Connect with us

Caribbean News

Work Underway to Improve Sections of West End Road in Negril

Published

on

#MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica – October 18, 2020 — The National Works Agency (NWA) and Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) have partnered to effect improvements along sections of West End Road in Negril, Westmoreland at a cost of $23 million.

Community Relations Officer for the NWA’s Western Office, Janel Ricketts, says the project involves the construction of sidewalks along critical sections of the roadway.

These includes areas in the vicinity of St. Mary’s Anglican Church as well as the Negril Branch Library, which is in close proximity to the Negril Primary School.

“So it will improve pedestrian safety for the users of that particular roadway, primarily the students who attend the institution,” she told JIS News.

Advertisement

Additionally, Ms. Ricketts said that a section of the roadway, in the vicinity of the library, which was been undermined, will be repaired.

“This will include the construction of a gabion retaining wall to protect the roadway from coastal action. We will also be filling in sections of the roadway as we complete the gabion work, and will be putting asphaltic concrete in place,” she further indicated. 

The project also involves drain cleaning and improvement of the drainage system along the roadway, inclusive of the construction of curb and channel drains, and a V drain.

            The works, which are being undertaken by Britalex Construction Company Limited and commenced in early October, are expected to be significantly completed by the end of the year.

Magnetic Media is a Telly Award winning multi-media company specializing in creating compelling and socially uplifting TV and Radio broadcast programming as a means for advertising and public relations exposure for its clients.

Caribbean News

Government Considers Vaccine Requirement for New Admissions to Infirmaries

Published

on

#Jamaica, December 7, 2021 – Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, says the Government is considering a vaccine requirement for new entrants to the island’s infirmaries, once admissions resume.

“What we are looking to do is that once we start to readmit persons to the infirmaries, one of the conditions that will be laid out is that new cases coming into the infirmaries must be fully vaccinated before they are admitted,” he said in an interview with JIS News.

“We have to do that to safeguard the population in our infirmaries,” he pointed out.

He said that the Ministry is also looking at allowing visits to facilities by fully vaccinated family members during the Christmas season.

“Last year, we partnered with Digicel and we used technology as a means of allowing loved ones to communicate with their relatives inside of the infirmaries. This year, we are looking to see if we can do it on a limited, face-to-face basis, once we have agreed… where people, who would want to visit their relatives in the infirmaries… must be fully vaccinated,” he said.

“I also want to stress that they must come with a negative COVID test that is [taken within] 72 hours, and we will limit visits based on appointments,” he pointed out.

“So, you would make your appointments, you would come at the time given and we will be creating areas such as the therapeutic park [being built at the Trelawny Infirmary], as a means of allowing loved ones [to visit] during the festive season once we have worked out the protocols. That is the approach we will be taking,” the Minister outlined.

Mr. McKenzie said the Government will always be sympathetic to the plight of the poor, noting that those with loved ones inside the infirmaries can be assured that they are being cared for by a committed and dedicated team of professionals.

He said that while 70 per cent of the island’s infirmary staff has already been vaccinated, every effort is being made to get the remaining 30 per cent on board, noting that taking the vaccine has proven to be the most effective way to keep the COVID-19 pandemic under control.

 

Contact: Garwin Davis

Release: JIS

 

 

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Minister Bartlett Elected Chair of Inter-American Committee on Tourism

Published

on

#UnitedStatesofAmerica, December 7, 2021 –  Tourism Minister, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, has been elected by acclamation as the new Chairman of the Organization of American States (OAS) Inter-American Committee on Tourism (CITUR).

Minister Bartlett came out ahead of the candidates from Paraguay and Ecuador for the chairmanship at a meeting on Tuesday (November 30).  Both countries will now serve as Vice Chair of the CITUR.

Chair of the OAS’ Inter-American Council for Integral Development, Jamaica’s Ambassador to the United States (US), Audrey Marks, congratulated Minister Bartlett on behalf of the member states.

“I wish you… much success in the work that you will be leading as we begin deliberations to prepare the draft work plan based on the Declaration of Paraguay towards the reconstruction and rebuilding of tourism post coronavirus (COVID-19),” she said.

Minister Bartlett, in his response, called on all member states to work together to complete the plans and policy programmes that they had started.   This, he said, “would require a greater sense of innovation, as we cannot continue with things as they are”.

“We must now seek to find new ways to deal with new disruptions that seem destined to follow this pandemic,” he added.

Minister Bartlett thanked member states for the confidence placed in him by way of his election to the chair of the committee.  He pledged to be a strong, fruitful, and vibrant chairman and called for the support of each member state.

“We have so much to do, and I know the Americas are depending on us to chart the way to recovery and to thrive after recovery,” he said.

 

Contact: Derrick Scott

Release: JIS

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CIBS FirstCaribbean Aids Hands For Hunger Food Security Commitment

Published

on

#TheBahamas, December 7, 2021 – In January alone, nearly 30,000 pounds of food was distributed to Bahamians in need by Hands For Hunger.

As March approaches and the National Food Distribution Task Force is expected to cease, the non-profit organization has already committed to continue supporting communities still in need and CIBC FirstCaribbean recently made a donation to Hands For Hunger to assist with its efforts.

Ms. Keisha Ellis, Hands For Hunger’s Executive Director underscored that many families never imagined they would ever need food assistance “so we are happy to be able to step in with boxes of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and wholegrains to provide some comfort in these difficult times.”

With the bank’s support, those families, as well as senior citizen and children’s homes, and other community organizations, will remain on the receiving end of food deliveries and vouchers.

“It’s these donations that are really the difference between us getting food to our agencies one week and not getting it there during another”, said Ms. Ellis who is “grateful for the support from CIBC.”

Mrs. Nikia Christie, CIBC FirstCaribbean’s Marketing Manager, commended Hands For Hunger for its unwavering commitment to the thousands it serves.

“We know that 90% of every dollar given goes directly into food purchases and that your turn around time on turning funds to food for families is astounding.”

She continued, “The bank recognizes Hands For Hunger’s balancing act as it continues distributing to its partner agencies and now commits to doing the same for those impacted by COVID-19.

“Like so many non-profit organizations across the country, you have gone above and beyond for Bahamians in need.”

Hands For Hunger has regularly served forty partner agencies for over ten years. Task Force Operations became a second arm of the organization due to the increased food insecurity brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic last year.

Ms. Ellis said the introduction of the Task Force “was a really interesting challenge because prior to COVID-19, about 98% of Hands For Hunger’s outreach was through its agencies.”

This percentage shifted as the organization took on 6,000 families in the southwestern and southeastern parts of New Providence.

CIBC FirstCaribbean has assisted in the fight against COVID-19 and its dire impacts through the donation of hygiene and school supplies to classrooms, personal protective equipment (PPE) to frontline healthcare workers, and financially supporting children’s homes, The Salvation Army, Bahamas Red Cross, Great Commission Ministries, Lend A Hand Bahamas, and now Hands For Hunger.

The bank also carried out a number of initiatives, such as the CIBC FirstCaribbean Unsung Frontline Hero competition, and COVID-19 relief to eligible clients through moratoria and other special relief offerings.

 

Press Release: CIBC FirstCaribbean

PhotoCaption: CIBC FirstCaribbean recently made a donation to Hands For Hunger to assist with its efforts in the fight against food insecurity. Photo Credit: ashley@serenawilliams-pr.com

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING