Connect with us

Bahamas News

BAHAMAS: Minister Dames States Law Enforcement Response to Recent Homicides

Published

on

#Nassau, June 19, 2018 – Bahamas – Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames said, on June 17, 2018, that the recent string of murders over the past two weeks, including that morning’s homicide, must be very alarming to the Bahamian public, and rightfully so.

“The loss of any human life is a tragic and heartbreaking experience particular for family members and, at this time, I would like to extend my condolences and that of the Bahamas Government to families of all victims of violence in this country,” Minister Dames said, during a press conference at the Paul Farquharson Conference Centre, Police Headquarters.  “Rest assured that the Royal Bahamas Police Force, and all law enforcement agencies, has the full support of the Ministry of National Security and by extension the Government of The Bahamas in providing necessary human capital and resources in the fight against crime fight.”

Minister Dames pointed out that, as crime is a fluid phenomena and much work is needed in the fight, law enforcement officials were making consistent inroads to reduce this menacing occurrence.  To date for 2018, he noted, there were 51 homicides reported which for the same period the previous year was 70 reported homicides – which reflected a 27.1 percent decrease.

“Although overall crime and murders are down we cannot take comfort in the fact that people are still losing their lives,” he said. “We cannot sit back while murders occur as one life is one too many.

Minister Dames added that the fight against crime and violence has to and will continue to be approached holistically.

“As the National Security Minister I am fully committed to providing the necessary legislative and policy framework which will allow our respective law enforcement agencies to improve upon their tactical approaches as we address crime within this 21st century,” he said.  “A key to the holistic approach to combating crime is the networking of all law enforcement agencies — locally and internationally.

“In fact, over the past week, The Bahamas is hosting Tradewinds 2018, which has brought together regional CARICOM and international law enforcement agencies so as to devise transnational strategies that will have a direct and indirect impact on The Bahamas.”

Minister Dames pointed out that The Bahamas does not manufacture guns or produce illicit drugs on a large scale; but the violence that had erupted over the past two weeks was directly linked to those illicit trades.  He noted that the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF), which was the first line of defense in the detection, deterrence and prevention of crime and violence was at that time undergoing organizational structural changes and all should begin to see the positive impact, in the near future.

“The recently published Manpower Audit noted that training of officers is too basic and does not meet 21st century standards in order to tackle crime trends in the country,” he noted.  “According to the 2011 study by Bradford entitled ‘Police Numbers and Crime Rates: A Rapid Evidence Review’, for every 100 officers recruited and deployed there should be a three percent decrease in crime statistics. Beginning with the recruitment of 105 recruits entering the Force, we will begin to employ some of the organizational strategies to remedy this vexing problem.”

Minister Dames revealed that he met with the Commissioner of Police and his Senior Command, and Commodore of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force and his Senior Command earlier that afternoon to address the recent increase in homicides and to get their strategic input moving forward.

“I am pleased and confident that the strategies articulated will address the current problems we face and there will be no let up,” he stated.  “The new strategy calls for the blanketing of New Providence which is increasing visibility, intensifying efforts against prolific offenders and continuing an all-out presence of hot spot areas with the intent to dismantle gangs and drug operations in particular.

“An investigative and intelligence component to bring closure to these most recent matters is also a part of the overall strategy,” Minister Dames added.  “I am pleased to say that the police have made a tremendous amount of inroads in these most recent matters and will continue to work to bring them all to closure.”

Minister Dames issued a stern warning to parents of young men roaming Bahamian streets.  He said: “We cannot have a society where young men are roaming our streets and taking out lives of hard working Bahamians.  This will not be tolerated.  We will use every tool at our disposal under the law of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, to ensure that every hardworking and law abiding Bahamian is kept safe.”

“If you choose to take on law enforcement with a firearm then there are consequences,” he added.  “The police without question will abide by the law, but one thing the police will not allow is for innocent people to fall victim at the hands of gun-toting thugs.”

 

By: Eric Rose (BIS)

 

1959
Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames speaks, on June 17, 2018, during a press conference addressing law enforcement’s response to recent homicides and other crimes, at the Paul Farquharson Conference Centre, Police Headquarters. (BIS Photo/Eric Rose)

 

 

1913
Minister of National Security the Hon. Marvin Dames speaks, on June 17, 2018, during a press conference addressing law enforcement’s response to recent homicides and other crimes, at the Paul Farquharson Conference Centre, Police Headquarters. Pictured (from left) are Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson, Minister Dames, Acting Permanent Secretary Eugene Poitier and Commander of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force Commodore Tellis Bethel. (BIS Photo/Eric Rose)

 

 

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

Bahama Brass Band Invitation Sparks Heritage Debate Ahead of TCI Constitutional Holiday

Published

on

Turks and Caicos, August 20, 2026 – The planned participation of the Bahama Brass Band in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ inaugural Constitutional Holiday celebrations on August 30 has sparked public debate over culture, heritage and the historical contributions of Turks and Caicos Islanders abroad.

Organizers defended the invitation, saying the band’s inclusion is intended to highlight the deep historical ties between the two countries and honor Turks and Caicos men who helped establish and develop the institution in Grand Bahama.

According to the organizers, the Bahama Brass Band began in 1955 in Pine Ridge, Freeport, with Turks and Caicos Islanders, including the late Deacon Reuben Hall Sr. of Middle Caicos and Jenkins Williams and Mervin Hendfield of North Caicos, among those who helped build its foundation. The band eventually grew to more than 50 men.

The organizers also pointed to the participation of Turks and Caicos men in The Bahamas’ Independence celebrations on July 10, 1973, arguing that their contributions became part of Bahamian history while maintaining strong connections to their homeland.

Supporters say bringing the band home represents an opportunity to honor those pioneers, showcase their regional influence and expose younger generations to an important part of Turks and Caicos history.

However, concerns raised publicly described the invitation as potentially disrespectful to local culture and heritage. Organizers acknowledged those concerns, apologizing to anyone who felt overlooked or offended, while maintaining that no disrespect was intended.

The committee said the event should ultimately unite rather than divide, presenting the band’s history as evidence of the reach and resilience of Turks and Caicos heritage.

PHOTO CREDIT: Bahamas Brass Band

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

CBC Supports Opportunities for Young Bahamian Basketball Players

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — Caribbean Bottling Company (CBC), local producers of Dasani products, proudly sponsored the fifth annual, Caribbean Hoopfest.

The tournament brings together Bahamian high school basketball teams and visiting teams from the United States for a competitive showcase at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium.  Following its inaugural year at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym and last year’s event at Loyola Hall, the tournament returned to the Kendal G. L. Isaacs gym this year.

During the weekend tournament, CBC kept athletes well hydrated with in-kind donations of Dasani Water, Powerade and Minute Maid Juices.

During the tournament’s final day, CBC provided additional support by offering Sprite No Sugar samples and inviting attendees to participate in its Spin the Wheel for a chance to win exciting prizes.

CBC was proud to support this incredible event, which provides young Bahamian athletes with valuable exposure to U.S. basketball scouts and coaches. This opportunity gives them the chance to earn scholarships, continue their education, and pursue their basketball careers in the United States.

Event organizer, Donald Francois shared his appreciation for CBC’s support.

“I want to express our sincere appreciation for Caribbean Bottling Company, who has been a tremendous supporter and an important part of the success of our program. Without CBC’s support, Caribbean Hoop Fest would not be able to function at the level it does today. And without Caribbean Hoop Fest, we would not have been able to provide the opportunities that have helped young Bahamian athletes gain exposure and pursue educational opportunities in the United States,” he expressed.

Since the program’s inception, several Bahamian student-athletes have been selected for scholarship opportunities, highlighting the tournament’s growing impact on the development and advancement of young basketball talent in The Bahamas.

They are: Kelvin McDowells – Guard, Wodson Antoine – Power Forward, Justin Lafleur – Guard and Sean John – Guard.

After another successful edition of the tournament, Francois shared what he hopes he and Caribbean Bottling Company can achieve in the future.

“Our vision is bigger than basketball. We want to use the platform of Caribbean Hoop Fest to educate, develop, and create opportunities for young people and their families throughout the Bahamas. With individuals and organizations committed to our mission, we believe we can continue to grow the program and make an even greater impact,” Francois said.

For more details on community support, events and new products visit Caribbean Bottling Company at www.cbcbahamas.com today.

Continue Reading

Bahamas News

More Bahamians Accessing HIV, STI Care Through NHI

Published

on

NASSAU, Bahamas — More Bahamians are accessing HIV and sexually transmitted infection-related healthcare through National Health Insurance, a trend the NHI Authority says should be viewed positively.

NHIA stressed in an August 6 statement that its 2025 figures measure healthcare utilisation, not newly diagnosed infections. They include beneficiaries screened, treated, monitored or receiving follow-up care, including people diagnosed previously.

“Increased utilisation of these services should be viewed as a positive development,” NHIA said.

The Authority pointed to “greater enrolment and use of NHI, improved access to screening and testing, continued treatment and monitoring of existing conditions, and increased willingness to seek medical care.”

The development comes amid a mixed three-year HIV picture. New diagnoses rose from 130 in 2023 to 156 in 2024, before declining to 142 in 2025.

NHIA said increased utilisation demonstrates that more beneficiaries are accessing needed healthcare and actively managing their health, reinforcing the importance of screening, early diagnosis and continued treatment.

Continue Reading

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

TRENDING