Providenciales, TCI, July 6, 2016 – The Turks and Caicos is not ready to be an independent nation and Premier Rufus Ewing said he will not push these islands toward the step before there is better education and less apprehension on the issue. “So it’s nothing to take lightly, it’s nothing to just jump to. Yes we all require some education about independence, and we have to continue to speak about independence without getting nervous about it, but we haven’t been able to do so in this country, because the minute you decide to speak about independence, there’s some fear mongers who make people believe that you are going to go independent tomorrow, and that a government can push you to independence and push it down your throat. No government can make this country independent without you the people.”
Premier Ewing was speaking at the press conference held by the PNP on Monday at the Opus conference room and taking on an issue former premier Michael Misick says is a matter of urgency; Misick chided the current PNP for not moving more swiftly toward independence for the country. The decision of 52% of British voters to eventually end the UK’s place in the European Union last month brought new comments from Misick who said the Governor and the Premier should at least hold a referendum on the matter of independence.
While the Governor on National Heroes Day said both he and the FCO want to see a referendum held on Independence in the Turks and Caicos, when Magnetic Media asked the Premier if he is ready to hold that referendum, there was this point blank response. “No i’m not prepared to run a referendum.”
The Progressive National Party will next week begin the candidate selection process but even securing the most support at that level where party members vote will not mean automatic candidacy on the PNP ticket. Party Chairman, Royal Robinson explained that two thirds of the vote must be had and where that is not accomplished in the district and all island candidate categories, there will be some executive meetings within the party to determine the final five for the districts and the final three for the at large.
“If that doesn’t happen on the first round, then there will be a second round of voting. If there’s still no person coming out with the two-thirds majority at the second round, then the two persons that have the top amount of votes will then be sent to the NEC of the Progressive National Party for a recommendation and decision that will go to the National General Council or a special convention.”
There are nine vying for the at large spots including current MPs, Norman Saunders and Donhue Gardiner and races for South Caicos, North Caicos, Grand Turk North and two seats for Provo. The PNP Primaries span all of next week.
Statement on Road Traffic Department
#TheBahamas, September 26, 2022 – As an integral agency under the Ministry of Transport and Housing, the Road Traffic Department is responsible for the collection of revenue from vehicle licensing and inspection fees.
On an annual basis, the revenue from the Road Traffic Department exceeds 60 million dollars.
This revenue is critical in supporting the programmes and initiatives of the Government of The Bahamas and covers the operating costs of the Road Traffic Department.
To ensure the integrity of revenue collected, numerous processes and procedures have been implemented. Additionally, several audits have been undertaken to ensure that employees act in accordance with the established protocols of the Department.
The Ministry is aware of allegations and discord in the public domain between two employees at the Road Traffic Department.
While it is not the policy of the Government of The Bahamas to publicly comment on internal staff matters, the Ministry takes grave exception to personal allegations against employees being made public while the allegations remain under investigation by independent parties.
Public Officers are reminded of the provisions of General Orders which disallows public statements on any matter.
The Ministry continues to foster and encourage a harmonious and respectful working environment at the Road Traffic Department and all agencies under its remit.
The Ministry remains strongly committed to strengthening the audit and compliance oversight of the Road Traffic Department and will not be deterred its efforts to safeguard the Government’s revenue stream.
September 26th, 2022
Ministry of Transport & Housing
Commonwealth of The Bahamas
NEMA Director orders activation of shelters in GB, Bimini
NASSAU, The Bahamas – Director of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Captain Stephen Russell, Wednesday, ordered the activation of shelters in Grand Bahama and Bimini as a precautionary measure against potential impacts from Tropical Storm-Force conditions associated with Hurricane Ian.
Six shelters were activated in Grand Bahama (two in Freeport, two in Eight-Mile Rock, and one each in Pinedale, Seagrape and Holmes’ Rock) and one in Bimini (Gateway in Bailey Town) at 10am. Captain Russell also announced that Floodwater Rescue Teams have been pre-positioned in West End and Alice Town as yet another precautionary measure.
The National Emergency Management Agency’s National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) remained on Partial Activation Wednesday and will remain Activated throughout the response phase. Teams from the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, The Bahamas Department of Meteorology, the Department of Social Services, and the Department of Local Government, have been in communication with Island Administrators, Local Government officials and Disaster Consultative Committees in the north-western Bahamas.
During Partial Activation, certain NEOC Team Members (known as Emergency Support Functions) are activated to monitor certain risks and/or hazards in areas that could be impacted by weather conditions associated with the passage of a storm, and as a means of communicating with/supporting disaster managers and planners and disaster consultative committees on the ground in those areas.
The NEOC is responsible for executing emergency management and ensuring the continuity of operations for the entire country.
Meanwhile, a Tropical Storm Warning remained in effect for the north-western Bahamas as at 12noon Wednesday with residents of Grand Bahama and the Biminis being advised to prepare for the possibility of sustained Tropical Storm-Force winds tonight through Thursday. Residents in the remainder of the northwest Bahamas, including Abaco, the Berry Islands, North Andros, New Providence and Eleuthera, could experience winds gusting to gale-force during this period.
(A Tropical Storm Warning means that Tropical Storm conditions could be experienced in the mentioned islands within 36 hours.)
Forecasters at The Bahamas Department of Meteorology said rainbands associated with Hurricane Ian, will continue to affect the islands of the northwest Bahamas today and Thursday. Residents in these islands are asked to exercise extreme caution as the rainbands will bring severe thunderstorms, gusty winds and possible tornadic activity.
