Connect with us

Caribbean News

GROUND BROKEN FOR US$77M RIO COBRE WATER TREATMENT PLANT PROJECT

Published

on

KINGSTON, March 14 (JIS):

Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, on Thursday (March 14), broke ground for the Rio Cobre Water Treatment Plant in Content, St. Catherine.

 

The project is valued at US$77 million or J$12 billion.

 

The plant, to be built at a cost of US$77 million (J$12 billion), is expected to be the second largest in Jamaica.

 

It will be able to transfer 15 million gallons of water to benefit approximately 150,000 customers or approximately 600,000 residents in Kingston and St. Andrew, Spanish Town and Portmore.

 

Construction is slated to be completed in two years and will be managed through a public-private partnership (PPP) agreement between the National Water Commission (NWC) and Rio Cobre Water Limited.

 

In his remarks, Prime Minister Holness said the scope of the works will entail the construction of an intake system, inclusive of lift and backup pumps; the construction of a conveyance pipeline from the river to the treatment plant site; the construction of a 15-million-gallon capacity treatment plant and interconnections to the NWC’s distribution network. 

 

“When the project is complete, we can expect improved water supply and reliability for St. Catherine and the Kingston and St. Andrew (KSA) areas, better resilience in the water sector during periods of drought and improved water supply to facilitate our continued development in the business and residential sectors,” he added.

 

The Prime Minister noted that during the worst period of the drought last year, the supply shortfall for the Kingston Metropolitan Area (KMA) was 12.5 million gallons daily, adding that when the additional 15 million gallons per day comes on stream from the project, that supply will be totally covered, plus a surplus. 

 

(more)

 

Ground Broken…2

 

“But with worsening climate change, we have to continue to build even more capacity to ensure that we have enough buffers,” Mr. Holness said.

 

 At the project’s completion, there will be a 23-year period of the plant’s operation by the private partners, after which ownership of the facility will be transferred to the NWC. 

 

The PPP arrangement may also be renewed for an additional five years after the expiration of the initial 23 years.

 

Prime Minister Holness further stated that the treatment plant will reduce the need for the trucking of water and lessen, if not eliminate, the need for water restrictions to affected areas during periods of drought. 

 

“This is a win for the NWC, its customers and for all Jamaica,” he emphasised.

 

Mr. Holness also informed that the Forest Hills Distribution Network upgrade will be undertaken in parallel with the Rio Cobre Water Treatment Plant to ensure benefits to the people of West Rural St. Andrew, including Red Hills to Cooper’s Hill, which have faced chronic water issues.

 

He also mentioned the Marescaux Road Wells rehabilitation project, which will be commissioned shortly.

 

“This combination of project investments will ensure that we will be well on our way to achieving water resilience in the Kingston and St. Andrew Metropolitan Area, Portmore and St. Catherine, prior to 2030. This will also diversify our resources and reduce reliance on the Hermitage dam and the Mona Reservoir,” Prime Minister Holness said.

 

For his part, Minister Without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Senator the Hon. Matthew Samuda, said the project was long in coming.

Ground Broken…3

“If we acknowledge and feel the heat in March, not yet summer, it is representative of the fact that our climate is changing and our weather patterns are shifting, and it speaks to the absolute critical nature of this project,” Mr. Samuda said.

 

He noted that from October 2022 to March 2023, Jamaica experienced its worst drought ever, adding that in the height of that, the KSA received eight per cent of its 30-year average rainfall.

 

“So, it speaks to the fact that this project is indeed absolutely critical. During that drought, Kingston and St. Andrew was short 12½ million gallons daily. This project will add 15 million gallons to the system to assist in distributing water for Portmore and KSA,” Mr. Samuda said.

 

Meanwhile, Country Manager of Vinci Construction Grands Projects and Director of Rio Cobre Water Limited, Timothée Delebarre, said the nature of the project demonstrates a collaboration between public and private sector.

 

 

“We believe that this project should be a cornerstone of an economic model in Jamaica, whereby the Government and the private sector… work hand in hand in developing the country’s infrastructure,” Mr. Delebarre stated.

 

For his part, NWC Chairman, Michael Shaw, said the Rio Cobre Water Treatment Plant forms a critical part of the Commission’s strategic plan, which is to improve and maintain the water supply to the greater Spanish Town area, Portmore and the Corporate Area.

 

“When completed and delivering water to the NWC’s network, it will contribute significantly to NWC achieving three of the four strategic objectives. They are improving coverage, revenue and cashflow, increasing operational efficiencies and improving customer service,” Mr. Shaw stated. 

 

Member of Parliament for St. Catherine North Central, Natalie Neita Garvey, and NWC Vice President, Glaister Cunningham, also spoke during the ceremony.

 

CONTACT: LATONYA LINTON

Caribbean News

Browne Wins Fourth Term in Antigua & Barbuda Landslide

Published

on

Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.

Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.

The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.

The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.

Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.

The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.

Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.

The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF STEWART TOURISM EMPIRE PLAYS OUT IN COURTS

Published

on

May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute.  It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.

At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.

The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.

In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.

One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.

For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.

But the matter is far from settled.

Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.

The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.

Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.

Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.

For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge.  He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.

Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Sandals and Beaches Women Master the Art of Hospitality Leadership  

Published

on

Montego Bay, Jamaica, April 22, 2026 — At Sandals and Beaches Resorts, leadership excellence is par for the course. This is increasingly evident as the Sandals Corporate University (SCU) continues to provide team members with extraordinary opportunities for higher education, growth and professional development.

Facilitated through the SCU, the programmes offered executive team members the opportunity to pursue advanced studies with Les Roches, an internationally recognised Swiss hospitality university accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Renowned for its comprehensive hospitality curriculum, Les Roches was also recently ranked #2 in the world in Hospitality & Leisure Management by the QS World University Rankings 2026.

The graduating group included EMBA recipients: Heather Effs, regional manager, entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucian and Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional manager, entertainment in the Eastern Caribbean. Also graduating was Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper who completed the EMIHM programme.

While studying for their degrees, the EMBA students were able to enhance their experience through immersive classroom learning, travelling to the Les Roches campuses in Switzerland and Dubai to participate in the institution’s Residential Weeks. Both weeks, which took place at the start and toward the end of the course, provided the leaders with opportunities for in depth academic exposure, training and collaboration with fellow students from around the world.

Reflecting on their experiences and their decisions to pursue higher education through the SCU, each graduate expressed long standing aspirations to further their education and earn their master’s degrees and extended gratitude to the SCU for making those dreams a reality.

John, who graduated with distinction, shared that it was a proud and emotional moment when she crossed the stage to collect her certificate. She recalled that while the programme was demanding, the opportunity to deepen her knowledge of the hospitality industry on a global level made the journey a rewarding one.

“Education has always been intrinsic to who I am. I believe we must continuously learn so we can grow in this industry where we serve and lead others. This programme allowed me to sharpen my tools as a leader while gaining a broader global perspective on hospitality and tourism. Collaborating with professionals from different countries and cultures was an incredible experience and it challenged me to think differently about the future of our industry,” she remarked.

“My journey continues as I will keep sharing what I have learned to strengthen our teams and our brand every single day.”

For Giddings, the opportunity to network, study with her colleagues and lean into the vastness of hospitality was all the motivation she needed to embark on her Les Roches journey.

“I thought to myself, this was my chance to learn, expand and grow with two women I highly admire and respect.”

She noted that the coursework itself was not without its challenges, but she recognised the value in pushing forward to earn her degree which would inevitably allow her to take the next step in her career.

“It is an investment in yourself. I feel a profound sense of achievement and confidence and I feel prepared and excited about the opportunities that lie ahead,” she added.

Smith-Cooper shared that the EMIHM programme was the perfect opportunity to discover what she was capable of. However, between  designing dream destination weddings for couples and navigating parenthood and life in general, she admitted that the undertaking was no small feat.

“One of my biggest challenges was balancing school with my everyday responsibilities at work, at home and in my personal life but this experience showed me that my capacity could grow.”

Despite the demands, she credits determination, self-belief and the encouragement of a strong support system for helping her see the journey through.

“Today, I feel proud, relieved, accomplished and more confident. This programme has helped to build my skills and prepare me for new responsibilities and future opportunities.”

Effs, who also earned her EMBA with distinction, regarded the experience as a transformative step in her professional journey.

“Pursuing this programme was truly a leap of faith for me. The coursework challenged me intellectually and professionally, but each module stretched me in the best way. I was constantly learning, applying and evolving.”

The regional entertainment manager also encouraged other team members to take advantage of the opportunities available through SCU.

“To anyone considering taking the next step through SCU, my advice is simple: take the leap of faith. Trust yourself. Tap into your superpowers. Growth begins the moment you step outside of your comfort zone. The journey may challenge you, but it will also transform you,” Effs added.

Speaking on the partnership with Les Roches, Senior Corporate Director of the SCU, Dr. Luz Longsworth expressed her appreciation for the calibre of hospitality training offered by the institution.

“Les Roches’ commitment to working with the Caribbean really impressed us and we were excited to take a team to Marbella to visit their campus and explore the possibilities for collaboration. The quality of the programme strengthens the capacity of our leaders to navigate the complex and ever evolving world of hospitality and it is highly relevant to the needs of our region,” she shared.

The Sandals Corporate University remains committed to empowering team members through world class training and educational opportunities. By investing in leadership development and professional advancement, SCU continues to equip its people with the tools needed to grow while helping to shape the next generation of hospitality leaders across the Caribbean.

Captions:

Header: SCU Grads 1: Regional Manager, Entertainment – Sandals Resorts, Jamaica, Heather Effs can’t help but strike a playful pose after crossing the Les Roches stage to collect her degree; and SCU Grads 2: Della John, general manager at Sandals Grande St. Lucia is snapped on stage with the Les Roches team at the graduation ceremony held in Switzerland.

1st insert: Senior Wedding Manager at Sandals Royal Bahamian, Samaria Smith-Cooper takes a quick selfie moment post-graduation.

2nd Insert: Melissa Stacy Giddings, regional entertainment manager for the Eastern Caribbean is all joy after completing the postgraduate programme.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING