Connect with us

News

DM Leader: CFO was leaving, Premier pulled sham

Published

on

Providenciales, TCI, November 18, 2016 – The UK appointed Chief Financial Officer will leave the Turks and Caicos in March 2017 but not because the Premier negotiated for it when he visited the UK earlier this month; the Governor’s Office yesterday informed Magnetic Media that Stephen Turnbull will leave because that is when his UK contract expires.

The question to the Governor Office by Magnetic Media came after PDM Leader, Sharlene Robinson responded to our query on where her party stands when it comes to the CFO.  “The fact that the CFO’s position had already been discussed with the Premier and the former Baron Duddridge, he had said to the Premier, that he would not be touching the position of CFO, contrary to what the Premier has said to this country, that he would not be touching the CFO’s position until his contract was expired March 2017.  So Turks and Caicos once again your Premier has been less than truthful.  That position has not been revoked, the contract has expired.”

The Governor’s Office said: ” The CFO’s contract is due to expire on 31 March 2017. That is also the date which Baroness Anelay has stated that the CFO slot will end.”   That slot is the constitutional removal by Order in Council, which she has promised Premier Rufus Ewing will happen also by March 2017.

The PDM took some hits for not supporting the stance of Ewing when he demanded that the CFO go; but Robinson characterized the move as an election ploy and that the PNP did not make the British remove the CFO; that he was going anyway.

“And the People’s Democratic Movement stood together, though not documented in an official position, but we’ve communicated to the Solicitor General, with the Deputy Leader present, with the Attorney General present, with the Governor present that we will not support the continuing of that role once the guarantee was paid off.  So for the record, it has not been revoked, the contract for the current CFO actually expires March 2017, and that’s when they will not renew another, and because we’ve taken the same position as the PNP, there will be no further CFO.”

 

Health

Woman dies on Tuesday; 32nd Covid Death for Turks & Caicos

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#TurksandCaicos, January 20, 2022 – The Turks and Caicos has recorded its 32nd death related to COVID-19.

A Ministry of Health press release informed that the individual who was in quarantine in Grand Turk and requested emergency aid on Tuesday; response came from the public health team in Grand Turk.

The person, who we are told is a special needs young woman – was unvaccinated and had underlying medical conditions.

The death rate in the Turks and Caicos of both vaccinated and unvaccinated persons has climbed alarmingly this year.  In the 21-month period from March 2020 when the country recorded its first case to December 2021, there were 26 deaths recorded in the TCI.

In the 19 days since the start of 2022 that number has increased to 32; which means six deaths already in January.

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Cruising should slow down says PAHO

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

‘Slow down on Cruising’, that’s the word from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO in their latest recent press conference.

Dr. Ciro Ugarte Director of Health Emergencies at the PAHO was referring to the Bahamas but made sure to note that the advice was highly relevant to many countries in the times of omicron.

“In the context of intense transmission, due to the Omicron variant as we have highlighted several times. It is just logical to suspend or at least limit the cruise ship traffic as an outbreak on board might end up exceedingly high and probably will go beyond the capacity of local health services”

Both the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos are experiencing a massive uptick in cases and several warnings regarding cruise travel have been issued by the US Centers for Disease Control.

Cruising just resumed for many regional countries this past Summer, Turks and Caicos was among the latest to restart on December 13.

A stop to sailing would be devastating to economies, however, ports of call like Grand Turk which are reeling with rocketing case numbers of COVID are urged to consider the suggestion of slowing down on ships by PAHO.

Continue Reading

Caribbean News

Cayman gets its second ‘Sir’; former Premier Alden McLaughlin knighted on Jan 1

Published

on

By Dana Malcolm

Staff Writer

 

#Cayman, January 20, 2022 – Former Premier of Cayman Alden McLaughlin was knighted at the start of 2022; named in the Queen’s New Year Honors List. He is only the second Caymanian to have ever received a knighthood from her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Sir Vassel Johnson, received the honour in 1994; he was Cayman’s first Financial Secretary; he died in November 2008 at the age of 86.

Current Governor, Martyn Roper extended congratulations saying, “This is an outstanding personal achievement for former Premier McLaughlin, one of the most important and impactful political leaders in Cayman over the last 21 years. It is a significant moment for our islands. This historic award is only the second ever Knighthood to a Caymanian since the first in the 1990s. It is a strong signal of the respect in which Cayman is held and a visible demonstration of the progress Cayman has made as a vibrant democracy with strong good governance foundations.”

Sir McLaughlin, who is also now a QC attorney, served two terms as premier and had a career in politics that spanned 21 years. McLaughlin is known for his role in modernizing Cayman’s constitution.

Current premier G. Wayne Panton described the occasion as a unifying moment for the country saying, This is a day of celebration and great pride for all Caymanians as a son of our soil has been bestowed one of the highest honour.  Today marks a new and most unique storyline in the history of the Cayman Islands.  In considering the rarity and magnitude of this occasion, this is certainly a unifying moment for our community.”

Sir Alden McLaughlin, 60, was appointed as a Knight Commander of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George on January 1, 2022.

 

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING