Connect with us

Crime

TCI Police Detective Holden Speaks Up on Blue Hills Rapes

Published

on

Dana Malcolm  

Staff Writer  

 

 

#TurksandCaicos, March 27, 2023 – Following the announcement that several women had been robbed and assaulted in Blue Hills in the past weeks, Magnetic Media queried why the Police would wait until they had a man in custody to release an alert. 

TCI’s newest addition to the top brass Detective Superintendent Dean Holden, Head of Crime, Safeguarding and Public Protection, told us that it initially appeared to be an isolated offence and not part of a series of incidents. 

“The full circumstances needed to be investigated to ascertain the facts before a public alert could be considered. Misinformation in such a case would only cause unnecessary public concern and confusion and could adversely impact the investigation and the safeguarding of persons involved—” he said. “Even now there is no definitive information that these offences are linked, and investigators remain open-minded.”  

Holden claimed an early alert with limited information could have hindered the investigation and they were trying to protect the women who may not have wanted to be identified based on where they lived.  

As it turns out, the public concern was very much warranted, because there have been more violent sexual attacks, and more victims got hurt, forcing their hands.  

“When further similar offences were committed, the overriding principle of sustained public protection was considered, hence the alert/release issued,” he said. 

That alert was coupled with the news that a man had been arrested. Whether those further similar incidents could have been prevented if the public was informed earlier and taken extra precautions, is the underlying question. To date, we don’t know how many victims there are. 

Police have increased patrols in the Blue Hills area and condemned the crimes as unacceptable. They have not indicated if anyone was charged for the offences yet.  

Crime

Police shooting leaves 14-year-old boy dead; Father speaks out

Published

on

Wilkie Arthur

Freelance Court Correspondent

 

#TurksandCaicos, May 21, 2024 – The grieving father and community members in Dock Yard, long before official confirmation, informed Magnetic Media that the individual shot and killed by the police in Snake Hill, off Millennium Highway, Blue Hills, Providenciales, was “ToTo,” officially known as 14-year-old ANTORENS DORCELY.

Permission was granted by the father to disclose the child’s name as he is deceased.

After reports of the shooting and robbery on the night of Tuesday, May 14th, 2024, Medical professionals on the scene confirmed to Magnetic Media that a young male was fatally shot by the police.  While initially believed to be between 15 or 16 years old, further investigation revealed that 14-year-old Toto had not been seen or heard from since the night of the incident.

According to the first official press release from TCI Police; they were fired upon in a marked police vehicle and returned fire at a reported stolen car, resulting in the death of an individual.

Over the following days, police issued two additional statements regarding the fatal shooting.  One statement mentioned two separate robbery reports in the Blue Hills vicinity on the same night.

This reporter received a voice note from a woman claiming to have been robbed of her car and valuables by two gunmen around the same time the boy was killed by authorities.

Police mentioned in one of their statements that multiple individuals fled the scene that night, but they did not mention recovering a firearm.

Videos obtained by Magnetic Media showed a small orange car with bullet holes and shattered windows, while no damage was observed on any police vehicles.

The father, although acknowledging his son’s involvement in crime, expressed disbelief that his son would shoot at the police, tearfully stating that he didn’t believe the police had to kill his son.

Community members disclosed that Toto turned to crime to support himself and his younger brother after their mother’s death.  Residents expressed a desire for the surviving brother to be relocated to a better environment and offered support to ensure his well-being and education.

Toto and his surviving brother, said to be 11 years old were born in the Turks and Caicos, and their tragic circumstances raise questions about the use of lethal force.

Magnetic Media conducted an extensive investigation, including interviews with the deceased boy’s father and community members.  There were visits to the shooting scene at Snake Hill, and examination of the alleged stolen orange car, which is now impounded at the police compound.

Continue Reading

Crime

Male Charged with Robbery

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, May 13, 2024 – Detectives of the Serious Crime Unit of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force have charged a man who allegedly stole a vehicle.

The accused, DANVANTE  BRISCO, 30,  of  Kew Town, Providenciales, was charged with:

  • One Count: Robbery
  • One Count: Taking Motor Vehicle Without Authority
  • One Count: Using Offensive Weapon to cause fear

Mr. BRISCO appeared in court today (May 13 ) and was granted bail of $7500.00 with one surety.

The matter was adjourned to July 05 for a Sufficiency Hearing.

Continue Reading

Crime

Dock Yard Male Charged  

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, May 13, 2024 – A 20-year-old Dock Yard male appeared in court today (May 13th) charged with a series of firearm-related offences.

The accused, JAMES SIMON, was denied bail and remanded into custody pending a Sufficiency Hearing scheduled for July 05th, 2024.

Mr. SIMON faces the following charges: 

  • One Count: Robbery;
  • One Count: Gang Membership
  • One Count: Possession of a Firearm for the Benefit of a Gang
  • One Count: Possession of Ammunition for the Benefit of a Gang.

The charges against Mr. Simon followed investigations by officers of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force into a robbery at the parking lot of a Casino where three males robbed a victim.

Additionally, Mr. Simon is charged with the following offences, having been arrested on May 02nd, 2024, along South Dock Road.

  • One Count: Possession of a Firearm
  • One Count: Possession of Ammunition
  • One Count: Unlawful Entry

Officers also charged a teenage minor who was in the company of  Mr. Simon on May 02nd with One Count of UNLAWFUL ENTRY. 

The accused, seventeen and from Kew Town, Providenciales, pleaded guilty and will be sentenced on May 20th.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING