#KINGSTON, March 5, 2020 (JIS): The Government will be partnering with the University of the West Indies (UWI), Open Campus, over the next three years, to provide training and research on sexual harassment in the workplace and related matters.
Specifically, the collaboration is
between the Bureau of Gender Affairs (BGA), under the Ministry of Culture,
Gender, Entertainment and Sport, and the Hugh Shearer Labour Studies Institute.
The partnership will see the Institute
providing special training through seminars, lectures and workshops coordinated
by the Bureau. Training will cover the areas of sexual harassment, workplace
bullying, emotional intelligence, labour laws, grievance handling and good
industrial relations practices.
Both
parties signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to formalise this
partnership during a ceremony at the UWI Regional Headquarters on February 28.
The emphasis will be on providing
support to combat the stigma of sexual harassment through research and the areas
of training identified. It is expected to contribute to an appreciation among
public sector workers of the importance of promoting an environment free of sexual
harassment, in which all categories of workers are treated with respect and
dignity.
Minister of Culture, Gender,
Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, who participated in the signing,
said the MOU has been entered into at an opportune time, in light of “the
increasing incidents of violence and abuse of our women.”
Advertisement
She noted that through the MoU, the
intent is to explore the impact on productivity of sexual harassment and the
implications for workplace competitiveness.
“We would also want to examine the link
between sexual harassment and the society; the existing and potential costs in
legal related terms; the cost associated with the re-orientation of victims
back into the society; the loss of skilled workers; and the psychologically-related
costs that are often associated with these abuses,” she said.
She pointed out that the Ministry’s
collaboration with the UWI Open Campus will assist in defining the scope of the
research agenda, “and to better prepare us for the challenges in combatting
sexual harassment in the workplace.”
Ms. Grange said an important benefit from
this collaboration is in the area of training, which will focus on prevention
of sexual harassment.
Advertisement
“In that regard, we must create a vision
of a new Jamaica where respect, tolerance and dignity and a high self-esteem
are seen as the norm for workplace behaviours, and that organisations take the
time and make the effort to offer mentorship and specialised training for
persons who have been socialised to show disrespect for women,” she said.
In her remarks, Pro Vice-Chancellor and
Principal, UWI Open Campus, Dr. Luz Longsworth, said through ongoing training,
the Institute has been working to address the issue of sexual harassment.
“Over the last year or two, the Institute
has been at the forefront of training and sensitisation in over 30 orgnisations
in Jamaica and the region in both the public and private sectors and they have
dealt with not only sexual harassment, but also workplace bullying, and in
guiding policy development and implementation in the workforce,” she said.
Dr. Longsworth argued that knowing what is
happening in the workplace is important to ensuring the improvement of labour
relations in Jamaica.
She noted that Jamaica’s “own culturally
nuanced approach to gender interactions in the workplace needs to be explored.
They need to be scrutinised and most importantly, they need to be researched in
order to guide our policy development.”
“We know that there is a dearth of that
type of research in the Caribbean which will guide policy and practice is some
of our major industries,” she said.
Advertisment
She noted for instance, that research needs to
be done on the local hospitality industry, pointing to research from the United
Kingdom (UK) which revealed that nine out of every 10 workers in the sector
have experienced some form of sexual harassment.
Dr.
Longsworth also pointed to the need to explore the situation of domestic workers
as well as call centre employees.
She said that sexual harassment is not
only about human rights and social justice, but it makes good business sense
for organisations to invest in eliminating sexual harassment, citing research
in the United States (US) which has shown that the effects of sexual harassment
on productivity and health, as well as the cost of litigation, can go up to US$22,000
per employee in the company that is affected.
Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.
May 22, 2026 – The Caribbean Community is warning that the escalating conflict surrounding the Strait of Hormuz is now directly threatening Caribbean economies, driving up the cost of fuel, food and freight across a region heavily dependent on imports.
In a statement issued this week, CARICOM expressed “serious concern” over the worsening hostilities in the Middle East and the growing instability affecting one of the world’s most critical shipping corridors.
CARICOM said it is alarmed by: “the severe loss of life, threats to civil infrastructure, and the instability in global markets” resulting from the conflict.
The regional bloc warned that disruption in maritime transit through the Strait of Hormuz is reverberating across the global economy through: “energy markets, supply chains and increased freight costs.”
For Caribbean citizens, those consequences are already becoming painfully visible.
In Nassau, gasoline prices have surged again, with regular fuel now nearing or exceeding seven dollars per gallon at some stations. Consumers in other CARICOM countries are also reporting higher transportation costs, rising grocery bills and mounting pressure on household budgets.
