Connect with us

Bahamas News

Don Saunders Promises Change After Winning Tall Pines Seat

Published

on

Bahamas, May 15, 2017 – Nassau – The Tall Pines member of parliament, Free National Movement (FNM)’s Don Saunders won his constituency with a staggering 2514 votes in last week’s general election. Saunders spoke to Magnetic Media about why he thinks he won and the changes he is ready to make in Tall Pines.

“I told them that its time to pass on the baton. I told them with Don Saunders as their member of parliament, they’re gonna be able to see what’s going on in their constituency. I promised that I won’t let them down”, he said.

Two of the most pressing issues in the Tall Pines constituency are crime and the lack of a community Centre. This, Saunders says that he will fix. “I promised that we are going to work on building their community Centre. I promised to establish a Community Association and a Crime Watch Association.” He also promised Tall Pines residents plans to establish a local chamber of commerce, as well as a Tall Pines Educational Fund.

With a long list of promises, Saunders says the first on his agenda is to fix the dump issue in Tall Pines. The dump is great health hazard for the people of Tall Pines, as residents are constantly affected by the smoke and the smell.

Don Saunders has served in many capacities in the FNM since 2002, including Council member, National Deputy Secretary and Executive member.

The official results of the Tall Pines constituency were as follows:

Donald Saunders FNM 2514

Philip Ewing BCP 14
Fredrick Rolle BNCP 3
Kishon Turner DNA 209
and incumbent, Leslie Miller PLP 2293

#magneticmedianews

#donsaunderstallpinesvictory

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

RBDF Congratulates Retired Commander Defence Force on National Honour Award 

Published

on

#TheBahamas, October 13, 2021 – The Royal Bahamas Defence Force congratulates Commodore Retired Leon Livingstone Smith, who was a recipient of the 2021 National Honours Awards on October 11, 2021. 

During a ceremony at the British Colonial Hilton Hotel, West Bay Street, Commodore Smith was presented with the Order of Distinction within the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, by Governor-General, the Most Honorable Sir Cornelius A. Smith. Also in attendance were his daughter, Mrs. Italia Seymour, and the Commander Defence Force, Commodore Dr. Raymond King.

Commodore Smith was one of sixteen other deserving individuals recognized on National Heroes Day for the vast contributions they made to the development of the country. The first Bahamian Officer to be appointed as Commander Defence Force, he is the longest-serving Commodore to serve this office from 1983 to 1997.

Throughout his military career, he received numerous awards and accolades, and his career in public life spanned over forty years, and on September 19, 2014, an RBDF Legend Class Vessel bearing his name was commissioned. The Royal Bahamas Defence Force is truly grateful for the devoted services of Commodore Smith to the organization and his country.

Commander Defence Force, Commodore Dr. Raymond King extends congratulations on his behalf of the members of his Executive Command, Officers, Senior Enlisted, and Junior Enlisted members of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, to Commodore Retired Leon Smith, on his great accomplishment.

 

Header:  Commodore Retired Leon Smith being presented with the Order of Distinction within the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, by Governor-General, the Most Honorable Sir Cornelius A. Smith on October 11, 2021, during a ceremony at the British Colonial Hilton Hotel, West Bay Street.

Insert: Commodore Retired Leon Smith along with recipients of the 2021 National Honours Awards on October 11, 2021, during a ceremony at the British Colonial Hilton Hotel, West Bay Street.

(RBDF Photos by Able Seaman Paul Rolle II)

 

(For further information please contact the RBDF Public Relations Department or visit our website: www.rbdf.gov.bs, follow us on FacebookTwitter and view our Youtube channel) 

-rbdf- 

#GuardOurHeritage 

#MarlinSpike 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

TCI Premier and Tourism Minister lead delegation  at NABHOOD Summit

Published

on

#TurksandCaicos, October 13, 2021 – The Hon. Premier, Charles Washington Missick and Hon. Josephine Connolly Minister for tourism attended the 8th Annual International Multicultural & Heritage Tourism Summit and Trade Show. This summit was held at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel from October 8th to 10th. The theme of this year’s Summit was ‘Gaining Economic Powers Through Multicultural Tourism’. The summit was held by the National Association of Black Hotel Owners, Operators & Developers (NABHOOD)

Both the Hon. Premier and Minister for tourism were key panelist at the summit. The Premier sat with interviewer Vincent Vanderpool Wallace, former Minister of Tourism & Aviation of the Bahamas on a one on one interview entitled A conversation on The Turks and Caicos Islands. This discussion was extremely well received and allowed for the Premier to discuss factors attributing to the success of the Tourism industry in the islands and his vision for the sector.

Hon. Connolly joined a high caliber panel with three other industry experts on Saturday morning. Their discussion centered around Diversity in Tourism and the impact to the Destination. The Minister expanded on where Turks and Caicos’ industry was heading post pandemic, how it performed over the past months and insight into the future of Tourism in the Turks and Caicos Islands including the setting up of a Regulatory Authority and a Destination Management Organization.

Among others participating from the Turks and Caicos Islands were students and a chaperone from the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College Hospitality Program. The students had the opportunity to network with other US and Caribbean students at the summit.

It is clear that the growth of the Tourism sector in the TCI and the fact that we continue to perform well despite the challenges of COVID 19, is of interest to many. Also of note is the vision articulated by the Premier as he noted; ‘it is imperative that we provide opportunities within the Tourism sector for the growth of investment and local ownership. Turks and Caicos Islanders must benefit directly from the growth of this sector’. The Premier noted that much of his efforts will be to promote investment and ownership by Turks and Caicos Islanders as much as possible.

The Hon. Minister of Tourism stated her pride in representing the country and sector at this summit; ‘This is the first opportunity I have had to present our island on a panel for some time. This year despite COVID 19, we saw arrival numbers that even exceeded pre-COVID 19 during the summer months. I can say that our protocols, our partnerships, our pre-screening program and our COVID 19 marketing strategy all contributed to this success.’

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Mother asks for Psych Test of man arrested for Damaging Columbus Statue

Published

on

#TheBahamas, October 13, 2021 – The Bahamas now knows it was Shavandaze Smith, a 37 year old Nassau man, believed to be mentally challenged that was arrested by the police for damaging Government property and other offences, after he allegedly used a sledge-hammer to destroy the statue of Christopher Columbus at the Government House on Duke Street.

Smith, at the time of his arrest which was on Saturday October 9, was reported to have been found to be in possession of a bulletproof vest. Social media accounts of the incident shows him shouting and the statue of the Italian explorer being broken off with, what appeared to have been physically exhausting blows to the likeness of the so called “Founder of the New World”.

The incident has also reignited debates around the issue of whether or not leaders of the Colonial period should continue to have major standing in Caribbean societies. Several persons have posted on social media that they are in support of the man’s alleged action.

One social media posted “As a Bahamian this sickens and embarrasses me. Columbus was responsible for many terrible things, for which he should be held in contempt, but he is also a part of our history, and those of us who wish to pull ourselves out of the primordial sludge of ignorance understand that. Hate and stupidity. Although I’m sure the haters will be writing letters to the editor calling this idiot a “hero”. It’s a New Day!

While another said to one user who condemned the alleged action, “That D- education of yours has obviously left you without an unbiased account of the history of Christopher Columbus that is grounded in fact as opposed to fiction. And all of that internet browsing you do is unfortunately no substitute for your apparent lack of a good education in your more formative years.”

According to reports from the police, sometime around 1:20 p.m., officers from the Operations Unit were dispatched to Government House. On the officers’ arrival they met an adult male in the act of causing damage to the statue of Christopher Columbus, with the use of a sledgehammer.

It adds, that the male was also found in possession of a bullet proof vest, for which he could not give a satisfactory account, and “suspect was arrest and taken into custody for Damage to Government Property and Unlawful Possession. Investigations into this matter continues,” the police said.

Mr. Smith has since appeared in court, and was charged with causing $2,000 worth of damage to the monument.  Shavandaze Smith’s mother, who was in the court at the time her son appeared ready to enter a plea to the charges of damage and trespassing, interrupted and requested a psychiatric evaluation of her son.

 

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING