Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Thirty Percent of NTA’s “Cohort 8” Employed at Point of Graduation

Published

on

#Bahamas, January 29, 2018 – Nassau – Minister of Labour, Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes applauded the National Training Agency (NTA) for efforts that yielded a group of graduates, 30 percent of whom by completion of their studies had already gained employment, and 45 percent were being considered for employment.

At the ceremonies at NTA on Thursday evening, January 25, 2018, the Minister said special thanks were to NTA for facilitating the first ever cruise line workforce recruitment exercise with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line that hired 120 Bahamians and has plans to hire 200 Bahamians annually.  Minister Foulkes also anticipated NTA Family Island expansion in the near future.

POINT GRACE INSERT FIX

A total of 215 students of “Cohort 8” graduated from NTA (National Training Agency) and received their certificates, pins and awards.  Four weeks of “soft skills” training followed by 10 weeks of technical skills training (14 weeks total) produced certified individuals in Hospitality, Allied Health, Auto Body, Office Procedures, Microsoft Office/Quickbooks, Customer Service, Retail Business Skills, and Teacher’s Aide.

2R0A3673Special Award recipients were: Janet Darling, Menelik Darling, Willisha Penn, Livingston Munroe, Brennika Coleby, Micquelle Rolle, D’Angeria Taylor, Ebonee Turnquest, Kyle Scriven, Dymond Moss, and Niketra Rolle.

Cohort 8 recipient of the esteemed ‘Executive Director’s Award’ was Steffon Miller.  He began his speech by quoting Malcolm X, saying: “The future belongs to those who prepare today”.  He reflected on his experiences at the NTA while highlighting that his favourite memory was a teamwork exercise.   Steffon extended special congratulations to his classmates who were trained in Microsoft Office 2013 and all passed the national examination.   Mr. Miller also gave special thanks to his teacher, Mrs. Bethel and ended with a reminder that “Together we can make a difference… put God first.”

Minister Foulkes congratulated students who completed “competency based training where they gained employments skills that the country needs for a globally competitive work force.”  The Minister also highlighted the six hearing-impaired students among the graduates.  He undertook to ensure that NTA is open and accessible to all Bahamians, just like it was to these graduates, free of charge.

PTS INSERT

Executive Director of NTA Gadville McDonald said to the graduates, “You have done it.  Tonight, you make us proud.”  He also shared a personal perspective: “We all can grow, and grow we must. You all have grown.”  He ended by assuring the graduates that NTA will be contacting them to applaud them along their journey and inform them of further training programs.

By: Sydnei L. Isaacs 

Photo caption: NTA Graduation, January 25, 2018 – Students, parents, instructors, and officials in attendance.  Minister of Labour, Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes is shown presenting training certificate to Steffon Miller, who was also the recipient of the ‘Executive Director’s Award.’  NTA Executive Director Gadville McDonald is at left.

(BIS Photos/Raymond A. Bethel, Sr.)

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING