#Providenciales, August 1, 2019 – Turks and Caicos – MFishing interests, restaurants and the general public are reminded of the opening of Lobster Season on Thursday, August 15th 2019. The season will run through to March 1st, 2020.
Restrictions relating to crawfish, as per Section 15 of the Fisheries Protection Ordinance (Ordinance 5 of 1941), as amended, are listed below:
- Crawfish size
restrictions are as follows:
- When whole, a length of 3.25 inches measured from the front of the groove between the horns directly above the eyes, along the middle of the back to the rear edge of the back shell; or
- When the tail has been separated, a tail weight of 5 ounces whether processed or not;
- Fishers are not to be in the possession of any egg-bearing crawfish;
- Fishers are not to remove eggs from egg-bearing crawfish;
- Fishers are not to take or be in possession of moulting / soft-shelled crawfish or crawfish in early stages of spawning (described as appearing ‘tar-spotted’); and
- Fishers are to ensure that the crawfish are landed unharmed and whole after being taken and landed at processing plants or at home, unless processed at sea as per the terms of the processing license.
The DECR appeals to citizens, residents and visitors in the Turks & Caicos Islands, to familiarise themselves with and to uphold the Fisheries Regulations, and urges all responsible citizens to call the DECR at 338 4170 or email email@example.com to report any violations.