Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: PM says Government Relentless in its Crime-Fighting Efforts

Published

on

#Nassau, January 24, 2019 – Bahamas – Prime Minister, Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis said his Government will be relentless in its efforts in reducing crime for a safer and secure Bahamas.  He was addressing the contract signing ceremony between the Ministry of National Security and ShotSpotter Technology, a US -based company known for its technology in detecting gunshots being fired, almost immediately, in criminal activities.

The aim is to put a dent in criminal activities in The Bahamas involving illegal guns. The technology, which cost an estimated $1.9 million, is expected to come on stream before the end of this quarter.

“In addition to such advanced gun-detection technology, we will employ other cutting-edge and effective technological and scientific advances to make our people and our country safer and more secure,” the Prime Minister said.  

The ceremony took place at the SLS Baha Mar, Wednesday, January 23, 2019.

Also present were the Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames; Stephanie Bowers, Charge d’Affaires of the US Embassy, Nassau; members of the Royal Bahamas Police Force and the Royal Bahamas Defence Force; other Government officials and representatives from ShotSpotter Technology.

The Prime Minister deemed the contract signing as another critical initiative in the Government’s strategy to making The Bahamas safer.

“I am pleased that today we are fulfilling another promise to the Bahamian people of introducing gun detection technology to our crime- fighting arsenal,” he said.

ShotSpotter Technology is expected to come on stream before the end of this first quarter.  This project will cost $1.9 million over a three-year period.  It is anticipated that the technology may help to significantly reduce crime across the country.        

“I am very pleased that we will implement this innovative and highly-successful technology, the Prime Minister said.

This advanced technology is also expected to aid in further decreasing gun violence and homicides. ShotSpotter has the capacity to increase gun-fire awareness by 500 per cent.  The ShotSpotter Technology is known to utilize acoustic technology to identify when and where a gunshot is fired. This will lead to the more precise detection and location of incidents. 

“Along with job creation, economic growth and our opportunity agenda, the safety and the security of citizens, residents and guests, is among the highest priorities of our government,” the Prime Minister said.

The Police Force has recorded that last year the country experienced a 25 per cent decrease in homicides, the first time in nearly a decade. Plus, there was an overall decrease in crime of eight per cent.

“These decreases are the result of very hard work, better policing and leadership, and a more comprehensive strategy to reduce crime,” the Prime Minister said.

“This includes the use of advanced technology to prevent and to detect crime, and to apprehend and monitor criminals, and those who want to do harm and to commit crime.”

In this vein, he thanked the Minister of National Security, the Commissioner of Police and his leadership team, as well as the members of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, for their “unyielding efforts in combating crime and protecting Bahamians, residents and visitors.”

The Prime Minister said that while this is pleasing, there is still much work to be done to make the Bahamian people feel safer and more secure.

“We must continue to work aggressively to reduce other crimes on people and property. We can never rest on our laurels in fighting crime and protecting the Bahamian people from criminal violence.

We must do everything we can to protect Bahamians, residents and visitors,” he said.

 

By: Lindsay Thompson

Release: BIS        

Photo Captions:

Header: Prime Minister, Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis at the contract signing ceremony between the Ministry of National Security and ShotSpotter Technology, a US -based company known for its technology in detecting gunshots being fired, almost immediately, in criminal activities. The ceremony was held Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at the SLS Baha Mar on Cable Beach.  He is pictured with the Hon. Marvin Dames, Minister of National Security.  

Insert: Prime Minister, Dr. the Most Hon. Hubert Minnis addressing the contract signing ceremony between the Ministry of National Security and ShotSpotter Technology, a US -based company known for its technology in detecting gunshots being fired, almost immediately, in criminal activities. The ceremony was held at the SLS Baha Mar, Wednesday, January 23, 2019. 

 

(BIS Photo/Yontalay Bowe)

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING