Connect with us

Bahamas News

Jeffrey Arnett of Inagua considers himself a walking miracle

Published

on

#TheBahamas, February 9, 2022 – Ask Jeffrey Arnett who he is and the first thing he says is athlete. From martial arts as a child to basketball as a teen, to running and brisk walking when he could no longer run, the incredibly fit Arnett nearly had to pack it all in with debilitating deterioration until surgery at Cleveland Clinic Florida gave him his life back. At age 57, the man who only a few years ago could not even sit or lie down without pain, who could not tie his own shoelaces, now runs, does squats and feels like the full measure of who he remembered being. 

Arnett, a native of Inagua who spent 37 years at Morton Salt before retiring, was in his late 20’s when he first felt an intense pain. The sensation worsened over the next few years but remained bearable until one day, making a fast break in a basketball game, he felt a searing pain so severe it was like a sword poking him in his pelvic joint.

At first, he thought it was a muscle sprain, but the pain was so persistent that Arnett had to give up basketball, redirecting his energies to helping young children in the community, teaching martial arts and sports. Still, he could not shake the pain. Over the next years, he sought medical help at home, in the Dominican Republic and in Cuba. It was a doctor in Nassau who correctly diagnosed his problem as a severely arthritic hip joint but advised against hip replacement because of Arnett’s young age, saying he would have to undergo the surgery and recovery again in 10-15 years so suggested he hold out as long as possible.

Six years later, still with pain his constant companion, Arnett travelled to Cuba for a second opinion where he was told he had the hip of an 80-year-old man. He completed therapy in Cuba, discontinued running and took up brisk walking instead. But his condition continued to worsen. His disfigured left hip joint had caused one of his legs to become shorter than the other, leaving him with a limp.  

Years later, at age 54, resigned to the need for a hip replacement, Arnett turned to Cleveland Clinic Florida (CCF), the hospital that had saved his life four years earlier in what doctors called a miracle of timing following a harrowing trip with blood clots blocking oxygen and experiencing deep vein thrombosis, causing him to blackout. In that life-and-death scenario, where any breath could have been his last, Arnett had one stroke of good luck after another, with Bahamasair flight attendants even booking his transportation upon landing after the flight was held up for 90 frightening minutes due to a storm. When he arrived at the Weston, Florida hospital, suffering from multiple blood clots (pulmonary embolisms) that had passed through his heart and into his lungs, doctors whisked Arnett into emergency surgery. Two larger clots (deep vein thrombosis or DVT’s) were found in his pelvic artery which would have killed him had they become free. He calls it “a miracle” they caught them in time and he was still alive.

CCF performed a microscopic operation with two injections in the neck to place an inferior vena cava (IVC) filter in the main artery in his stomach to stop clot from travelling up Arnett’s leg, and ran an endovascular catheter-vibration system (echo-vibration) through the heart and to the lungs to gently break up the clots in the lungs. Doctors told Arnett few people who suffer blackout from clots ever wake up. Arnett praised God for his safe recovery.

Now, four years later in April 2021, Arnett was back at Cleveland Clinic Florida, this time for the hip replacement surgery he had put off until he could not take the pain any longer. It was so intense he could not lie down. Tying his shoe laces was impossible. Bending sent knife-like slivers through his body. Arnett’s wife, Darcia, contacted Cleveland’s in-country representative, Shenika Nesbitt, and the two worked together to arrange his appointment with CCF’s orthopedic team, including his flight, transportation and accommodation.

The hip replacement surgery was conducted by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Preetesh Patel,

“I wanted to give Mr. Arnett a frank, honest assessment of his condition which I could tell was very painful, debilitating and affecting his daily life. It was important help him understand why surgery was the only viable option at that late stage,” said Dr. Patel. A filter was placed in Arnett’s stomach to prevent potential blood clots due to his history of clotting, and on April 15, 2021 the two-hour hip replacement surgical procedure was successfully completed.

Eight months later and back home in Inagua, Arnett says “I have a new lease on life and feel like my old, active self again. I can now walk, raise my knees, squat and more with no shooting pains, like nothing ever happened.”

A 4-5 inch incision which will fade in time is the only physical evidence of the surgery.

“Everything at Cleveland Clinic in Florida was good and the doctors and staff treated me very well; they made me feel so comfortable,” Arnett said. “Had I known the process would have been so easy, I would have done it 100 times over before. My only regret is not having the surgery done sooner.”

Recently retired as a Maintenance Supervisor from Morton Salt after 37 years of service, Arnett thanks God and the team at Cleveland Clinic, Florida.  He will also be forever be indebted to his wife, Darcia, his daughters, Maya and Asia, his Mom and other close family members who shared the journey with him. He considers himself today a “walking miracle.”

 

Photo Captions: 

Header: Jeffrey Arnett, now active and fully recovered after successfully undergoing hip replacement surgery to fix crippling pain at Cleveland Clinic, the second time the clinic saved the life of the athlete who friends call the miracle man.

1st insert: The Arnett’s (standing L-R) daughters Asia and Maya; (seated L-R) Darcia Arnett (wife), Hanna (niece) and Jeffrey

2nd insert: Able to run again!  Jeffrey Arnett demonstrating his agility after successful hip replacement surgery at Cleveland Clinic, Florida.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Don Jr. Bahamas Wedding to Proceed Without President Trump

Published

on

USA, May 22, 2026 – Donald Trump Jr. is expected to marry Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson this weekend in The Bahamas, but despite speculation surrounding the high-profile ceremony, the exact location remains tightly guarded.

Multiple U.S. media outlets report the couple selected a private island in The Bahamas for what is being described as a small, intimate Memorial Day weekend wedding with roughly 50 close friends and family members in attendance. So far, no publication has publicly confirmed which Bahamian island or cay will host the ceremony, though reports consistently describe it as a secluded and heavily private setting.

The secrecy has only fueled curiosity in a country made up of more than 700 islands and cays, many of which are favored by wealthy international visitors for destination weddings and luxury retreats.

On Friday, President Donald Trump confirmed he will not attend the ceremony, citing international tensions and responsibilities at the White House.

Posting on Truth Social, Trump wrote: “While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so.”

Earlier in the week, Trump had indicated he would “try and make it,” but acknowledged the timing was “not good” because of ongoing tensions involving Iran.

Donald Trump Jr., 48, became engaged to Anderson, 39, in December 2025 at Camp David after about a year of dating. This will be his second marriage.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Over a Week Later, Bahamians Still Waiting on Full Election Numbers

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – More than a week after Bahamians voted in the country’s 2026 General Election, complete official constituency voting figures still have not been publicly released by the Parliamentary Registration Department.

While winners have been declared across the country’s expanded 41-seat Parliament, no centralized official breakdown showing constituency vote totals, turnout percentages, rejected ballots or margins of victory appears to have been published publicly.

The Progressive Liberal Party is widely reported to have secured 33 seats, while the Free National Movement won eight seats, according to tallies carried by several media houses, including the Nassau Guardian’s election tracker and other regional reports.

Still missing, however, are the underlying numbers which would allow the public to independently assess voter participation levels across the country’s 41 constituencies.

That absence is drawing increasing attention following an election already marked by concerns over long lines, advanced polling confusion, voter register complaints and questions about election administration.

Unofficial turnout estimates circulating in local media place national voter participation near 58 percent. If confirmed, that would represent the lowest voter turnout in modern Bahamian general election history.

Historically, The Bahamas has recorded strong election participation rates, with turnout often exceeding 80 percent in previous decades. But participation declined sharply in 2021, when official turnout fell to roughly 65 percent — at the time considered historically low.

Now, the Coalition of Independents says it plans to challenge aspects of the election process in Election Court and is escalating its criticism of the handling of the vote.

In a sharply worded statement issued to media, Coalition Leader Lincoln Bain announced the party will boycott the opening of Parliament, insisting the election was “flawed from start to finish.”

The Coalition claims the country cannot “celebrate ceremony while justice is ignored,” arguing that unresolved election concerns continue to hang over the legitimacy of the process.

Among the concerns raised by the COI are:

  • allegations of voter register irregularities;
  • claims that the voters register remained open after Parliament was dissolved;
  • accusations of vote buying;
  • concerns tied to the Pinewood constituency race;
  • alleged constitutional breaches involving undeclared government contracts;
  • and alleged conflicts of interest involving gaming operators serving in Cabinet.

The Coalition also referenced allegations surrounding criminal influence and drug-related claims connected to political operations, while calling for what it describes as a “serious local investigation.”

In its statement, the COI said there has been “no proper public accounting, no local investigation announced, and no Commission of Inquiry launched into these matters.”

The group is now demanding a formal Commission of Inquiry into the conduct of the election and related allegations.

Bain said the boycott of Parliament is “not a boycott of democracy” but instead “a stand in defence of democracy.”

The statement further argues that Parliament itself must be protected from “corruption, conflicts of interest, criminal influence, and electoral fraud.”

So far, election authorities have not publicly indicated when complete certified constituency voting figures will be formally released.

And that delay is becoming increasingly significant because the missing data includes the very numbers needed to understand whether Bahamians truly disengaged from the electoral process in record numbers.

If unofficial turnout estimates are accurate, it would mean voter participation in 2026 either matched or fell below the historically low 2021 election turnout — despite The Bahamas recording one of its largest voter registration totals ever, with more than 209,000 people listed to vote.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

OVER 209,000 BAHAMIANS TO DECIDE NEXT GOVERNMENT IN TUESDAY’S GENERAL ELECTION

Published

on

Polls open nationwide as rallies, controversy and endorsements close heated campaign season

 

The Bahamas, May 11, 2026 – Temperatures across The Bahamas on Tuesday, May 12 are forecast to reach a high of 87 degrees Fahrenheit, with “feels like” temperatures expected to climb even higher — but the heat is not expected to disrupt the flow of voters to polling stations which open nationwide at 8 a.m.

More than 209,000 registered voters are expected to cast ballots in the country’s 2026 General Election, which will determine who forms the next government of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Polling stations across New Providence, Grand Bahama and the Family Islands will remain open until 6 p.m., with all 41 House of Assembly seats being contested in what has become one of the country’s most energetic and closely watched election campaigns in recent years.

The governing Progressive Liberal Party and the opposition Free National Movement are fielding full slates of 41 candidates each, while the Coalition of Independents has emerged as a significant third-force movement with 40 candidates contesting seats nationwide.

Public schools throughout the country are closed Tuesday as many campuses are transformed into polling stations, while ballot boxes have already been dispatched to the Family Islands ahead of voting day.

The Parliamentary Registration Department has meanwhile reminded employers that registered voters are legally entitled to two hours off to vote in addition to their normal lunch break and has also issued guidance aimed at maintaining orderly conduct at polling locations.

The final days of campaigning transformed the country into a sea of rallies, motorcades, town halls and political events stretching from Exuma and Long Island to Abaco, Bimini, Eleuthera, Andros, Inagua and Grand Bahama.

The PLP closed its campaign with the message “Choose Progress,” arguing the Davis administration has strengthened the economy, expanded social support and advanced national development projects.

The FNM campaigned heavily on accountability, affordability and governance reform under the slogan “We Work for You,” while the Coalition of Independents sought to position itself as the country’s disruptive alternative with the declaration: “Change ain’t coming — change is here.”

The campaign season also drew international attention with former NBA player and businessman Rick Fox attracting celebrity endorsements from basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, actress Vanessa Williams and reggae icon Buju Banton through widely circulated video messages.

Adding further unpredictability to the race are at least 13 independent candidates contesting seats across the country, including former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis in New Providence’s Killarney constituency, former Cabinet Minister Frederick McAlpine in Grand Bahama’s Pineridge constituency and Leroy Major in Southern Shores on New Providence — all seeking to break through the dominance of the country’s traditional party structure.

Meanwhile, election officials faced controversy in the campaign’s final hours after confirming that fewer than 150 voters, around 1 percent of electors had been mistakenly omitted from the register but would still be allowed to vote Tuesday — a decision questioned publicly by FNM Leader Michael Pintard amid broader concerns over voter integrity and election procedures.

Despite the political tensions, election officials say preparations are complete.

By Tuesday night, Bahamians are expected to know whether the PLP secures a second consecutive term, whether the FNM returns to office, or whether independents reshape the country’s political landscape.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING