#Bahamas, April 9, 2021 – Minister of Health the Hon. Renward Wells has assured that the government is working to secure additional vaccines from approved providers, in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
He made the statement Wednesday, April 7, during the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Update Press Conference, one of the official avenues used to disseminate information to the public.
“COVID-19 vaccinations are now available in-country for specific priority groups. The Vaccination Campaign has been moving along successfully,” Minister Wells said during the live broadcast.
He confirmed that to date, The Bahamas has received a total of 53,600 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Out of that, 20,000 doses were received as a gift from the Government of India and 33,600 doses were received through the COVAX Facility with the assistance of the Pan American Health Organization.
The minister noted that through PAHO, The Bahamas is scheduled to receive an additional 67,200 vaccines through the COVAX Facility.
“The Government continues to work on all fronts to secure additional vaccines from approved providers,” Minister Wells said.
To date, more than 10,000 first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered to Bahamians and residents. Over 1,000 individuals are being vaccinated per day and health care workers are actively working to increase this number, he added.
Vaccines have been administered at centres in New Providence, Grand Bahama and Eleuthera. Additional centres have opened to include a wider range of individuals namely teachers and staff of schools, the physically disabled, those in the hospitality industry and students and athletes studying abroad.
As of Tuesday, 6th April 2021, there were 26 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases in The Bahamas to 9,296. The total number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths now stands at 189.
By Lindsay Thompson (BIS)
(BIS Photo/Patrick Hanna)
Missing in House Meetings, BVI law requires By-Election soon
By Dana Malcolm
#BVI, August 4, 2022 – The British Virgin Islands will soon have a by-election to contest embattled former premier Andrew Fahie seat in the House of Assembly(HOA). Fahie will likely lose his seat in the coming weeks as the speaker of the house confirmed she will not be granting the ex-premier anymore leave to miss sittings of the House according to local media.
Fahie is forbidden from leaving Miami while he awaits his court appearance on drug charges after being arrested along with fellow countrywoman, Olenvine Maynard in a DEA operation.
No member of the HOA is allowed to miss three consecutive meetings without leave from the speaker of the house in the BVI. Once the time expires a by election will be triggered
Fahie has plead “not guilty” to the drug charges against him and remains in Miami at the home of his two daughters who along with his wife have had to surrender their passports.
The BVI narrowly avoided a partial constitutional suspension earlier this year after a UK led Commission of Inquiry found widespread instances of corruption in the government.
Dr Natalio D. Wheatley continues as Acting Premier of the British Virgin Islands.
A pristine bay in Exuma contaminated in Diesel Spill, Bahamas Gov’t opens investigation
By Dana Malcolm
#TheBahamas, July 25, 2022 – Bahamian companies are making significant progress in their effort to clean up a 35,000 gallon fuel spill in some of the most pristine waters in the world: Exuma.
By Thursday afternoon 11,000 gallons had already been removed and the rest is expected to be siphoned out by Friday. The spill was noticed about 4am Wednesday morning during a fuel transfer which was on its way to Bahamas Power and Light (BPL).
Chester Cooper, in acting Prime Minister capacity at the time of the messy spill in his constituency. Cooper flew into Exuma with a team of ministers and media to assess the damage. Bahamian-owned, Sun Oil was the source of the diesel leak.
“It was on its way to BPL but ended up here in the cove. We are happy that it appears to be contained,” said Cooper, obviously concerned but expressing relief for the manageable scope of the spill.
In a statement shared with Bahamian media houses Sun Oil said ‘at 4am Wednesday morning crew members onboard the MT Arabian, a vessel contracted on behalf of Sun Oil Limited to deliver diesel fuel, discovered a leak during the discharging process. The crew deployed absorbent pads and containment buoys near the shoreline at sunrise.’
Cleanup is being led by the crew of the vessel with mechanical assistance from BPL whose trucks are holding the fuel.
Utilities Minister Alfred Sears gave this report last week on the cleanup efforts.
The fuel is contained to one area, thanks to the booms, said to be the bay of the Exuma Sailing Club.
In photos, while it does appear to be contained, the turquoise of the fuel free water is a jarring contrast with the now brown-black of the contaminated water and residents say the odor is equally putrid and far reaching.
Bahamian Reporter Marlena Leonard said she could smell the odor in the bus on her way to the site and residents told her they could smell it all the way in town.
Aerial images shared by the Bahamian Ministry of Works on Twitter are heartbreaking, showing the extent of the spill stretching from the bay to the open ocean.
Bahamians have taken to Twitter expressing distress, one said
“In the interest of my mental health, I am required to pretend that I did not see news about that oil spill in Exuma.”
Another said, “An oil spill anywhere in this country should spark outrage but something about seeing it happened in Exuma just feels different—“
The was a concerted effort by high ranking officials to see the scene and debrief the media. Officials from Sun Oil, BPL, the Ministry of Environment, Utilities Minister Alfred Sears, various other government officials and Acting Prime Minister Chester Cooper attended the scene yesterday morning. Prime Minister Philip Davis was in Miami at the time attending a CANTO telecommunications conference.
Turks & Caicos and World trending up in COVID cases while Africa experiences big drop
By Dana Malcolm
#TurksandCaicos, July 15, 2022 – Covid-19 cases are trending up globally and in the Turks and Caicos. There were twenty one new cases between July 3rd to 9th and 61 positive cases on the island overall according to the most recent COVID-19 report. This is the highest reported total weekly case count since the beginning of May.
Global deaths on the other hand have a risen over 1,500 compared to two weeks ago
Brazil and the United States consistently record some of the highest case numbers in the Americas. The US had 722,000 new cases and Brazil had 396,000 new cases. Both countries along with Chile continue to record the highest death toll in the Americas.
The African region saw a major drop in cases a 33 percent decrease compared to the previous week, deaths were 17 percent lower.
Unfortunately the Eastern Mediterranean region including countries like Tunisia, Iran and Morocco saw a 78 percent increase in people who died due to Covid-19.
The BA.5 variant has not overtaken Omicron as the most dominant strain of the COVID-19 virus but infection linked to BA.5 are rising.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
News4 days ago
New Locally Produced Talkshow Series Trailblazing Chats Airs
Caribbean News5 days ago
TCI Premier and Delegation visit NCI in Jamaica
Health6 days ago
Cleveland Clinic Performs First-In-World Full Multi-Organ Transplant to Treat Rare Appendix Cancer
Bahamas News1 week ago
Beneath the Waves’ summer camp inspires young Bahamians to become stewards of the environment
Bahamas News1 week ago
GBPA Statement from Ian Rolle, President
Bahamas News5 days ago
Leslie Gibson, first Bahamian to land in Royal Caribbean’s Corporate Offices, looking for others to join the company he praises for diversity and inclusion
Bahamas News6 days ago
Scores of Students Equipped with Supplies to Return to School
Bahamas News4 days ago
NEMA/UNWFP conduct Emergency Response Equipment Workshop