Total rainfall amounts of 4 to 6 inches are expected with isolated amounts of up to 8 inches through Friday. As a result, severe, localized flooding is possible in low-lying and flood-prone areas.
Residents of low-lying, flood-prone areas of the north-western Bahamas, are asked to take special precautions during any heavy and/or prolonged rainfall event, and to exercise extreme caution in the event there is flooding. One such precautionary measure is to avoid driving in or through floodwater, where possible, or playing in floodwater (children) as floodwater can contain numerous hidden hazards. These include:
- Downed power lines.
- Sewage and other contaminants.
- Large Holes.
- Sharp objects that can cause injury and lead to infections.
- Objects such as lumber, vehicles, debris.
- Carcasses of dead animals, in addition to rodents and snakes.
Exposure to contaminated floodwater can result in:
If you do come into contact with floodwater, you are advised to:
- Wash the area with soap and clean water as soon as possible. If you do not have soap or water, use alcohol-based wipes or sanitizers.
- Wash clothes contaminated with floodwater or sewage water in hot water and detergent before re-using them.
If you must enter floodwater, protect yourselves by wearing rubber boots, rubber gloves and goggles. The same goes for Standing Water.
The National Emergency Management Agency reminds residents to pay close attention to the Alerts, NEWS ITEMS, Public Forecasts, Severe Weather Warnings and/or Special Weather Statements issued by The Bahamas Department of Meteorology.
Glass Window Bridge envisioned as a symbol of resilience and sustainability says Works and Utilities Minister
By KATHRYN CAMPBELL
Bahamas Information Services
#ELEUTHERA, The Bahamas, September 27, 2022 – A new bridge design that incorporates opportunities for Bahamian entrepreneurs was presented at a Town Hall Meeting Thursday, September 22, 2022 at St. Patrick’s Lodge Hall, Hatchet Bay.
During the livestreamed event the Minister of Works and Utilities, the Hon. Alfred Sears; the Hon. Clay Sweeting, Minister of Agriculture, Marine Resources and Family Island Affairs; island administrators, representatives of the Ministry of Works, Town Planning Board, the Bridge Authority, Local Government, Lambert Knowles and other consultants, and residents of Eleuthera discussed plans for the proposed replacement of the Glass Window Bridge (GWB) in North Eleuthera.
Minister Sears termed the meeting very “successful” consultation and attendance by local stakeholders and virtual participants.
He said Mr. Knowles has assembled a world-class team of bridge designers who have put together a design that will turn the GWB “into a symbol of resilience, sustainability and also a place of entertainment and relaxation where Bahamian businesses can come and share in the wonderful goods of Eleuthera to the international travelling public as well as the residents in Eleuthera.
“We’re speaking now with Caribbean Development Bank with respect to funding; the design is now completed, there is also interest in PPP’s. Within the next two months we should have a funding pathway and then of course we will move on the procurement. Once the funding is in place we will announce a date.”
“It is not only a look out point, we are approaching this project as an enterprise where the people who live in Eleuthera would have the same opportunities that the people in South would have as the Disney Project would have, but it would be more significant than Disney because this project would be owned by Bahamian people — entrepreneurs, performers and culinary artists.
“Eleuthera is one of the places in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas where development is taking place very rapidly. It is one of the most unique communities in our country; it is the fifth largest economy within the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. We have some of the wealthiest industrialists with homes in Eleuthera; we also have booming Bahamian business resorts throughout Eleuthera.”
The GWD represents a place where we “can build opportunities for Bahamian businesses, Bahamian entrepreneurs to showcase the imagination of the Bahamian crafts persons, also to showcase the culinary skills as well as the extraordinary culinary dishes of Bahamian cuisine,” he said.
Although “spectacular” Minister Sears said the current one-lane bridge is “dangerous” and unable to facilitate the transport of freight from the north to the south of the island because its carrying capacity is only 12 tonnes — anything over 12 tonnes cannot be transported over the bridge.
He noted other challenges and informed that the bridge is not fulfilling the potential that it has for the development of Eleuthera.
Using a Power Point presentation, Mr. Knowles introduced the design team, technical aspects of the built design and various options considered for the new bridge.
He said the proposed bridge will be unique; a picture opportunity and a venue to host an event. It will have a park, security, rest rooms, parking, a location for food trucks to sell crafts and food; and topography with different elevation.
During the question and answer segment, Minister Sears said a decision has not yet been made regarding a bridge toll on the major undertaking.
“It is a project which multilateral bodies and private sector investors have expressed an interest in participating in the funding. It is a project that once we have the community by-in the government is committed to building a world class production at this location.” Construction is expected to take place on the proposed bridge from 2023-2026 at an estimated cost of $50-$60 million.
The GWB was built in 1990 and provides the only vehicular link between North and South Eleuthera.
(BIS Photos/Ulric Woodside)
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Bahamas News2 days ago
AG Outlines Digital Assets Legislation at STEP LATAM Conference in Panama
Bahamas News2 days ago
News3 days ago
Open Letter to Governor Dakin
News2 days ago
TCHTA Expresses Sympathy to Bereaved Families and Grave Concern Over Recent Gun Crimes
News2 days ago
Response to Premier’s National Address 26.09.22
Bahamas News12 hours ago
NEMA Director orders activation of shelters in GB, Bimini
Africa2 days ago
Nearly 400 tested as Uganda faces deadly Ebola resurgence
News3 days ago
AMNESTY CAN ONLY HAPPEN WHEN WE CREATE PLACES OF REFUGE IN OUR COMMUNITY FOR OUR HURTING BOYS