Connect with us

Bahamas News

GB Minister conducts initial assessment of damage from TS Nicole

Published

on

#GrandBahama, The Bahamas, November 11, 2022 – Once the “All Clear” signal had been given by the Bahamas Meteorological Department, following the passage of Hurricane Nicole, Minister for Grand Bahama, Hon. Ginger Moxey was on the ground on Thursday morning (November 10, 2022) making her way into various Grand Bahama communities, making an assessment of damages that had been caused by Nicole.
Minister Moxey focused most of her initial assessment in West Grand Bahama, going from Eight Mile Rock to West End.
“Based on the assessment, I can safely say that we have done pretty well during the passing of Hurricane Nicole,” said Minister Moxey. “There has been some flooding in West End and there was a lot of debris in the streets. But as we can see, clean up has already begun.”
Hurricane Nicole battered Abaco and Grand Bahama as a Tropical storm on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, but increased in intensity, forming into a Category One Hurricane, packing sustained winds of 75 miles per hour, as it began its exit from the second city on Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
Hurricane shelters had been opened and evacuations had taken place in a number of communities, including Sweeting’s Cay, East Grand Bahama and parts of West Grand Bahama. However, many residents made the decision to weather the storm in their homes. While Nicole had been a Tropical Storm as it approached Abaco and Grand Bahama, the main concern was high surge and extreme flooding because of a combination of heavy rain from the system, with the seas being at king tide.
Officials from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had urged residents in flood proned communities to evacuate because of the potential for extensive flooding. True to prediction, Tropical Storm Nicole brought severe flooding in both Abaco and Grand Bahama.
 Asked about mandatory evacuations for residents, Minister Moxey said it is something that is always discussed. However, she said everything was done to send out the warnings and to try and encourage people to evacuate properties that were in low-lying areas or those near the coast.  “I believe that because it was a tropical storm at the time, many residents made their decisions based on that,” said Minister Moxey. “I know that we have been very, very supportive and as government, we’ve done all that we can to ensure that all of our people are safe.”
About the flooding in West Grand Bahama, Minister Moxey said the plans are to put in more drainage and construct additional seawalls. That, she said is a part of the budget.
“We’re focused really on resiliency. The master plan for this island that we’re working on is tied to building with resiliency because Grand Bahama is known as the center of resilience, because we deal with so many of these storms.
“Moving ahead, we really look to strengthen our infrastructure and to be able to build with resiliency. I believe that we always learn something every time we go through these storms. What I would say is that we came together – as normal – to ensure that our residents were safe. All agencies and other regulatory bodies all came together and we were able to effectively navigate through this system.
“Of course, having the weather department with the frequent updates and the media reports, they assisted us with getting the word out there to the public to evacuate in some areas and for residents to stay indoors during the storm. We’re happy that everyone came together to ensure that Grand Bahamians remained safe.
“As far as this storm is concerned, Grand Bahama is in a good place, because we didn’t do too well in Hurricane Dorian.”
As Tropical Storm Nicole approached Grand Bahama, there was concern for the residents in East Grand Bahama, who had suffered severely during Hurricane Dorian in 2019. Many homes in East Grand Bahama, which was hit the hardest, were destroyed, forcing many to leave the community for a while.
 As far as how East Grand Bahama fared during the passage of Hurricane Nicole, Senator James Turner reported that early on Thursday morning, he and a team travelled into East Grand Bahama, as far as McLean’s Town to assess any damage there: “There was some moderate flooding in the roads, but if you had a four by four or a truck you could get by. Of course, the roofs that were already compromised suffered a little more. But overall, the news is good. No one got hurt, everyone is in good spirits and everyone has plans to move on.”
 Senator Kirkland Russell said the government did what was necessary to prepare residents for Tropical storm Nicole. He said the government did what was necessary in evacuating persons who wanted to leave; they opened and properly managed the shelters and ensured that the Emergency Operations Center was properly manned and the operation was at the highest standard.
“We want to ensure all of our residents who may have been suffering from Dorian, those who may have incurred new damages to their homes that they need assistance with, the government is at the ready,” said Senator Russell. “Teams are already out and about, carrying out assessments.  The government is ready to provide all of the necessary assistance that is needed to get our islands back to a state of normalcy as quick as possible. And that includes assessments of all of our business sectors, hotel sectors and everything else. We are here and we are ready to go.”
Photo Captions:
Header: Minister for Grand Bahama, Hon. Ginger Moxey chats with some of the workers who were cleaning up the street in Eight Mile Rock following Tropical Storm Nicole on Thursday, November 10, 2022.
Insert: Eight Mile Rock Administrator Ferguson (left) chats with Minister for Grand Bahama, Hon. Ginger Moxey and Senators James Turner and Kirkland Russell during their stop on the front road of Eight Mile Rock, where the popular Fish Fry is located. The area, which is near the sea, had major flooding from Tropical Storm Nicole. There were still some signs of the water that had filled the area the day before.
(BIS Photos/Andrew Coakley)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING