Turks and Caicos, June 22, 2017 – Grand Turk – His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 16th meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday, 21 June 2017, at the Hon. Hilly Ewing Building on Providenciales.
All Ministers were present except the Hon. Deputy Premier and the Hon. Minister of Home Affairs, Transportation and Communication.
At this meeting Cabinet:
· Noted the financial performance of the TCI Government for the first month of the financial year as submitted in the Financial Report for the month of April 2017 by the Accountant General. Cabinet further noted the government’s strategy and proposals to mitigate against the risk of not meeting revenue targets including regular monitoring of departmental and statutory body spending and budget plans;
· Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism (Taxation) (Designated Restaurant) Order 2017 and to approve commencement of the Order and of the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism (Taxation) (Amendment) Ordinance 2017 with effect from 1 August 2017;
· Received an information paper on the state of preparedness in TCI for the 2017 hurricane season. Cabinet agreed the need for Ministers to raise significantly the level of hurricane readiness across all TCI government departments, agencies and National Disaster Sub-Committees as a matter of urgency;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Minister of Health on the reconciliation exercise on the Interhealth Canada contract. A full report on the reconciliation exercise would be submitted to the next meeting of Cabinet;
· Received an up-date on the outcome of the public consultation on the proposed change of use of the Green Door on Grand Turk for temporary prison accommodation;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Premier on funds held by the TCI statutory bodies which are to be remitted to central public funds;
· Received an up-date on the terms of reference for the accountancy audit of the NHIP;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Premier on progress on and plans for implementation of the capital projects programme;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Minister of Environment on the disposal of the seized catch of marine product from the Capitan Blaze fishing vessel;
· At the request of His Excellency the Governor, received an up-date by the Hon. Minister of Environment on the salvage of the Mega-One Triton vessel on Governor’s Beach on Grand Turk including on measures to address His Excellency the Governor’s concerns about the immediate threat posed to public safety by the vessel in its present state;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Premier on the government’s proposed investment and refurbishment policies;
· Received an up-date by the Hon. Minister of Environment on the public consultation on a proposed shark sanctuary in TCI and on his attendance at the recent Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) “Caribbean Week” meeting in New York.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.
Press Release: TCIG