2,000 Jamaicans To Benefit From Welfare-To-Work Programme
KINGSTON, Sept. 8 (JIS):
Measures being implemented by Government should see a reduction in the number of Jamaicans, who receive welfare support, over the next two years.
The Ministry of Labour and Social Security is introducing a $600 million welfare-to-work programme for some 2,000 beneficiaries of the Programme of Advancement Through Health and Education (PATH).
The initiative will be carried out under the Steps-To-Work programme, which targets working age members of families on PATH, providing them with training and on-the-job experience to enable them to seek and retain employment.
“Looking ahead, the Steps-to-Work Programme will support the Ministry’s graduation strategy, which will see some 1,000 PATH families (or about 2,000 individuals) participating in the phased implementation of a welfare-to-work programme,” explained Portfolio Minister, Hon. Derrick Kellier.
He was speaking recently at the official closing ceremony for the 2014 Steps-to-Work summer camp held at the Chestervale Youth Camp in Eco Village, St. Andrew.
A total of 111 at-risk youth from PATH beneficiary households island-wide, received skills and development training at this year’s camp.
The camp provided an opportunity for school dropouts to develop literacy and job skills to re-enter the school system or seek employment.
Minister Kellier said that the Steps-to-Work Programme is about graduating people from welfare to well-being.
“PATH and Steps-to-Work are important elements of the National Social Protection Strategy, and are recognition of the powerful outcome that is possible when the country invests in human capital,” Minister Kellier said.
TCI Police Detective Holden Speaks Up on Blue Hills Rapes
#TurksandCaicos, March 27, 2023 – Following the announcement that several women had been robbed and assaulted in Blue Hills in the past weeks, Magnetic Media queried why the Police would wait until they had a man in custody to release an alert.
TCI’s newest addition to the top brass Detective Superintendent Dean Holden, Head of Crime, Safeguarding and Public Protection, told us that it initially appeared to be an isolated offence and not part of a series of incidents.
“The full circumstances needed to be investigated to ascertain the facts before a public alert could be considered. Misinformation in such a case would only cause unnecessary public concern and confusion and could adversely impact the investigation and the safeguarding of persons involved—” he said. “Even now there is no definitive information that these offences are linked, and investigators remain open-minded.”
Holden claimed an early alert with limited information could have hindered the investigation and they were trying to protect the women who may not have wanted to be identified based on where they lived.
As it turns out, the public concern was very much warranted, because there have been more violent sexual attacks, and more victims got hurt, forcing their hands.
“When further similar offences were committed, the overriding principle of sustained public protection was considered, hence the alert/release issued,” he said.
That alert was coupled with the news that a man had been arrested. Whether those further similar incidents could have been prevented if the public was informed earlier and taken extra precautions, is the underlying question. To date, we don’t know how many victims there are.
Police have increased patrols in the Blue Hills area and condemned the crimes as unacceptable. They have not indicated if anyone was charged for the offences yet.
Louise Garland Thomas High School are TCISS Inter-High Track & Field 2023 Champions
#TurksandCaicos, March 27, 2023 – After a festive three days of competition, the TCISS Inter-High Track & Field Championships 2023 have concluded with the A. Louise Garland Thomas High School reigning as Champions. Featuring a great turnout, eleven schools from across the Turks and Caicos Islands met to compete at the National Stadium March 9-11, 2023.
The competition was stiff among athletes, who were all competing for top spots and by extension a spot-on Team TCI’s CARIFTA 2023 team. From high-spirited invitationals to entertainment by DJ Shakes, spectators enjoyed the best Nationals competition yet.
- 1st Place: A. Louise Garland Thomas High School
- 2nd Place: Clement Howell High School
- 3rd Place: Marjorie Basden High School
Twenty athletes have been selected for Turks and Caicos Islands National CARIFTA Team, some who would have competed in the TCISS Inter-High Track & Field Championships 2023 and some living abroad.
Here are the athletes:
- Roniesha Johnson U-17 Girls CHHS
- Branary Delancy U-17 Girls LGTHS
- Krysann Williams U-20 Girls LGTHS
- Anesha Varus U-20 Girls CHHS
- Lynn Antoine U-20 Girls Unattached
- Chyna Simmons U-20 Girls BWIC
- Rayvon Black U-17 Boys Denbigh/Jam
- Renaldo Registre U-17 Boys RGHS
- Jarmal Missick U-17 Boys HJRHS
- Melique Evans U-17 Boys CHHS
- Love Joseph U-17 Boys LGTHS
- Kaeson Garland U-17 Boys MBHS
- Shamar Garland U-17 Boys HJRHS
- Alieandio Durham U-20 Boys CHHS
- Bernard Hyde U-20 Boys CHHS
- Markey Zepherin U-20 Boys CHHS
- Rayvon Walkin U-20 Boys KC/Jam
- Anthon Walkin U-20 Boys KC/Jam
- Alidavidson Higgs U-20 Boys JC/Jam
- Darvioun Rigby U-20 Boys Keiser/USA
Soca Warriors crush Bahamas at home
By Rashaed Esson
#TheBahamas, March 27, 2023 – Trinidad and Tobago’s Soca Warriors dominated the Bahamas at home, at the Thomas Robinson Stadium in Nassau, for the 2022/2023 Concacaf Nations League on Friday, with a 3-0 victory.
The Soca Warriors struck their first blow within the first 5 minutes of the game, with Kareem Moses making the first shot in the top left corner of the net giving T&T one to the Bahamas’ zero (1-0).
Soon after, in about 26 minutes, they made another shot giving them 2-0 away from home; the scorer Joevin Jones. By the 34th minute mark, the winning goal was made by Ryan Telfer, T&T now at three.
Neither team scored any additional goals as the match progressed despite attempts made by various players.
Trinidad’s win gives them 12 points through five matches. Next match for the Soca Warriors is against Nicaragua; that clash is set for Monday March 27 (at home in Tobago at the Dwight Yorke Stadium), in a tussle of winner-take-all on the final match day. The victor takes home a promotion to League A and a spot in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
Angus Eve, T&T’s head coach expressed that the job is only half done, keeping aware that more challenges are coming their way, one of which is the nearing match against Nicaragua who is one point ahead of the Warriors.
Meanwhile, The Bahamas will journey to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines with hopes of emerging victorious there.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Caribbean News4 days ago
TCI Moving to Catch Up in Clean Energy Race, attends CDB Conference
Uncategorized5 days ago
Banks fail, causing ripple effects but what of the Turks & Caicos banking security
Uncategorized3 days ago
Uton Graham, Bars Manager at BTC masters his mix with training the next generation
Uncategorized3 days ago
BTC Celebrates International Women’s Day, Embrace Equity
Uncategorized14 hours ago
Lifting of COVID Vaccine Mandate is ‘Game Changer’ for Tourism & Real Estate says Christie’s
Uncategorized3 days ago
United States Works to Combat Gun Trafficking in the Caribbean Region
Uncategorized5 days ago
Carnival Cruises hits 100 Million Visitors
Uncategorized2 days ago
Ten Bahamian-Owned Businesses Receive Awards for Energy Efficiency; Three Receive Grants