Connect with us

News

TCI Records First Quarter of Negative Growth Throne Speech reveals

Published

on

By Deandrea Hamilton

Editor

 

#TurksandCaicos, September 15, 2023 – The Turks and Caicos Islands economic hot streak is cooling; within the Throne Speech of September 14 it was explained that the Washington Misick Administration is monitoring the global economy for any trends which may offset the TCI’s fiscal buoyancy after recording negative growth in the first fiscal quarter of 2023-2024.

“My government will continue to watch the world economy and adjust as we see fit to ensure that our people are protected and have a chance for the best outcomes. The global economic contraction is cause for concern. For the first quarter, the TCI revenues were $109.8 million. That is $3.7 million or 3% below estimates.”

The decrease in government income follows two consecutive periods of banner performances in tourism and real estate.

In delivering the message penned by Hon C. Washington, Misick, the Premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Throne Speech, the governor, on his behalf said: “Mr Speaker! The 2022/23 Financial Year was challenging for my government and the people of these islands, but through the mercies of God, we finished the year with much to celebrate and much to be thankful for.

Mr. Speaker! While the TCI’s economic prospects are tied to the rest of the world, this little country is doing far better than many larger economies.

The economy has recovered fully from the downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and over the last two and a half years has seen consistent growth,” said H.E. Daleeni Daniel-Selveratnam, Governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

The IMF has warned that the global economy is poised to slow.  Already, Canada is reporting that it has had a first quarter of negative growth.  Now, the Turks and Caicos is revealing the same.

“As we enter this legislative year, we must be mindful that as a tourist-dependent economy, we will remain vulnerable to global economic conditions.

That is why my government is striving to build an economy that has a strong foundation, is sustainable, diversified and above all gives every islander and resident an equal opportunity to create the best life for their families.”

The government explained in that parliamentary speech that while there have been pioneering strides in devising savings’ plans, managing debt, decreasing unemployment and raising salaries, according to the Speech, the Turks and Caicos is not absolved from external shocks.

“The Russia-Ukraine war continues to have a negative impact on us.  Over the last year, we have seen the cost of fuel and food increase significantly.

My government is mindful of the hardships that many families are facing. As we have done over the last two and a half years, we will continue to find ways to ease the burdens.”

Governor Daniel-Selveratnam, on behalf of the PNP Administration shared that spending will not be paused on previously touted Government initiatives.  In fact, it was announced that crowd Funds and Programs are advancing.

“The National Wealth Fund stands at $50.8 million. This is a testament to our journey toward posterity. It is a testament to an economy built to withstand external shocks and has the ability to bounce back quickly after a catastrophic event or natural disaster. The fund is valued at about 4% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). It is distributed in four specific ways:

  • The Stabilisation Fund has the lion’s share with $30.7million
  • The Infrastructure and Competitiveness Fund has $8.8 million
  • The Heritage Fund has $4.3 million and
  • Citizen’s Empowerment Fund $7 million. The first project of the Citizen’s Empowerment Fund is the creation of the National Credit Union to benefit all status holders and British Overseas Territories Citizens (BOTCs) who live in the TCI. I am happy to report that this is well underway.”

The Speech reflected on raised salaries for the Public Sector, establishment of an e-system to support a government worker pension fund and $1 Million invested in a reverse osmosis system for the once beleaguered facility in Grand Turk.

However, in addition to earnings being down for the first quarter, government spending dropped significantly.

“Total Expenditure was $20.9 million below estimates.  These results are for the 1st quarter only and could change.”

The Turks and Caicos is courting investments and in the Throne Speech, the nation learned of infrastructural projects which have the potential to boost earnings for the country, however, at no point in the presentation was the topic of economic diversification broached; no mention of new earnings streams and no mention of the current number two and three industries: Financial Services and Agriculture adn Fisheries.

The absence of potential remedies to the heavy reliance of Turks and Caicos on Tourism, raises questions about how the government plans to broaden the recurrent revenue stream or weather a possible global recession.

The Throne Speech was delivered to a packed galley on Thursday September 15, 2023 at the House of Assembly in Grand Turk.  It was the first Throne Speech for Her Excellency Daleeni Daniel-Selveratnam as the newest governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Bahamas News

Don Jr. Bahamas Wedding to Proceed Without President Trump

Published

on

USA, May 22, 2026 – Donald Trump Jr. is expected to marry Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson this weekend in The Bahamas, but despite speculation surrounding the high-profile ceremony, the exact location remains tightly guarded.

Multiple U.S. media outlets report the couple selected a private island in The Bahamas for what is being described as a small, intimate Memorial Day weekend wedding with roughly 50 close friends and family members in attendance. So far, no publication has publicly confirmed which Bahamian island or cay will host the ceremony, though reports consistently describe it as a secluded and heavily private setting.

The secrecy has only fueled curiosity in a country made up of more than 700 islands and cays, many of which are favored by wealthy international visitors for destination weddings and luxury retreats.

On Friday, President Donald Trump confirmed he will not attend the ceremony, citing international tensions and responsibilities at the White House.

Posting on Truth Social, Trump wrote: “While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so.”

Earlier in the week, Trump had indicated he would “try and make it,” but acknowledged the timing was “not good” because of ongoing tensions involving Iran.

Donald Trump Jr., 48, became engaged to Anderson, 39, in December 2025 at Camp David after about a year of dating. This will be his second marriage.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Over a Week Later, Bahamians Still Waiting on Full Election Numbers

Published

on

The Bahamas, May 22, 2026 – More than a week after Bahamians voted in the country’s 2026 General Election, complete official constituency voting figures still have not been publicly released by the Parliamentary Registration Department.

While winners have been declared across the country’s expanded 41-seat Parliament, no centralized official breakdown showing constituency vote totals, turnout percentages, rejected ballots or margins of victory appears to have been published publicly.

The Progressive Liberal Party is widely reported to have secured 33 seats, while the Free National Movement won eight seats, according to tallies carried by several media houses, including the Nassau Guardian’s election tracker and other regional reports.

Still missing, however, are the underlying numbers which would allow the public to independently assess voter participation levels across the country’s 41 constituencies.

That absence is drawing increasing attention following an election already marked by concerns over long lines, advanced polling confusion, voter register complaints and questions about election administration.

Unofficial turnout estimates circulating in local media place national voter participation near 58 percent. If confirmed, that would represent the lowest voter turnout in modern Bahamian general election history.

Historically, The Bahamas has recorded strong election participation rates, with turnout often exceeding 80 percent in previous decades. But participation declined sharply in 2021, when official turnout fell to roughly 65 percent — at the time considered historically low.

Now, the Coalition of Independents says it plans to challenge aspects of the election process in Election Court and is escalating its criticism of the handling of the vote.

In a sharply worded statement issued to media, Coalition Leader Lincoln Bain announced the party will boycott the opening of Parliament, insisting the election was “flawed from start to finish.”

The Coalition claims the country cannot “celebrate ceremony while justice is ignored,” arguing that unresolved election concerns continue to hang over the legitimacy of the process.

Among the concerns raised by the COI are:

  • allegations of voter register irregularities;
  • claims that the voters register remained open after Parliament was dissolved;
  • accusations of vote buying;
  • concerns tied to the Pinewood constituency race;
  • alleged constitutional breaches involving undeclared government contracts;
  • and alleged conflicts of interest involving gaming operators serving in Cabinet.

The Coalition also referenced allegations surrounding criminal influence and drug-related claims connected to political operations, while calling for what it describes as a “serious local investigation.”

In its statement, the COI said there has been “no proper public accounting, no local investigation announced, and no Commission of Inquiry launched into these matters.”

The group is now demanding a formal Commission of Inquiry into the conduct of the election and related allegations.

Bain said the boycott of Parliament is “not a boycott of democracy” but instead “a stand in defence of democracy.”

The statement further argues that Parliament itself must be protected from “corruption, conflicts of interest, criminal influence, and electoral fraud.”

So far, election authorities have not publicly indicated when complete certified constituency voting figures will be formally released.

And that delay is becoming increasingly significant because the missing data includes the very numbers needed to understand whether Bahamians truly disengaged from the electoral process in record numbers.

If unofficial turnout estimates are accurate, it would mean voter participation in 2026 either matched or fell below the historically low 2021 election turnout — despite The Bahamas recording one of its largest voter registration totals ever, with more than 209,000 people listed to vote.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

Health

Grand Turk Residents Fear Norovirus-Linked Cruise as Health Ministry Approves Docking

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, May 22, 2026 – Residents in Grand Turk raised concerns last week after a cruise ship previously linked to a major norovirus outbreak was cleared to dock in the Turks and Caicos Islands days after passengers were reportedly denied disembarkation in The Bahamas over health fears.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the outbreak sickened 115 people — including 102 passengers and 13 crew members — during a voyage which ran from April 28 to May 11. The illnesses involved symptoms commonly associated with norovirus, including vomiting and diarrhea.

The outbreak became public on May 7 and quickly triggered concern across the region.

Authorities in Nassau reportedly refused to allow passengers off the vessel because of public health concerns connected to the outbreak.

That decision later fueled anxiety among some Turks and Caicos residents when the ship proceeded to Grand Turk on May 15.

Residents’ concerns were not without cause.

Norovirus is a highly contagious viral illness often associated with cruise ships, hotels, schools and other environments where large groups of people share close quarters. The virus primarily causes sudden vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and nausea, and spreads rapidly through contaminated food, water, surfaces and person-to-person contact.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most healthy people recover within one to three days, but norovirus can become serious — and occasionally fatal — for elderly individuals, young children and people with weakened immune systems because of severe dehydration. While the overall fatality rate is considered very low, the CDC estimates norovirus contributes to hundreds of deaths annually in the United States, mainly among vulnerable populations.

The Turks and Caicos Ministry of Health and Human Services had said in a press statement on May 15, it believed the risks had been effectively neutralized before the vessel arrived in Grand Turk.

In a statement issued Thursday, the Ministry said the ship had already returned to Florida, where passengers disembarked and “comprehensive sanitization and deep-cleaning procedures were completed” before operations resumed.

The Ministry also stressed that its Public Health Team maintained “close and continuous communication” with the ship’s medical personnel, Carnival Cruise Line officials and stakeholders at the Grand Turk Cruise Centre before approving the docking.

Routine inspections and standard port health procedures were also carried out, according to officials.

The Ministry further reassured the public that there were “currently no public health concerns” associated with the vessel’s arrival.

Still, the situation once again highlighted the delicate balancing act Caribbean nations face between protecting public health and sustaining tourism economies heavily dependent on cruise arrivals.

Officials are now encouraging vendors, taxi operators, tour companies and businesses to continue practicing strong sanitation and hygiene measures as an added precaution.

Residents were also reminded that frequent handwashing remains one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of norovirus and other infectious illnesses.

Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING