Connect with us

Bahamas News

Prime Minister visits Antiquities, Monuments, and Museum Corporation

Published

on

DSC_7890Bahamas, June 22, 2017 – Nassau – The construction and/or renovation of a National Museum of The Bahamas has tremendous potential in terms of not only preserving the country’s history for future generations of Bahamians, but also in generating job and wealth creation opportunities for Bahamians of all walks of life, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert Minnis said Wednesday.

Just last week, the Prime Minister proposed the construction of a National Museum of The Bahamas not only for the benefit of Bahamians, but also as a heritage experience for tourists. The Prime Minister said the construction of a National Museum of The Bahamas would reap great dividends for the country.

On Wednesday (June 21), Prime Minister Minnis said whether the National Museum of The Bahamas will be constructed as a free-standing facility or through the renovation of existing space at “Centreville” (where the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation is currently located in the old Ministry of Education Headquarters Compound on Shirley Street and Collins Avenue) is a matter that will be up for discussion with officials at the Corporation which is headed by Dr. Keith Tinker, Ph.D., Director of the National Museum of The Bahamas, the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation (AMMC).

“The Bahamas has great potential in terms of our history and our historic sites and we have to grasp the opportunity,” Prime Minister Minnis said. “It’s unfortunate they (Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation) do not have a proper museum within which to display that history. That must be dealt with as we move forward because Bahamians are losing a lot of their history.

“We must see to it that a proper museum is either constructed or renovated in order to give Bahamians and visitors alike an opportunity to see these artifacts being displayed properly so that they will be able to get a glimpse into our great Bahamian history.

DSC_7962“Whether we will construct a free standing museum or renovate what is here now, is a discussion they and I will have going forward, but the bottom line is we must have a proper museum to display the various artifacts found within The Bahamas – plus its an excellent attraction for both tourists and residents.”

Prime Minister Minnis made his comments while visiting facilities at the site of the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation. The tour was part of the Prime Minister’s ongoing familiarization visits to government corporations, ministries and departments that fall under the purview of the Office of the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Minnis’ most recent visit was to the Department of Lands and Surveys. Officials there say it was the first time a Minister at any level had visited the Department in almost thirty years. As with all of his previous familiarization visits, the Prime Minister was accompanied by Mr. Jack Thompson, Permanent Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister.

“I am an ardent believer in culture. I think it has a great role to play in terms of attracting cruise and airlift tourists to our shores and expanding economic opportunities for Bahamians while also increasing revenue,” Prime Minister Minnis said.

“Ours is a richly textured culture. Our history, music, food, dance, art, craft and our folkways are distinctly different. We must fully capitalize on our culture and heritage to add a more vibrant visitor experience.”

Prime Minister Minis said twenty-first century travelers are seeking more than the proverbial sun, sand and sea experience.

“They travel in search of unique and authentic experiences. The Bahamas has a rich culture that can provide those experiences and should be tapped into to generate additional tourism revenue.”

Prime Minister Minnis encouraged executives at the Antiquities, Monuments and Museum Corporation to develop a Master Plan for the development of the National Museum of The Bahamas – one that would allow for job and wealth creation for a larger number of Bahamians.

DSC_7973“Government obviously does not have all of the necessary resources to do certain things and I am an ardent believer in privatization because through privatization you expand wealth,” Prime Minister Minnis said.

“When I say privatize, I am not suggesting privatizing to any select group, but the kind of privatization that will create wealth and expand wealth to give everybody an opportunity. Individuals can have great ideas, but not necessarily the resources. Government’s responsibility should be to create opportunities for them so that you can create wealth, but not confine it (wealth) to one location. If you do that with the multiple forts that we have for example, then you would be surprised at the amount of jobs you create, the amount of opportunities you create and that’s the type of privatization I prefer, the kind that expands wealth and create job opportunities for more Bahamians,” Prime Minister Minnis added.

Press Release: BIS

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING