Bahamas, March 28, 2017 – Nassau – The World Meteorological Organization has agreed to retire the storm names Matthew and Otto; after the two caused so much death and destruction in the region last year. Matthew, which grew to a Category five hurricane is blamed for 585 deaths and over $15 billion in damages; making it the deadliest storm since Stan in 2005 says the WMO.
In The Bahamas, the cost of Hurricane Matthew was put at $600 million and it is said that 95% of structures in Eight Mile Rock, Grand Bahama were damaged in some way by the fierce winds. Eighteen people were killed in Central America by November 2016’s Category three storm, Otto. Replacing Matthew will be the name Martin and Owen will go in for Otto.