U.S. government hopes these vehicles will contribute to one key step in the process: citizen security. These vehicles will not only assist the RBPF’s efforts to combat crime but will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions on the islands.
In her remarks Chargé Pitts noted, “these vehicles are just one example of the United States’ continued efforts to help for The Bahamas’ keep its citizens and visitors safe.”
Prime Minister Philip Davis showed his appreciation for this timely vehicle donation as it will assist with added capacity and increased saturation patrols on the streets. The Prime Minister added that residents will notice an increased police presence and the police will have new capacity to respond quickly to any criminal activity.
RBPF Commissioner Clayton Fernander highlighted that “we have noticeably taken more illegal firearms and ammunition off our streets in 2022. We have also seized more illegal drugs including marijuana and marijuana plants than in [previous] years. Suffice to say, we have efficiently utilized all 32 vehicles previously donated by the U.S. government in our crime fighting efforts.”
In recent years, the U.S. Government, through U.S. Embassy Nassau, has delivered more than $25 million to assist The Bahamas with efforts to fight crime. On behalf of the Bahamian people, Minister of National Security Wayne Munroe extended his gratitude for the U.S. government’s assistance noting “It seems that when we’re together there [is] always an occasion where they [U.S. government] have helped us and assisted us substantially.”
Captions: Credited to U.S. Embassy Nassau
Minister of Health & Wellness thanks Cuban nurses for their service during the COVID-19 Pandemic
The Ministry of Tourism, Investments & Aviation on Visitor Arrivals
#TheBahamas, January 30, 2023 – The Ministry of Tourism is extremely excited to announce that visitor arrivals to The Bahamas eclipsed seven million in 2022, signaling a return to pre-pandemic tourism numbers.
In total 7,000,706 visitors came to The Bahamas in 2022.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism, Investments, and Aviation Chester Cooper praised The Bahamas’ performance and the work put in by industry professionals across the board.
“The fact that we have exceeded expectations and attracted more than 7 million visitors to our country in 2022, something only done once before in a single year was no accident,” he said.
“Countless stakeholders in the Bahamian tourism industry, including our international partners, worked tirelessly to achieve this. We sought to strengthen relationships to open new air routes. We sought to make travel to The Bahamas easier, more accessible, and affordable and took the message that we were open for business during our Missions and provided insight on our wonderful offerings to the world.”
“According to statistics the second half of 2022 outperformed the second half of 2019,” he said. In 2022, 1,470,244 visitors came to our shores by air; another 5,530,462 visitors arrived by sea.
Nassau and Grand Bahama remained our most popular destinations by air, while Nassau and The Berry Islands remained our most popular destinations by sea. Foreign air and sea arrivals for 2022 were up by 233 percent over the same period in 2021 and just 3.4 percent shy of record arrivals in 2019. December 2022 saw total arrivals eclipse 900,000 visitors, more than any month in our history. Cruise arrivals in 2022 increased by nearly 400 percent over 2021 and were less than 1 percent below 2019 cruise arrivals.
Air and cruise arrivals monthly from July to December 2022 surpassed the corresponding month in 2019.
Occupancy rates for 2022 eclipsed occupancy rates for every corresponding month in 2021.
The average daily room rate in 2022 outperformed that category for every corresponding month in 2021. The Bahamas carved out new ground with more than 55 percent of first-time arrivals to The Bahamas, with increases in the United States, Canada, Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
DPM Cooper confirmed that the last six months are the strongest The Bahamas has ever seen. He firmly concluded by saying; “What the Ministry of Tourism, Investments, and Aviation are forecasting so far and what forward bookings indicate, is that we are on track to break records in 2023. We don’t see this slowing down anytime soon.”
Mrs. Latia Duncombe, Director General of Tourism added that everyone should understand that tourism is critical to our economy and all Bahamians, even those who do not directly work in the tourism industry, should always seek to lift the industry up.
“We are all in the tourism business in The Bahamas. And it’s a great business to be in. We want to keep our brand fresh and evergreen. And that’s everyone’s job, especially mine. I have a great, hardworking team at our ministry and we have some incredible things in store this year.”
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Health1 week ago
PAHO platform brings health monitoring of chronic diseases to remote populations
Caribbean News1 week ago
Trinidad and Tobago gets a new president, the second woman to be elected to the position
Caribbean News7 days ago
Building community, economic, and environmental resilience through the Turks and Caicos Islands’ Covid-19 recovery
Caribbean News1 week ago
Long Stay Tourist Arrivals Up over 40% says TCIAA
Bahamas News1 week ago
The first IHOP in the Caribbean to open its doors in February; destination Bahamas
Bahamas News1 week ago
BBSQ and EU officials discuss national quality infrastructure advancements under Standby Facility project
Education1 week ago
Transformative math opportunity for TCI; Singapore style is coming
Caribbean News7 days ago
Usain Bolt and 30 others to get FBI Help in massive fraud case at SSL Jamaica