Connect with us

Bahamas News

New Collaboration Expands Availability of Gastrointestinal Healthcare

Published

on

Bahamas, April 13, 2017 – Nassau – Comprehensive gastrointestinal services are now available at Family Medicine Center clinic on Blake Road, as a result of a new collaboration with The Centre for Digestive Health.

Through the new working arrangement, Dr. Harold Munnings and Dr. Flloyd Carter of The Centre for Digestive Health are able to make their services more accessible to people on the western side of New Providence. Specialist consultations, colonoscopy and other services are available.  “This collaboration brings significant benefits to patients,” said Dr. Graham Cates, medical practitioner and founder of Family Medicine Center.   “We are pleased to work with the Centre for Digestive Health, a medical operation that offers high quality, patient-centered care. Dr. Munnings shares our vision for comprehensive healthcare. We welcome the opportunity to work closely with him, Dr. Carter, and their skilled medical team, to expand our services and provide the best care possible for patients.”

Robert Green, was the first person to receive healthcare services under the new collaboration, undergoing a routine colonoscopy last week. Mr. Green, a regular patient at FMC, was happy to see the new services come available at the medical facility located on Blake Road.   “The Family Medicine Center out west where they performed the procedure was very convenient and I did not have to deal with the downtown traffic or parking. It was also very close (two blocks) from where I live,” said Mr. Green.

rivington center nassau“This is the second colonoscopy I’ve had in the last 12 years with the first in Dallas, Texas. This colonoscopy went very smooth! The preparation prior to the procedure went just as planned. The morning of the procedure was great, I showed up at 10am.  Once called, we went upstairs so Nurse Cooper could get me ready for Dr. Munnings. It was painless and fast.  After a few minutes I fell asleep, then woke up thinking I was still waiting for the procedure until I saw the clock and realized that they had finished.  After a few more checks I was cleared to go home and I felt great!”

Both Family Medicine Center and the Centre for Digestive Health are innovative leading medical operations.   “Dr. Graham Cates is a fine doctor and a visionary, who is moving to fill a crying need for high quality and comprehensive medical services in western New Providence,” said Dr. Harold Munnings, Gastroenterologist and founder of The Centre for Digestive Health.   “The Family Medicine Center, which he operates, is one of the the finest medical facilities in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas. Dr. Carter and I are happy to join the team and make our specialist services available at this location”.

Family Medicine Center was founded with a focus on a whole-life approach to healthcare, specialising in physical, mental and emotional well-being – offering the only full health and wellness service that integrates wellness education with medical support such as labs, medication, nursing and psychology.   The Centre for Digestive Health has been a leader in gastroenterology in The Bahamas since 1997, providing expert consultation, evaluation and treatment in all aspects of gastrointestinal, pancreatic and liver disease in both adults and children.

The collaboration between Family Medicine Center and the Centre For Digestive Health is reflective of both organisations’ commitment to improve patient care.   For more information visit: www.familymedicinecenter.org and www.digestivehealthbahamas.com.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING