Connect with us

News

Door-buster turn out at Treasury Office for Stimulus cheques exposes financial need in TCI

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, March 30, 2021 – The government explained there was no need to crowd the Public Treasury, but tell that to people who are financially starving amidst the coronavirus pandemic and are approved for the ‘free’ one-thousand dollars cash. 

On Friday, the crowd was far more than anyone had bargained for and the make-up of those who turned out, was an eye-opener about the level of financial need among citizens of the British territory. 

“Please, I am urging the public not to crowd the collection venues if you do not fit the criteria for stimulus collection at this time. We must allow the elderly populationto collect their stimulus cheques safely and swiftly; and we must be mindful and adhere to the COVID-19 protocols and health measures while doing so. 

The Ministry of Finance is working to swiftly process and issue all Citizen Relief Stimulus applications and cheques and we need the full cooperation and compliance of the general public,” admonished the Premier, C. Washington Misick, who issued the statement from his office in Grand Turk after hearing about the crushing crowd. 

Royal TCI Police were called in to help with physical distancing.  It brought some order, but not much. 

The potential popularity of day one of the cheque distribution was crystal clear, many said, by the overwhelming number of people who applied for the cash.  Ministry of Finance confirmed 15,210 people applied and 13,214 were approved. 

It is a citizen’s relief measure announced seven days after the Washington Misick-led PNP Government took office on February 20 and residents, once they got in to Treasury and out, were thankful.  While others looking on labelled the first day of cheque distribution a potential Covid-19 super spreader event.

“I would like to assure the public that applicant will receive an email with an update on the status of their application. Additionally, a list of all approved and cleared to print applicants will be published on the Turks and Caicos Islands Government portal (www.gov.tc) along with information of the date, time and venue for collection of Citizen Relief Stimulus cheques. Each applicant will be given 30 days to collect,” encouraged the country’s leader who on Monday March 22 managed to secure the additional funding through Parliament to pass the full cost of the stimulus funding. 

The physically disabled were allowed in ahead of others congregated at the office and some entered and exited, sadly reporting that they would have to come back as their cheques were not yet ready. 

Distribution of the cheques began on Friday March 26 in Providenciales and Grand Turk in an application and qualifying system which was more simplified and empathetic of the need of indigenous people than had been offered by the previous government administration.

News

Traffic Death again, a woman dies and two others hospitalised

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, June 23, 2024 – Magnetic Media can inform that, yes there has been another traffic death in Providenciales and reports say it’s a woman who didn’t make it out of a three car smash up.

Almost, exactly 24 hours after a deadly collision was recorded in wee hours of Saturday morning came news, this morning, of a second death by motor vehicle accident.

“I can confirm the Police Control Room received a call during the early hours of this morning involving a serious accident on Leeward Highway. One person (female) died while others were rushed for medical treatment,” said Denyse Renne, media officer for the Royal TCI Police.

The Cheshire Hall Medical Center, which had already suspended visitation due to security concerns in the wake of four murders between Friday and Saturday in Provo, has restricted its Emergency Room to emergencies only.

TCI hospitals citing the unusually high demand for urgent medical care to multiple patients as the reason for the restriction.

While it is widely reported that the person who died in the traffic accident on Leeward Highway near Pratt’s Road is a female tourist, police say they’re investigating.

It’s been a total of six lives lost in startling incidents in the past day in Providenciales.  The tragic circumstances of the car accidents and sheer violence of the shootings have sent shockwaves throughout the country leaving residents utterly bewildered.

Continue Reading

Crime

Five Cays Shooting Death

Published

on

***MEDIA RELEASE***

June 22nd, 2024.

Homicide detectives of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force are actively investigating a murder in Five Cays, Providenciales.

Initial reports indicate that shortly after midday, the Police Control Room received several calls stating that gunshots were being heard in the area of the Community Center.

RT&CIPF officers responded to the given location and found the lifeless body of a male with what appeared to be gunshot wounds about the body.

The RT&CIPF is asking anyone with information that may help in this investigation to contact the closest police station, 911, the Serious Crime Unit at 231-1842, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-8477 to provide any information anonymously.

Additionally, individuals are encouraged to download the Crime Stoppers P3 app to share information.

Continue Reading

News

Rescued

Published

on

 

 

Media Release

June 22nd, 2024.

 

Two occupants of an aircraft were rescued around 3:28 p.m. today (June 22) following an intensive sea search around Providenciales.

The occupants –two males- are currently receiving medical attention.

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force can confirm that shortly after midday, the Air Tower received a report regarding an aircraft landing on water (ditching) approximately 11 miles from Northwest Point, Providenciales.

The aircraft had departed from the United States and experienced engine failure.

Having received reports of the incident, a Strategic Coordinating Group with representation from the RT&CIPF, the TCI Civil Aviation Authority, the Airport Authority, the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies, and the Ministry of Health was activated to coordinate the search and rescue.

The group worked closely with partners from OpBat and received confirmation that a United States Coast Guard helicopter had successfully rescued the two persons after three hours.

The victims were brought ashore.

Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police Mat Newton said, “I wish to express my profound gratitude and acknowledge the invaluable support of our national and international partners.

“This successful rescue operation is a testament to our collective strength and coordination. With the full support from our US partners and the local marine community, I extend my heartfelt thanks to our OpBat partners and the crew of the US Coastguard helicopter, as well as the Marine Branch of the RT&CIPF, the staff of the Department of Environment and Coastal Resources (DECR), the Department of Fisheries and Resources Management, Caribbean Cruisin, and vessels from the TCI Search and Rescue Association.

“We are now in the process of initiating an investigation into the accident in close liaison with the Civil Aviation Authority.”

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING