June 3, 2016: The Ministry of Health, following consultation with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) would like to inform the public that currently the number of confirmed cases of Zika Virus in Trinidad stands at 40.
While the Ministry of Health continues its efforts to monitor Zika and other mosquito borne diseases, citizens are encouraged to follow the under-mentioned steps to prevent infection of themselves and their loved ones:
- Dispose of all unwanted containers/items in the yard or environs which can collect water and become mosquito breeding grounds.
- Cover water containers such as barrels, drums or buckets with a mosquito proof covering.
- Ensure that your drains and guttering allow the free flow of water.
- Empty and scrub the sides of water vases or use dirt or sand instead to support flowers.
- Cover extremities when out in the evenings.
- Use bed nets that are tightly tucked under the mattress for protection at night.
- Use insect repellent that contains DEET as an active ingredient.