The fear among regional leaders is that the crisis is far from over.
Roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas normally passes through the Strait of Hormuz, making it one of the most strategically important waterways in global trade. Analysts warn prolonged disruption could trigger even higher global inflation and deeper supply chain instability.
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has now warned that the crisis could become a: “systemic agrifood shock” capable of triggering a severe global food price crisis within six to twelve months.
The Caribbean is especially vulnerable because of its dependence on imported fuel, imported food and imported manufactured goods.
A recent UN regional analysis warned that shockwaves from the Middle East conflict are already reaching Caribbean nations, where rising oil prices and freight costs are increasing the price of imported food, electricity and transportation.
Global institutions are also sounding increasingly dire warnings.
The World Bank projects energy prices could surge by 24 percent this year because of the conflict, while fertilizer prices may jump by more than 30 percent — increases likely to feed directly into higher food costs worldwide.
The International Monetary Fund has meanwhile warned the global economy could face a “much worse outcome” if the conflict drags into 2027 and oil prices continue climbing.
CARICOM is now calling for all parties to respect international law and preserve safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The Community stressed that transit passage: “should not be contingent on any license, levy, or authorization,” and warned that bordering states should not “hamper or suspend” the movement of vessels through the corridor.
CARICOM also called for: “cessation of hostilities” and urged “de-escalation and restraint by all parties.”
But for many Caribbean citizens, the economic pain is already here.
And with fuel nearing seven dollars per gallon in parts of The Bahamas, regional governments are facing renewed pressure over cost of living concerns, inflation and the Caribbean’s continued dependence on imported energy and food supplies.
Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.
Antigua & Barbuda, May 4, 2026 – Prime Minister Gaston Browne has secured a historic fourth consecutive term in office, leading the Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party to a commanding victory in the country’s snap general election held April 30, 2026.
Preliminary results show Browne’s party capturing 15 of the 17 seats in Parliament, tightening its grip on power and dramatically weakening the opposition.
The main opposition United Progressive Party was reduced to just one seat, held by its leader, while the Barbuda People’s Movement retained its single constituency in Barbuda.
The result marks a major political turnaround for Browne, whose party had won a much narrower 9–7 majority in the 2023 election before rebuilding support through defections and by-elections.
Voter turnout figures vary in early reports, with initial estimates indicating participation of around 35.8 percent, or roughly 22,700 voters out of more than 63,000 registered. However, broader election data suggests overall turnout may have exceeded 60 percent, reflecting steady engagement despite political tensions.
The election, called nearly two years ahead of schedule, was shaped by concerns over the cost of living, global economic pressures and fallout from U.S. visa restrictions linked to the country’s citizenship-by-investment programme.
Despite those issues, Browne campaigned on economic stability and continued development, pointing to a strong tourism recovery and ongoing infrastructure expansion.
The decisive victory now strengthens his mandate, but also raises questions about the future of the opposition, which faces internal challenges after significant losses at the polls.
Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.
May 4, 2026 – This is not just a family dispute. It is a fight over control of a tourism empire.
At the centre is Adam Stewart, who has secured a series of legal victories across the region as challenges continue over the estate and leadership structure of Sandals Resorts International.
The multi-billion-dollar conglomerate was built by the late Gordon “Butch” Stewart, whose passing in 2021 set off a complex and ongoing dispute involving family members, estate arrangements and control of the business.
In recent rulings, courts in both The Bahamas and Jamaica have reinforced Adam Stewart’s position, effectively allowing him to continue leading the company while defending his role against legal challenges.
One key issue has centred on the interpretation of estate provisions, including whether defending his leadership could jeopardise his inheritance. The courts have ruled in his favour, clearing the way for him to maintain control without penalty.
For now, those decisions bring a measure of stability to one of the Caribbean’s most influential tourism brands.
But the matter is far from settled.
Multiple legal challenges and competing claims within the Stewart family remain active, meaning the future structure of the company is still being contested.
The implications stretch well beyond the courtroom.
Sandals operates across several Caribbean nations, including The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, making it a critical player in regional tourism, employment and investment.
Any uncertainty at the top of the organisation has the potential to ripple across economies that rely heavily on the brand’s continued expansion and stability.
For now, Adam Stewart remains firmly in charge. He was named Executive Chairman of Sandals Resorts International in 2021.
Still, many are keen on the outcomes of ongoing litigation, as the battle over one of the Caribbean’s most powerful business empires is still unfolding.
Angle by Deandrea Hamilton. Built with ChatGPT (AI). Magnetic Media — CAPTURING LIFE.