Connect with us

News

PDM All Island Men: Return of Raids, New Roads, Traffic Lights and Bigger budget for Scholarships & Grants for Youth

Published

on

Deandrea Hamilton

Editor

 

Turks and Caicos, January 26, 2024 – When men of the People’s Democratic Movement sat down to speak to the party’s national chairman in a live streamed show on January 20, there were several solutions put forth, with the early part of the two hour production focused on illegal migration, traffic congestion, development of the education system and allotting millions more for youth development through scholarships and grants.

Ezra Taylor, PDM National Chairman led the discussion which featured:  Edwin Astwood, PDM Party Leader and incumbent for ED2; Robert Been, PDM Deputy Party Leader and All Island Candidate; Sean Astwood, All Island Candidate; Dwayne Taylor, All Islands Candidate; Ralph Higgs, All Island Candidate; Temard Butterfield, All Island Candidate and Alvin Garland, All Island Candidate.

ILLEGAL MIGRATION

“Our borders are weak, our resources are overwhelmed and we are stretched thin.”

Alvin Garland, who served as a PDM appointed member to the House of Assembly is now running at large.  He believes a modernised system will improve detection.

“This is a very serious topic for the Turks and Caicos Islands, and we have seen illegal sloops continue to frequent our borders without being able to be detected.  Illegal migration is not just an immigration issue, it is a national security issue, it is an economic issue and it is a community issue.”

The PDM wants “a biometric system, whereby we can detect or have a record of every individual that comes into the Turks and Caicos Islands.  We will also be introducing what we will  need to stop the illegal trafficking.”

A former immigration minister, Sean Astwood, who will run for one of nine at large or all island seats had some insightful comments.

“We’re taking a serious approach.  We’re no longer waiting on the British Government to protect our borders for us, while we will continue to liaise with them and get assistance from them, the Turks and Caicos Islands for the first time is going to be taking a progressive approach where we own the situation and we put the resources behind it.”

Astwood said the posture of the PDM will move away from dependency to autonomy on the issue, with resources firmly committed.

“It is time we as a country, we say we want to be a nation, we want to determine where we go as a country, it’s time that we take responsibility and protect our borders.  We will spare no expense.  We are going to be putting in a full marine base, like we say, with the new technology, we want to increase the radar coverage, we’re going to make sure everyone in this country, we know who they are through fingerprinting.”

Mass raids are also coming with the help of a dedicated team of officers.  Under the PDM, there will be a return of SPICE or a squad with that function.

“We are gonna conduct mass raids. We are gonna make sure that we comb this country, that everybody who is here, is supposed to be here and is here legally,” said Sean Astwood.

While Mr. Garland pointed to areas like construction sites, where unskilled illegal migrants are benefitting from the jobs created due to the current boom in the industry, he was tasked with talking about the action the PDM plans to take about jobs being doled out “illegally” in the corporate space.

“We will reform the current policy to better the interest of our people.  When you are renewing a work permit, particularly for skilled workers in the corporate sector or applying for a new work permit, you will first have to submit it to the Labour department six weeks prior, that will give the Labour Department some time to identify a qualified applicant.”

The PDM plans to phase out the policy which only required proof that the position had been advertised.

Garland, who is an attorney, said Islanders no longer have faith in the current process and therefore no longer apply for the advertised jobs, suspecting that the position has already been assigned to someone else who is often an expat worker.

Ralph Higgs, another former member of parliament and former tourism minister for the Turks and Caicos Islands, also wants to introduce the technology which will flag individuals who overstay in the islands.

TRAFFIC CONGESTION

Alternative roads, traffic lights and traffic cops all factor into the PDM’s plan to end the gridlock motorists face in their morning and afternoon commutes on the main island of Providenciales.

Sean Astwood is an all-island candidate in the upcoming General Elections and he said the party will also focus on public transportation.

“We are going to tackle the illegal jitney problem.  To make sure we put in place public transportation where our citizens are going to be carried back and forth – from home to work, school – through safe transportation methods that will decrease the amount of vehicles on the street and help to reduce traffic congestion.”

The PDM’s men participating in the fireside chat expressed deep concern about the danger of the illegal jitney system, with reports of sexual assaults escalating last year which resulted in the launch of two safety campaigns aimed at ensuring residents of and guests to the islands avoid the use of the unlicensed cars.

“We will tackle this seriously, it will not only create businesses for our people but we have already looked at alternative roads especially out of Blue Hills and Wheeland that can get straight down town, straight to the airport,” said Edwin Astwood, the party’s leader and ED 2 incumbent.

The plans, he said, also extend to the eastern end of Providenciales.

EDUCATION & YOUTH

When it comes to Education, the PDM wants to assess the current systems.

“First of all we need to review our curricula, to ensure that we are meeting the national needs of our countries dn providing our students with the best education there is.  We want to prepare them to be national leaders in our country and in doing so, we want to ensure that we add elements of financial literacy and other skills based training that will promote them and propel them into being model citizens in our country,” said Temard Butterfield, All Island Candidate.

Butterfield, an educator himself, pointed to qualified certifications at a Technical and Vocational school,  and reminded that “special needs is at the core and the heart of our manifesto and our agenda”.

Sports is important to the PDM Agenda, offered Mr. Butterfield, with a focus on upgrading and expanding sporting facilities.  Scholarships was another area the PDM believes needs attention.

“Expand scholarship opportunities.  We cannot forget that. If you have a dream, if our Turks and Caicos Islands Community College is not offering it – and yes we want to ensure that we upgrade our college so that we can have our first Turks and Caicos Islands National University – but we want to ensure that we provide our young men and our young women with all the opportunities to qualify themselves and to be model citizens of this country.”

Youth development is also central to the PDM, explained Robert Been, an all-island contender and the PDM’s Deputy Party Leader.

“We intend to initiate a youth development fund geared toward those young entrepreneurs that want to get that exposure to get those business start ups off the ground.  For Youths that want to invest in careers that’s outside the curriculum.  So that fund will be a different fund from the current scholarship fund…” said Been.

Piggy-backing on his deputy’s comments about the increase in scholarship funding to $12 million, Edwin Astwood agreed there is a need to double the allotment.

“That is four times the current level.  Within that $12 million, as the deputy pointed out for those of you who do not want to follow the scholar’s way, you want to leave high school and go straight into a business, so you can get a grant right out of high school.”

The grant will support training for those school leavers for the best possible outcomes, said the leader.

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

News

BermudAir Launches New York Area’s First Nonstop Service to South Caicos, Now Just a 3.5 Hour Flight from Newark

Published

on

Twice-Weekly Nonstop Flights Begin December 20 with Fares from $347 One Way, Creating Direct Access to Salterra Resort & Spa

– New Route Expands BermudAir’s Winter Turks & Caicos Network –

 

[New York, NY – August 20, 2026]BermudAir, the leading premium leisure carrier to Bermuda and the Caribbean, today announced it will introduce nonstop flights to South Caicos from Newark this winter.  The route places one of the Caribbean’s most secluded island destinations just 3.5 hours from the New York area for the first time.

The new service starts on December 20, 2026, operating on Sundays and Thursdays, and will be the only nonstop service to the destination from the New York area.  This seasonal service will operate through April 25, 2027.  Fares start at $347 one way ($773 roundtrip) and go on sale today.

The new South Caicos route creates gives travelers two distinct luxury resort options, with direct access to Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, recently named the No. 1 resort in Turks and Caicos by Condé Nast Traveler.

Set across 85 beachfront acres with a 3,000-foot private white-sand beach, Salterra brings a full luxury resort experience to an island still defined by its historic salinas, pristine waters, bonefishing flats and uninhabited cays. Upon landing at South Caicos International Airport (XSC), guests are approximately 10 minutes from the resort.

While flights go on sale today, the airline’s BermudAir Holidays vacation-packaging division will offer curated travel to South Caicos from next month, featuring flights, hotels and authentic island experiences, with bundled discounts and value-added perks, making it even easier to explore the destination.

Previously BermudAir announced seven new routes to Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, from Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Baltimore-Washington (BWI), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), St Petersburg/Tampa (PIE) and Toronto (YYZ) which will all start in December except for Fort Lauderdale which begins October 26.

Expanded Winter Season

  • To South Caicos:
  • Twice-weekly nonstop from Newark (Sundays and Thursdays) from December 20 through April 25, 2027.
  • To Turks and Caicos:
  • Weekly nonstop from Newark (Saturdays) and one weekly direct service (Thursdays) from December 19 through April 29, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Boston (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027;
  • Weekly nonstop service from Baltimore-Washington (Thursdays), from December 24 through April 29, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from Raleigh-Durham (Thursdays and Sundays), from December 20 through May 2, 2027;
  • Thrice-weekly service from Fort Lauderdale (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from October 26 through May 3, 2027;
  • Twice-weekly nonstop service from St Petersburg/Tampa (Mondays and Thursdays), from December 21 through May 3, 2027; and
  • Weekly nonstop service from Toronto (Saturdays), from December 19 through May 1, 2027.

“We’re thrilled to continue expanding our Caribbean network as the premium leisure carrier from North America,” said Adam Scott, Founder and CEO of BermudAir. “Now New Yorkers can fly nonstop to two distinct sides of the Turks and Caicos Islands — Providenciales and the secluded island of South Caicos, home to the exquisite Salterra and Sailrock South Caicos resorts.”

The airline consistently earns Net Promoter Scores of 70+, one of the highest ratings in the airline industry.  All flights will be operated on comfortable Embraer E190 aircraft, offering passengers the airline’s signature warm service and authentic island hospitality.

“South Caicos has always felt worlds away, and that is part of its magic,” said Michael Tibbetts, Founder and CEO of Salterra. “Beginning this winter, guests can fly nonstop from Newark in 3.5 hours, land at one of the newest international airports in the region and be at Salterra minutes later. This route makes a long weekend escape and an extended stay to one of the Caribbean’s most unspoiled islands remarkably easy, without changing the sense of discovery that makes South Caicos so special.”

For more information or to book flights, visit www.flybermudair.com. Salterra will offer dedicated stay packages timed to BermudAir’s Thursday and Sunday nonstop service. To book a stay at Salterra, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, visit www.salterra.com

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING