Connect with us

Caribbean News

TCI: What if we – TOGETHER – invested the $11 Million?

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, March 8, 2021 – Spanx, now a billion dollar company was launched with just $5,000 of personal savings and family support to a then 27-year old Sara Blakely.

The Ritz-Carlton brand, which we are soon to see officially labelling a new luxury hotel on Grace Bay was started in the 1920s with just under $6 million; now the franchise has 30,000 resort rooms all over the world.

So far be it from possible to think $11 million dollars in capital couldn’t revolutionise the lives of ordinary Turks and Caicos Islanders.

Here is the man who dares us all to dream bigger, instead of flushing a free gift down the consumer toilet. 

Benneth Williams is known as a hard-working man who wears a number of caps which lead him to lend to the development of children, protection of the environment, healthier living and cultural appreciation.

“My father’s name is Arthur Williams and my mother’s name is Winefred McIntosh.  I’m from Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.  I was brought up in the Bight, Providenciales.  I went to school in South Caicos,” said Williams when we asked him to tell us who he is.

The husband and father goes on to speak about the family he has now built and his personal passions including in sports and environmental sustainability. 

Eventually he gets to the meat of the matter, that the money Government is giving in a cash stimulus could become the gift that keeps on giving.

This story started with Benneth Williams sending to me advice on what to do and what not to do once I received the government-granted $1,000 cash stimulus, as a relief to economic hardships brought on by the Coronavirus Pandemic. 

“Create a budget; address essential needs; add to a personal emergency fund; pay down on debt; help your local community; open a high-yield savings account; invest in yourself and improve your skills; donate to those in need…just my two cents,” said Mr. Williams on March 2, 2021 in a WhatsApp message.

Williams is a man of many opinions and many ideas about what it takes for Turks and Caicos to be better.  He put those thoughts to action, when he offered in the 2016 general elections.  He was not successful in the bid, but this advocate is not silenced.

“You probably don’t want to hear what I think about this $11 million dollars.  I think all of us should collectively open up our own bank and use this $11 million dollars. All of us would have shares or maybe if all of us decided, we’re not going to take this money and invest it in a hotel where all of us have shares in that hotel,” said Williams who added, “I understand there is a hotel on Grace Bay where its profit last year was $126 million dollars.   A hundred and twenty-six million dollars!  I’m not sure if what I heard was right but you’re talking $11 million dollars investing in something where everybody, all 11,000 of us could be shareholders!”

Williams sees the cash grant as a not-to-be-wasted opportunity for financial security of islanders.

The Progressive National Party ran an election campaign which promised residents that a substantial payout of cash was what the effect of the pandemic demanded and what the people of the islands required.

Seven days after taking office, the announcement of a $1,000 hassle-free cash stimulus to all Turks and Caicos Islanders and all British Overseas Territory Citizens (resident in TCI 12-months) came.  Two days later the registration portal was opened and two days after that, residents began receiving e-mail messages that they had been approved for the money.

“People should really consider this money and see what we can do with this money, because you don’t have the money now and you’re still living so maybe use it for something bigger.”

Benneth and Shauna, his wife have been married for 22-years and have three children. 

One son wants to attend what Mr. Williams called, “an expensive football school…” and as parents of the talented athlete, they want to give him the best possible education and experience they can.  Williams said a national coming together of this kind would make that lofty dream more of a reality for Turks and Caicos families.

“This is $11 million dollars and if you give it to me and with my $1,000 I go ahead and invest it, then five years from now what really is my investment going to be? Not much.  But I think if collectively we put that money together and decide that we are going to invest it into something that is tangible and unique to the Turks and Caicos Islands we can see something that our children can say, this is the sacrifice our parents made and this is the reward I am getting right now from their investment, that they did 10 years or 15 years ago.”

Key ideas coming from the swimming and football coach were for a re-boot of a Turks and Caicos bank or a 100% Turks and Caicos Islander owned hotel, in the northwestern end of Providenciales.

“How about that?  Banking with your own bank.  Doing business with your own bank.  Make your money, make money for you.  Or what about a hotel down in Northwest Point?  Nothing much is up there, but there is a hotel in that area raking in millions of dollars.  Why not, we do the same thing!  Villas are making money, private villas are making money and that is the same thing in northwest point.  Let us invest in something that is tangible, that we can have somebody run it and all I am looking at is the bottom line so that I can get the return on my investment.  Something I can use to send my kids to school, I can use to make other investments, I can help my daughter with swimming lessons, help my kid in going to the school he really wants to.”

Williams said so many islanders have to face an often heart-breaking reality when they are unable to provide for their families in more meaningful ways.

Williams said the stifling feeling of lack can all be a thing of the past if recipients of the free-cash were to merge the money for this cause of greater financial security. 

“We don’t own anything in Grace Bay and that can all change.  It’s just my thought, maybe we could invest the money versus all of us going to pay a company that is already raking in millions of dollars to take yourself out of a hole only to still be in indebt years from now.”

The message of Mr. Williams is not a unique one, though at this time it grabs special attention. 

Economic empowerment for Turks and Caicos Islanders is often touted by politicians, preachers, corporate and civic leaders and the layman, but unlike any other time in history, the Government has been given the green light to distribute funds to help and indigenous islanders and those funds could wisely be used to build a revenue generating future.

“We can all sell this destination for ourselves but we have to do it collectively, together and that is all I’m saying.”

Caribbean News

Mottley Sworn in After Historic Clean Sweep in Barbados Election

Published

on

Barbados, February 12, 2026 – Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley was this afternoon officially sworn in for a third consecutive term, hours after delivering one of the most emphatic election victories in Caribbean political history — another complete capture of all 30 seats in Barbados’ House of Assembly.

The ceremony, conducted by President His Excellency Lt. Col. The Most Honourable Jeffrey Bostic, marked the formal start of a new administration following the February 11, 2026 general election, which returned the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to power with a renewed and overwhelming mandate.

In a statement after taking the oath, Mottley said she accepted the responsibility “with humility and resolve,” thanking the people of Barbados for placing their trust in her leadership once again and urging national unity as her government begins its new term. Attorney Wilfred Abrahams was also sworn in as Attorney General.

The result is historic not only for its scale but for its consistency. This is the third straight general election in which the BLP has won every constituency, reinforcing Mottley’s dominance in national politics and extending an unmatched era of one-party control in the modern democratic period.

Voting day unfolded under the watch of a CARICOM Election Observation Mission, led by Antigua and Barbuda’s Supervisor of Elections Ian Hughes and supported by senior electoral officials from Belize and Jamaica. The team engaged key institutions ahead of the poll and monitored the process across the island.

Regional leaders were swift in their congratulations.

Guyana’s President Irfaan Ali described the outcome as “emphatic and historic,” saying the clean sweep reflected how deeply Mottley’s leadership has connected with Barbadians and expressing optimism about strengthening ties between the two countries.

Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness also hailed the victory, noting that her re-election provides an opportunity to deepen cooperation within CARICOM and advance shared regional priorities.

The scale of the win again leaves Barbados without a parliamentary opposition, a reality that has become a defining feature of the political landscape since 2018. Supporters argue the repeated mandate reflects public confidence in Mottley’s stewardship of economic reform, climate diplomacy, the transition to a republic, and Barbados’ expanding global influence.

Now, newly sworn in and backed by another unanimous parliamentary majority, Mottley begins a third term with both extraordinary political capital and equally high expectations at home and across the region.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Liberty Caribbean Committed to ‘Elevating Region’ at CANTO  

Published

on

Simone Martin-Sulgan, Vice President and General Manager, Flow Trinidad & Tobago

Liberty Caribbean is Diamond Sponsor of CANTO Connect 2026 and 42nd AGM

 

Port of Spain, TRININDAD & TOBAGO (February 1, 2026) — Liberty Caribbean, the operators of Flow. Liberty Business and BTC, has reaffirmed its commitment to turning regional connectivity into measurable economic and social outcomes as Diamond Sponsor of CANTO Connect 2026 and its 42nd Annual General Meeting.

CANTO is the leading regional body that brings together telecommunications operators, ICT providers, regulators, governments, and industry partners to support the development of the Caribbean’s digital and communications landscape.

Simone Martin-Sulgan, Vice President and General Manager, Flow Trinidad & Tobago delivered the sponsor’s address on behalf of Liberty Caribbean.

“The work of laying fibre and lighting towers is done; connectivity is now our foundation,” she said.

“The real task before us is to translate that foundation into innovation, productivity and prosperity for our people. Intelligent connectivity, such as networks designed for 5G, AI and IoT, will be the platform for smarter public services, more resilient systems and scaled opportunities for Caribbean entrepreneurs.”

Martin-Sulgan emphasised that infrastructure alone will not deliver sustainable progress.

“Digital progress must become digital prosperity. That means creating career pathways for young people, helping local businesses scale and ensuring citizens across our communities can fully participate in the digital economy. A connected Caribbean should also be a confident, creative and globally competitive Caribbean,” she said.

Liberty Caribbean is represented by a senior delegation at CANTO Connect to support the conference objectives of aligning policy, investment and execution across the region under this year’s theme ‘Elevate the Caribbean – From Connectivity to Global Competitiveness’.

Liberty Caribbean’s delegation includes Inge Smidts, Chief Executive Officer; Desron Bynoe, VP and General Manager, Flow Barbados; Susanna O’Sullivan, VP and General Manager, North Caribbean; Marilyn Sealy, Senior Director, Head of Communications; Dominic Boon, VP, People; Daniel Neiva, Chief Commercial Officer, B2B; Bradley Ramcharan, Director, B2B, Trinidad & Tobago; Yolande Headley, Country Manager, Dutch East Caribbean; and Jade Reymond, Country Manager, Flow Anguilla.

Martin-Sulgan thanked CANTO’s local secretariat for convening the forum and urged delegates to convert conversation into action.

“If we align policy, capital and capability, the Caribbean can move from connectivity to competitiveness. Liberty Caribbean will continue to invest in resilient networks, nurture homegrown talent and partner to deliver measurable social and economic value across our markets,” she said.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Adam Stewart named CNW’s Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year for 2025

Published

on

Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts, Adam Stewart, has been named Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year for 2025 by the regional news publication, Caribbean National Weekly (CNW).

The publication recognised Stewart for his leadership in hospitality, his ongoing investments in regional tourism, his steady crisis response and his philanthropic work throughout what it described as a year filled with both remarkable achievements and significant challenges.

CNW highlighted how 2025 saw industry recognition for Stewart, major announcements of multimillion‑dollar developments across his all‑inclusive luxury resort brands and an invitation to join the prestigious Wall Street Journal CEO Council.

But the publication said his impact extended well beyond business milestones.

“In 2025, the Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts didn’t just guide his iconic hospitality empire through crisis – he used its scale and influence to help shape Jamaica’s rebound and lay groundwork for future regional growth,” CNW wrote.

The defining moment, it said, came in late October when Hurricane Melissa caused severe damage to parts of Jamaica’s tourism infrastructure. Stewart responded by leading transparent communication with global travel advisors, partners and team members, and made a landmark pledge, that 100 per cent of Sandals and Beaches employees would remain on payroll and receive Christmas bonuses, even at resorts temporarily closed for extensive restoration and upgrades. The company also committed more than US$3 million in staff recovery aid, providing direct support to families affected by the storm.

CNW further highlighted the work of the Sandals Foundation under Stewart’s guidance, noting record levels of community engagement and targeted disaster‑recovery support in healthcare, livelihoods and the environment.

In response to the honour, Stewart said he was “deeply humbled” to receive the Businessman/Philanthropist of the Year recognition and expressed his gratitude to his teams and partners for their dedication during an extraordinary year.

“This award reflects far more than any one individual. It is a direct result of people showing up every day for their communities and believing business is a force for good. It belongs to the extraordinary teams who carry our shared vision forward – especially the Sandals Foundation, whose work continues to create lasting change across education, health care, disaster relief and environmental stewardship,” Stewart stated.

“To every colleague and partner who helps bring this mission to life – thank you for your commitment, heart and belief.”

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING