Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Stakeholders Laud Benefits of Solar Car Park

Published

on

#Nassau, March 8, 2019 – Bahamas – As the solar car park project is slated to be officially opened on March 18, 2019, Senior Environmental Officer with the Ministry of the Environment and Housing, Dr. Rhianna Neely-Murphy gave insight on the project, during a recent site visit of the 900-kilowatt solar car park at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium.

“The Ministry of the Environment and Housing is responsible for renewable energy in The Bahamas,” Dr. Neely-Murphy said. “This is the largest project that we have been able to get off the ground so far, and it is the first one that we have been able to do through a grant. This is totally grant funded.”

Dr. Neely-Murphy noted that the project was the result of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Governments of the United Arab Emirates and The Bahamas in 2017.

“We are happy to have this as a display piece to awaken the minds of Bahamians, with respect to what can happen in their individual lives; and what could happen for us as a country, with respect to renewable energy and diversifying how we ‘flip our switches’,” she said.

Dr. Neely-Murphy noted that, as an Environmental Scientist and as a Bahamian, the sensibility of using solar power in the nation is apparent, especially when costs in the long term are considered.

Environmental Officer, Lyndee Bowe reiterated the importance of renewable energy for The Bahamas and noted that the Solar Car Park project had the significance of being a pilot project that could enable similar projects to be continued throughout the archipelago.

“We intend to roll out a number of solar initiatives this year; and this is just the first of many,” she said.

Project Coordinator at the National Stadium, Scott Ferguson pointed out that the stadium was directly affected by the projected as a beneficiary and noted talks that were ongoing at that time. He added that as a Bahamian he was “tremendously excited” about such a solar project.

“The facility, itself, will benefit a lot of the Bahamian public in terms of the power driving into the grid,” he said. “Each home consumes about 2.4 kilowatts of power. This facility is 900 kilowatts of power; so we are looking at about 600 homes being able to benefit from some of this power.

“It is one of the first prototypes that we see in the country, and we hope to see more.”

Senior Project Manager with Cavalier Construction Robert Hall noted that from an industry viewpoint, the project is good because it allowed the utilization of their skills in their trade.

“The work, from our point of view, was excavation, reinforced concrete, structural steel work and fixing solar panels,” Mr. Hall said. “It is good because of the utilization of labour … and the labour was all Bahamian.”

He noted that it was a three-month projected that incorporated an approximately 30-member work force. He added that he thought that a solar project such as that one was a “brilliant” idea for The Bahamas.

“I think that the Family Islands would benefit with this an awful lot,” Mr. Hall said. “There is an outlay to it, to put it in place; but it is the natural resources – you have the sun, you have plenty of sun. I think that it is a great idea, to be honest.”

By: Eric Rose

Release: BIS

Photo Captions:

Header: The 900-kilowatt solar car park at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium that is slated to be officially opened on March 18, 2019.

Insert: Senior Environmental Officer with the Ministry of the Environment and Housing Dr. Rhianna Neely-Murphy (left), Environmental Officer, Lyndee Bowe and Project Coordinator at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium, Scott Ferguson speak during a recent site visit of the 900-kilowatt solar car park at the National Stadium. The project is slated to be officially opened on March 18, 2019.

(BIS Photo/Eric Rose)

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING