Connect with us

News

Spirit Shutdown Raises New Questions for Grand Turk’s Long-Promised South Florida Link

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 2026 – The sudden collapse of Spirit Airlines has added a new layer of uncertainty to Grand Turk’s long-discussed push for direct commercial flights into the South Florida market.

Spirit Airlines announced early Saturday, May 2, that it had begun an “orderly wind-down” of operations, effective immediately, cancelling all flights and warning passengers not to go to the airport. The Dania Beach, Florida-based carrier said rising oil prices, pressure on the business and the failure to secure additional funding left it with no alternative but to shut down.

For the Turks and Caicos Islands, the shutdown lands uncomfortably close to a policy question that has lingered since late 2023: which airlines were being courted to restore direct international airlift into Grand Turk?

In December 2023, Magnetic Media reported that Premier Washington Misick told the House of Assembly that the Government was in negotiations with two South Florida airlines to secure commercial flights for the nation’s capital. The Premier said significant efforts were being made for the “reintroduction of international airlift into Grand Turk,” with a commitment to direct airlift into the South Florida market.

At the time, Government and the Turks and Caicos Islands Airports Authority were attempting to get two airlines to provide biweekly flights, Magnetic Media reported.

No airline was publicly named.

That is where Spirit’s collapse becomes locally significant. Spirit previously operated in the Turks and Caicos market, but its Fort Lauderdale to Providenciales route was never returned to the roster following the break precipitated by the Coronavirus pandemic. Islanders had hoped that Spirit, with its South Florida base, low-cost model and historic connection to the destination, may have been among the airlines Government was exploring for a Grand Turk revival.

There is still no public confirmation that Spirit was one of the two airlines in those talks. But if it was, Grand Turk has now lost one of the most obvious candidates.

Spirit’s own statement said the carrier had reached an agreement with bondholders in March 2026 on a restructuring plan that could have allowed it to continue, but that a sudden and sustained rise in fuel prices ultimately left the company unable to secure the hundreds of millions of dollars in liquidity needed to survive. Chief Executive Officer Dave Davis called the outcome “tremendously disappointing.”

The shutdown stunned the aviation industry and threw thousands of travellers and roughly 17,000 employees into crisis. ABC News reported that Spirit’s final flight landed shortly after midnight Saturday, while the airline had been scheduled to operate 277 flights that day, all of them cancelled.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said the federal government had activated airline partners to help passengers avoid being stranded, keep route access open and prevent fares from skyrocketing. United, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest agreed to cap ticket prices for affected Spirit customers, while American, Delta, Allegiant and Frontier announced reduced or frozen fares on overlapping routes.

Duffy also said passengers who bought tickets with credit cards should be able to pursue refunds or chargebacks, while other claims may have to move through bankruptcy proceedings. Spirit said credit and debit card purchases made directly with the airline would be refunded automatically.

The shutdown has reignited debate over the blocked JetBlue-Spirit merger. In 2024, the U.S. Justice Department celebrated JetBlue’s decision to abandon its $3.8 billion acquisition of Spirit, arguing the merger would have meant higher fares and fewer choices. Senator Elizabeth Warren had also warned that a JetBlue-Spirit merger would lead to “fewer flights and higher fares,” calling the blocked deal a win for flyers.

Now, critics argue the loss of Spirit may produce the very outcome regulators feared: fewer low-cost seats and rising fares, especially in leisure-heavy markets like Florida and the Caribbean.

That concern is not abstract. Spirit was still advertising low-cost flights from Fort Lauderdale to Kingston and Montego Bay in Jamaica, and to Santo Domingo, Santiago and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Its terminated and active destination lists also show Caribbean reach including The Bahamas, Aruba, Belize, Cayman and Cuba.

For Caribbean travellers, the impact was immediate: cancelled flights, refund uncertainty, frantic rebooking and emotional farewells from staff who learned abruptly that the airline was finished.

For Grand Turk, the impact is less immediate but potentially more strategic.

The capital has been promised stronger air access for years, with Government tying direct airlift to broader plans for hotel development, tourism expansion and improved visitor movement beyond Providenciales. But no confirmed South Florida carrier ever materialized publicly, and now one of the few low-cost airlines suited to that route is gone.

The question for Government and the Airports Authority is simple: who were the two airlines, where do those talks stand, and does Spirit’s shutdown narrow the path for Grand Turk’s long-promised direct flight into South Florida?

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

News

Beaches Turks & Caicos shares dining etiquette training at Provo youth summer camp  

Published

on

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks & Caicos Islands: — Beaches Turks and Caicos Resort recently collaborated with the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force and the Department of Social Services to support a youth camp hosted at the Oseta Jolly Primary School, underscoring the resort’s ongoing commitment to youth development in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The camp, which brought together security forces, government agencies and private sector entities, focused on equipping young participants with practical life skills and character-building tools. A team from Beaches Turks and Caicos’ leadership and training departments joined the programme to deliver sessions on basic table etiquette, dining mannerisms, polite demeanour and public speaking fundamentals, all designed to help the students present themselves confidently in formal and professional settings.

General Manager of Beaches Turks and Caicos, Deryk Meany, said the resort views national development as an integral part of its corporate social responsibility. “We are always happy to be supporters in the development of the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands. We continue to commit our team to help in creating the next generation of leaders who will provide support to the islands and help in its development,” Meany noted.

The initiative also received strong endorsement from the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Community Development, which has been championing holistic programmes aimed at building well-rounded young citizens. Minister Rachel Taylor highlighted the importance of collaborations like the camp in helping youth access structured guidance and mentorship. “We are happy to join in celebrating the growth and development of our youth here in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Beaches Turks and Caicos continues to be one of our primary supporters in helping to develop well rounded individuals. This commitment from this resort has grown with the vision of the youth ministry to help in their overall development,” she said.

Taylor further emphasized that the camp’s timing was especially significant, coming as youth across the islands seek positive outlets and constructive engagement. “This camp came at the most ideal time for our adolescents. With the support of our governor, the security forces, the social services along with Beaches Turks and Caicos, we are confident that the training needed for them to improve is on the right track,” she added.

Beaches Turks and Caicos Public Relations Manager, Orville Morgan, described the collaboration as an exemplary model of cross-sector partnership. “To be able to join with the security forces to provide support for the youth of the Turks and Caicos Islands is exceptional. We are happy to provide the necessary support to equip them to grow into being productive citizens of these islands,” Morgan said.

He noted that the resort team focused on practical etiquette and hospitality-driven skills that can be carried into the youths’ future experiences. “As a team, we were able to share in the basic table setting and dining etiquette for them, skills we are sure that they will be able to use in their next fine dining experience,” Morgan added.

Organizers expressed optimism that the camp’s blend of discipline, mentorship and soft skills training will have a lasting impact on participants. With stakeholders pledging continued support, the Beaches Turks and Caicos team and their partners aim to expand similar initiatives, further investing in the personal and professional growth of the next generation of Turks and Caicos Islanders.

Continue Reading

News

ELECTRICITY BILL SHOCKER: PELICAN ENERGY WARNED GOV’T

Published

on

TCIG knew from April that fuel factor could surge almost 80%; Minister says $500 cost-of-living payment was part of Government’s response

PROVIDENCIALES — The Turks and Caicos Government knew months before July’s shocking electricity bills that consumers faced a potentially massive increase in the fuel factor.

Minister of Information Technology and Energy E. Jay Saunders revealed Friday that Pelican Energy warned his Ministry in April that generation fuel costs were projected to rise from $3.09 per gallon in May to $4.79 in June and July.

That translated into a projected fuel factor jump from about 17.5 cents to 31 cents per kilowatt-hour — an increase of almost 80%.

Saunders said he personally advised Cabinet of the projected increase and presented options for cushioning the impact.

He characterised Government’s $500 cost-of-living payment as its “initial response” to rising fuel costs, before a separate fuel-factor subsidy was approved.

Cabinet records show Government agreed on June 24 to provide funding to mitigate the fuel-factor impact, with the relief programme approved July 8.

Eligible residential customers — those averaging less than $1,500 monthly over the previous three bills — are capped at 22 cents per kWh from July through October.

Pelican confirmed Friday that Government’s contribution was already applied to July bills, meaning the bills now triggering widespread public outrage would have been even higher without the subsidy.

Saunders did not disclose the programme’s total cost.

His admission that Government knew since April, however, raises another question amid the backlash: why were consumers not directly warned by Government about the scale of the approaching increase?

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING