July 26, 2019 – The Caribbean Democrat Union (CDU) held its second annual Policy Paper Competition which ran from 26th June to 18th July 2019. A total of twelve (12) policy papers were submitted from CDU sister party members from across the region.
The topics for this year’s competition included:
- Gender Equality, a pre-requisite for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in the Caribbean by 2030.
- UK – Caribbean Relations and Brexit: Opportunities for Trade
- Youth, Political Participation and Governance – Planning for the Next Generation of Leaders.
- Climate Change – The Existential Threat to the Development of the Caribbean.
The top four (4) papers were selected by policy experts from the UK Conservative Party and were also assessed by Dr. Hon. Godwin Friday, CDU Vice Chair for Policy Development and External Affairs, and Mr. Nick Francis, CDU Secretary General. The four (4) winners were:
- Senator Hon. Judd Cadet – New National Party (NNP), Grenada
- Ms. Anazette Olivera – United Democratic Party (UDP), Belize
- Ms. Terraine Webster – One Anguilla Youth (OAY)
- Mr. Luchiano Dupuis – Dominica Freedom Party
In addition to presenting their policy papers at an online webinar within the CDU network, the winners of this year’s competition will also be sponsored by the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) to attend the Big Tent Ideas Festival in London on August 31st 2019.
Hon. Dr. Godwin Friday, extended his congratulations to the winners and to all those who participated in this year’s competition which saw an increase in submissions than the previous year.
The aim of this annual activity is to encourage policy development among members of the CDU and provide opportunities for important dialogue on issues affecting the Caribbean region.