Connect with us

Bahamas News

CIBS FirstCaribbean Aids Hands For Hunger Food Security Commitment

Published

on

#TheBahamas, December 7, 2021 – In January alone, nearly 30,000 pounds of food was distributed to Bahamians in need by Hands For Hunger.

As March approaches and the National Food Distribution Task Force is expected to cease, the non-profit organization has already committed to continue supporting communities still in need and CIBC FirstCaribbean recently made a donation to Hands For Hunger to assist with its efforts.

Ms. Keisha Ellis, Hands For Hunger’s Executive Director underscored that many families never imagined they would ever need food assistance “so we are happy to be able to step in with boxes of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and wholegrains to provide some comfort in these difficult times.”

With the bank’s support, those families, as well as senior citizen and children’s homes, and other community organizations, will remain on the receiving end of food deliveries and vouchers.

“It’s these donations that are really the difference between us getting food to our agencies one week and not getting it there during another”, said Ms. Ellis who is “grateful for the support from CIBC.”

Mrs. Nikia Christie, CIBC FirstCaribbean’s Marketing Manager, commended Hands For Hunger for its unwavering commitment to the thousands it serves.

“We know that 90% of every dollar given goes directly into food purchases and that your turn around time on turning funds to food for families is astounding.”

She continued, “The bank recognizes Hands For Hunger’s balancing act as it continues distributing to its partner agencies and now commits to doing the same for those impacted by COVID-19.

“Like so many non-profit organizations across the country, you have gone above and beyond for Bahamians in need.”

Hands For Hunger has regularly served forty partner agencies for over ten years. Task Force Operations became a second arm of the organization due to the increased food insecurity brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic last year.

Ms. Ellis said the introduction of the Task Force “was a really interesting challenge because prior to COVID-19, about 98% of Hands For Hunger’s outreach was through its agencies.”

This percentage shifted as the organization took on 6,000 families in the southwestern and southeastern parts of New Providence.

CIBC FirstCaribbean has assisted in the fight against COVID-19 and its dire impacts through the donation of hygiene and school supplies to classrooms, personal protective equipment (PPE) to frontline healthcare workers, and financially supporting children’s homes, The Salvation Army, Bahamas Red Cross, Great Commission Ministries, Lend A Hand Bahamas, and now Hands For Hunger.

The bank also carried out a number of initiatives, such as the CIBC FirstCaribbean Unsung Frontline Hero competition, and COVID-19 relief to eligible clients through moratoria and other special relief offerings.

 

Press Release: CIBC FirstCaribbean

PhotoCaption: CIBC FirstCaribbean recently made a donation to Hands For Hunger to assist with its efforts in the fight against food insecurity. Photo Credit: ashley@serenawilliams-pr.com

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING