Connect with us

Bahamas News

Hundreds of jobseekers turn out for ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ in Grand Bahama

Published

on

#TheBahamas, November 23, 2022 – Hundreds of residents in Grand Bahama gathered at St. George’s Gymnasium on November 19, 2022 for ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ in hopes of getting off the unemployment line.

It is the second such edition hosted by the Department of Labour, which is collaborating with the Ministry for Grand Bahama to bring together private businesses and government agencies under the same roof for job seekers.

Eager job seekers flocked to the gymnasium early that morning, with resume and other supporting documents in hand, to get first pick at the 29 businesses and government agencies represented at the job fair, in some instances queuing long lines.

A wide cross-section of businesses and government agencies were present, including Ernst and Young, Deloitte and Touche, Sawyer’s Fresh Market, Quality Services, Baker’s Bay, Grand Lucayan, Universal Security, Grand Bahama Shipyard, Cyber Tech, Freeport Container Port, the University of The Bahamas, Pelican Bay, Sandals, the Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute, and government agencies such as the Royal Bahamas Police Force, Royal Bahamas Defence Force, Bahamas Immigration, Bahamas Customs and the National Training Agency.

Sebastian Leguizamon, owner of Compadre, the first recyclable pocket lighter, said they have designed an automated assembly line, which will be operated in Freeport where the lighters will be made, and they will be offering good, high-paying jobs and on-site training for the 23 positions they are hoping to fill initially at the plant.

Leguizamon said he is impressed with the labour pool in The Bahamas, some of whom flew into Grand Bahama to take part in the job fair.

“[I’m] very impressed with the government, how proactive everybody is and again it makes investors very comfortable,” he said.

Human Resources Manager Disney Cruiseline Bahamas Leslie Lopez revealed the company is looking to fill several positions, including landscaping, maintenance, custodial and beach lifeguard and are also scouting out job seekers to fill 200 key positions at its new island, Lighthouse Pointe, in Eleuthera in 2024.

“We’re just getting heads up and seeing what the talent is like in Freeport. So far it’s been great, we’ve met some exciting persons who are ready to work for us and help us in carrying on that journey,” he said.

Lopez said the Department of Labour has been a great partner in helping Disney find essential talent.

Anna Albury, Human Resources Manager at Ocean Cay, a 95-acre private island owned by MSC Cruises, said they are currently recruiting 25 new prospects from room attendants, food and beverage runners, heavy equipment operators to lifeguards.

“Currently we have a total of 142 staff on the island and we’re looking to increase our numbers tremendously and we are global international great company to work for,” she said.

Tavaras Russell, Senior Clerk in the Human Resources Division at Bahamas Immigration, said it was an impressive turnout, and with many stopping by their booth seeking employment, the department is looking for qualified individuals who are ready to serve their country.

 

Photo Captions:

Header: Hundreds of jobseekers in Grand Bahama flocked to Georges’ Gymnasium as a wide cross-section of businesses and government agencies took part in ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ job fair on Saturday, November 19, 2022 hosted by the Department of Labour and the Ministry for Grand Bahama.

1st insert: Sebastian Leguizamon, owner of Compadre, the first recyclable pocket lighter, in Freeport said they are hoping to source 23 individuals from the pool of job seekers at the ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ hosted by the Department of Labour and the Ministry for Grand Bahama on Saturday, November 19, 2022 in Grand Bahama to fill the first 23 positions at their plant.

2nd insert: Human Resources Manager Disney Cruiseline Bahamas Leslie Lopez said the company was participating in ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ job fair on Saturday, November 19, 2022 in Grand Bahama in anticipation of filling several positions, including 200 key positions at its new island, Lighthouse Pointe, in Eleuthera for 2024.

3rd insert: Hundreds of residents queued long lines in hopes of snagging one of the vacant positions at one of the companies taking part in ‘Labour on the Blocks 2.0’ job fair on Saturday, November 19, 2022 at St. Georges’ Gymnasium hosted by the Department of Labour and the Ministry for Grand Bahama.

(Photos/Lisa Davis-BIS and Ministry for Grand Bahama)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING